WAN to LAN throughput 1Gbps Router for my home.

duxck

Hello LTT Forums, 

Okay, for some reason it seems pretty difficult to find information about WAN to LAN throughput on routers. Either it is not published at the retailers or the product is marked for businesses in ways I don't know how to search for. 

So, can anyone point at a couple of brands/models of routers that support WAN to LAN / LAN to WAN throughput of at least 2gbps? I have currently 1gbps connection at home, with my current RT-N66U I get about 700mbps which isn't too bad for such an old router. 

I am however aware that I can squeeze out about 1.5 gbps when I connect my computer straight to the wall. 

I would prefer if the router doesn't have an Access Point built in.

I plan on purchacing a switch with PoE and WiFi 6 AP seperately so don't need many ports on the router. 

Hobbyist at networking but work as a software developer so some interest in the subject is here. Doesn't need to be user friendly.

21 minutes ago, duxck said:

Hello LTT Forums, 

Okay, for some reason it seems pretty difficult to find information about WAN to LAN throughput on routers. Either it is not published at the retailers or the product is marked for businesses in ways I don't know how to search for. 

So, can anyone point at a couple of brands/models of routers that support WAN to LAN / LAN to WAN throughput of at least 2gbps? I have currently 1gbps connection at home, with my current RT-N66U I get about 700mbps which isn't too bad for such an old router. 

I am however aware that I can squeeze out about 1.5 gbps when I connect my computer straight to the wall. 

I would prefer if the router doesn't have an Access Point built in.

I plan on purchacing a switch with PoE and WiFi 6 AP seperately so don't need many ports on the router. 

Hobbyist at networking but work as a software developer so some interest in the subject is here. Doesn't need to be user friendly.

I don't think either of these are in stock, but here you go.

image.png

Screenshot 2021-03-09 104359.png

I suspect what you're referring to is router throughput. E.g. the ability of a router to keep up with a high speed WAN connection and actually deliver the speed to devices on your network. 

A lot of this will come down to the specs of the router (CPU & RAM). Physical ports can also come into play as a 1gb ethernet port can't exceed its specification. 

The website Dong Knows Tech (dongknows.com) has reported on some of these throughput figures in the past but I have been unable to locate the articles. Tweaktown also reports some of these figures. See the attached chart. Source: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/9579/netgear-nighthawk-ax12-wireless-router/index.html

With my setup I have 1gb Fibre Internet connection. It's attached to a 1gb WAN port on my router (Netgear RAX120). The router then connects to a 10gb switch (Netgear XS508M) via its 5gb LAN port (note the 5gb port on this router can be used for LAN or WAN). From the 10gb switch I have a few computers connected and on each of them I can get the full speed the router is able to get; roughly 940mb down. The router has a built in speed test function so the same is achieved on the computers as the router. 

Lower end routers may struggle to pass through a full 1gb connection, especially if it is performing other functions (NAS storage, plex, QOS, etc). Definitely worth checking if your existing router is attempting any QOS shaping as that can impact the speed quite a bit. 

On the other side, there aren't many 'consumer' routers that will have more than one multi-gig port. You really start to get into the SMB space for options. 

tweak_rax120_throughput.JPG