I need convincing to upgrade my 3770k

skaughtz

Budget (including currency): N/A

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Single player AAA games. No workloads or other programs.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 1080Ti, 16GB 2133MHz DDR3 RAM, SATA SSD for OS/Programs, 4 x 1TB SATA HDDs for game storage, Blu Ray SATA disc drive, 1440p/1080p (mostly 1080p) at 60Hz.

I have that itch to upgrade my 3770k clocked at 4.5GHz because I like to tinker with computers, but I can't really convince myself that it is worth the hassle.  I could part out my existing rig on Ebay (Z77 motherboard, 3770k, 16GB 2133MHz DDR3 RAM) and probably bank around $200+/- on it while keeping all of the peripherals and GPU.  I had considered getting a Ryzen 5 3600 and b450 motherboard along with 16GB of 3200MHz DDR4, but even for the future proofing would it be worth it?  I really don't think that going newer/bigger than that would be worth the cost of upgrading right now.

I am not overly fond of first person shooters and mainly play stuff like Devil May Cry 5, GTAV, RDR2, a new Batman game if it comes out, Assassins Creed, etc., along with a bunch of child-friendly titles (for my 4 year old kid) that don't require great hardware.  I know that a 3600 is superior to my Ivy Bridge CPU in most every way, but with games being so GPU bound nowadays, I wonder if I am just going through FOMO about whether my current rig will hold up in value for long enough to actually make it worth selling to upgrade down the line, or if it is sooner rather than later that newer games are going to make my 3770k (which is still a monster for its age) obsolete.

Anyway, based on that, does anyone have a legitimate reason why I would want to upgrade? 1440p/1080p 60Hz/FPS single player AAA games with a 1080Ti.

...and actually, I have three of these systems that I built from mostly used parts over the years and use to play games at about the same settings, albeit the other two are sporting an RTX 2070 and 2060, so it has been nice to swap RAM, peripherals, and CPU coolers among them over the years.  If I chopped up and replaced one I would probably want to do the same with the other two.

Upgrading your CPU right now is probably a bad idea, so upgrade your monitor instead. Staying at 60Hz is leaving a lot of performance on the table, the 1080Ti is still a really strong card.

1 minute ago, Shoopman said:

Upgrading your CPU right now is probably a bad idea, so upgrade your monitor instead. Staying at 60Hz is leaving a lot of performance on the table, the 1080Ti is still a really strong card.

I should have mentioned that the systems are all Steam/Ubisoft/Epic console replacements and I play with a controller on my televisions.  Replacing all of those would be way more money than I would want to spend and there is no way I could get that past the wife.

16 minutes ago, skaughtz said:

Budget (including currency): N/A

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Single player AAA games. No workloads or other programs.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 1080Ti, 16GB 2133MHz DDR3 RAM, SATA SSD for OS/Programs, 4 x 1TB SATA HDDs for game storage, Blu Ray SATA disc drive, 1440p/1080p (mostly 1080p) at 60Hz.

I have that itch to upgrade my 3770k clocked at 4.5GHz because I like to tinker with computers, but I can't really convince myself that it is worth the hassle.  I could part out my existing rig on Ebay (Z77 motherboard, 3770k, 16GB 2133MHz DDR3 RAM) and probably bank around $200+/- on it while keeping all of the peripherals and GPU.  I had considered getting a Ryzen 5 3600 and b450 motherboard along with 16GB of 3200MHz DDR4, but even for the future proofing would it be worth it?  I really don't think that going newer/bigger than that would be worth the cost of upgrading right now.

I am not overly fond of first person shooters and mainly play stuff like Devil May Cry 5, GTAV, RDR2, a new Batman game if it comes out, Assassins Creed, etc., along with a bunch of child-friendly titles (for my 4 year old kid) that don't require great hardware.  I know that a 3600 is superior to my Ivy Bridge CPU in most every way, but with games being so GPU bound nowadays, I wonder if I am just going through FOMO about whether my current rig will hold up in value for long enough to actually make it worth selling to upgrade down the line, or if it is sooner rather than later that newer games are going to make my 3770k (which is still a monster for its age) obsolete.

Anyway, based on that, does anyone have a legitimate reason why I would want to upgrade? 1440p/1080p 60Hz/FPS single player AAA games with a 1080Ti.

...and actually, I have three of these systems that I built from mostly used parts over the years and use to play games at about the same settings, albeit the other two are sporting an RTX 2070 and 2060, so it has been nice to swap RAM, peripherals, and CPU coolers among them over the years.  If I chopped up and replaced one I would probably want to do the same with the other two.

As someone who used to run a 3770K at 4.5 GHz (until my mobo gave out), there's little reason to upgrade unless you really want high refresh rates. Currently on a 1700X, which is nice for rendering or multi-core stuff, but for gaming it didn't change much for me. I still run my GTX 780 though.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

1 minute ago, skaughtz said:

I should have mentioned that the systems are all Steam/Ubisoft/Epic console replacements and I play with a controller on my televisions.  Replacing all of those would be way more money than I would want to spend and there is no way I could get that past the wife.

That's even less of a reason to upgrade then lol. Even if you hit a CPU bottleneck I doubt it would drag you below 60fps for most titles. I'm running a Ryzen 3200G paired with a 2080 Super, so my system is about as unbalanced as yours. The 3200G is just an interim part until I can get a 5900X, but my gaming performance is honestly fine at 1440p and I doubt the 5900X will improve it much. I found that in games where I was hitting a CPU bottleneck, turning the graphics settings UP would actually smooth things out because it would transfer more load to the GPU, allowing the CPU to relax a bit. In my case this didn't even cost any FPS and in some cases even slightly IMPROVED my FPS because the amount of GPU power that was being lost to the bottleneck was about the same amount that was taken up by increasing the settings.

So yeah, if you needed someone to talk you out of it, there you go. From one guy with a weak CPU to another, it really doesn't matter much.

1 hour ago, Shoopman said:

That's even less of a reason to upgrade then lol. Even if you hit a CPU bottleneck I doubt it would drag you below 60fps for most titles. I'm running a Ryzen 3200G paired with a 2080 Super, so my system is about as unbalanced as yours. The 3200G is just an interim part until I can get a 5900X, but my gaming performance is honestly fine at 1440p and I doubt the 5900X will improve it much. I found that in games where I was hitting a CPU bottleneck, turning the graphics settings UP would actually smooth things out because it would transfer more load to the GPU, allowing the CPU to relax a bit. In my case this didn't even cost any FPS and in some cases even slightly IMPROVED my FPS because the amount of GPU power that was being lost to the bottleneck was about the same amount that was taken up by increasing the settings.

So yeah, if you needed someone to talk you out of it, there you go. From one guy with a weak CPU to another, it really doesn't matter much.

The one with a 2070 is on a 1080p projector at about 200 some inches.  The 2060 is just on a 1080p 60hz TV I play from my bed. The 1080Ti TV is 4k, but only 60hz and I sit too far away to make it worth that resolution (1440p might not be worth it either).

I also have a non-Z 1155 motherboard with a Xeon e3-1270V2 I got cheap that I use for work with a GTX 1070 and to play some RTS games occasionally and EverQuest on a pair of office 19 inch monitors.  I went hard into that platform over the years but it really has held its own for way longer than it should have.

not trying to push you into buying a new cpu, but the 1080 ti will not bottleneck anytime soon, and while the 3770k is a good chip, you might want to be thinking about upgrading to a 10th gen or 11th gen when those become readily available 

Don’t take everything I say seriously 

take it with a grain of s a l t

51 minutes ago, the communist potato said:

not trying to push you into buying a new cpu, but the 1080 ti will not bottleneck anytime soon, and while the 3770k is a good chip, you might want to be thinking about upgrading to a 10th gen or 11th gen when those become readily available 

At 1080p 60Hz neither will a 2070 or even a 2060 (for a bit).  That is why I am curious as to what the real benefit newer CPUs have over these older 4/8 processors when matched with solid GPUs.  I know the extra cores/threads help in big multiplayer online maps, but beyond that... what is it?  0.1% lows? The occasional stutter?  I bought into these older platforms because until recently they were cheap and still plenty useful from the used market.  I spent my money upgrading all of my GPUs (went from a 1070, 580, and 480 to a 1080Ti, 2070, 2060, respectively, and still have the 1070) since that seems to be the ultimate determining factor in maintaining solid framerates nowadays.

I'm sure that I am in the minority having multiple machines on an older [dead] platform, but I would love to see someone with the resources break down exactly what/where upgrading will yield appreciable results in AAA games (at my resolutions/refresh rates) when matched with powerful GPUs.  Other than something like RDR2 with my 2060, I am locked at 60FPS ultra on pretty much everything.