Running Corsair SP, LL or HD 120/140 on a P6T (Electrical Pin vs Plug compatibility and Sanity check my solution please).

Theo Boss

Hi tech people, after days of searching and reading I think I'm close but this is something I really feel I need to have some input on from those in the know.. so I've joined the forums :) 

I'd really appreciate if people scrutinise some problem solving as well as contribute some smarts around the new Corsair Fan internal wiring configurations since externally its all one colour and I need to know this will work before I buy them.

Here is the backstory - because I can do it relatively cheaply, I’ve chosen to ride out the parts shortage by upgrading my PC to something that will tide me over until the parts market is back to normal. I’ll be going from i7 920 with 6gig RAM to probably a i7 975 Extreme of i7 980x + 12Gig Ram + undecided GPU and feel that should keep me playing most titles on modest settings I believe.

Anyway, as I upgrade the system specs I want to add some RGB .. just so I can enjoy something a bit different. Issue is my current Motherboard – the Asus P6T is great for upgrading however troublesome with the ‘bling’.

I’ve shortlisted Corsair SP, HD or LL120 and 140 fans (because of the control hub and software) however I need to trouble shoot some wiring as well.

There are 2 areas I’d appreciate assistance with:

1.       I’m I right to say that connecting one of the newer ‘Corsair Lighting Node RGB Hubs’ to one of my my USB ports (pics provided) and powering it with a SATA power cable and then running iQue software will solve my RBG control challenge?

2.       Now the BIG one as it relates to getting the electricals right matching my MB Fan pins and the Corsair female socket. I’m not 100% on this one and I’d prefer to double and triple check. Have a look at the pic of my available Fan pins (and manual) .. especially positioning and their electrical configuration. Left to right my 3 pin configuration is [ G, 12V, R ] . Now, based on how the electrical order on a new B550 board with 4 pins is configured I have made a ‘guess’ how the New Fan cables are configured... but before possibly shorting the ONLY Motherboard I have, can I please have a few people provide a consensus on how the Power Cable of a Corsair SP,LL or HD 120 / 140 Fan has the pins suited … see pic A = ?  B = ?  C = ? and D = ?.

3.       If, if, if and if (not to influence results for Q2), D = Fan PWM can I just chop the plug and insulate off to make the plug fit? You can see that in the P6T the area where the extra 4th pin would go is taken up in 2 out of 3 spots and even the 3rd is questionable – or is there an adaptor I can use? Obviously I don’t have PWN now in those spots other than on CPU so no big loss.

4.       Is there something I have not factored in / thought of?

Thanks all.

USB issue 1.jpg

Corsiar RGB question.png

3 pins issue.jpg

So I just discovered a Commander Pro.. not kidding. Oh well - I guess that makes most if not all of the above redundant. Unless there might be an issue with older USB ports but doesn't look like it.

Only question I have now from watching the Vid that highlighted the Commander Pro is whether the New Corsair Lighting Node Hub can control the different types of fans (SP / LL and HD) or if I need a separate node for each.

3 hours ago, Theo Boss said:

So I just discovered a Commander Pro.. not kidding. Oh well - I guess that makes most if not all of the above redundant. Unless there might be an issue with older USB ports but doesn't look like it.

Only question I have now from watching the Vid that highlighted the Commander Pro is whether the New Corsair Lighting Node Hub can control the different types of fans (SP / LL and HD) or if I need a separate node for each.

the core is just includes the hub in to it so it can hook a max of 6 fans well the non core with hub can do 12 fans with 2 hubs. the node is light only and the comander dose fan and light

Xx60jRA.png

rgb 18.jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links