Upgrading my first computer

Hi, I was planning on upgrading my first computer. It a Fujitsu Lifebook AH531. Specs:

"Intel Pentium B940

Chipset integrated graphics

8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 SO-DIMM

1.32 BIOS from 10/01/2018"

First I'd want to get a better CPU, but I'm not what is compatible. It'd be a dream to get a Intel Core i7-2960XM working on it but I doubt that it's compatible and it would probably overheat. Does anyone know if something like i7-2670QM is compatible? I'd want the best CPU that just is compatible. I'm quite sure that the chipset would be compatible, but I have no idea for what CPUs the BIOS is limited to.

Thanks for everyone's time!

7 minutes ago, Mr. Veink said:

Hi, I was planning on upgrading my first computer. It a Fujitsu Lifebook AH531. Specs:

"Intel Pentium B940

Chipset integrated graphics

8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 SO-DIMM

1.32 BIOS from 10/01/2018"

First I'd want to get a better CPU, but I'm not what is compatible. It'd be a dream to get a Intel Core i7-2960XM working on it but I doubt that it's compatible and it would probably overheat. Does anyone know if something like i7-2670QM is compatible? I'd want the best CPU that just is compatible. I'm quite sure that the chipset would be compatible, but I have no idea for what CPUs the BIOS is limited to.

Thanks for everyone's time!

No idea on the compatibility side on those Sandy Bridge mobile processors. Look at the manufacturers website and see if your model shipped with any of those cpus and then select the best one. Also make sure to have the bios updated to the latest revision. I would guess a dual core Core i5 would already be a significant upgrade as would a dual core i7. No idea if that laptop provides enough power for the quad core variants. Again, check what cpus were available for that model of laptop. As far as memory goes, I'd recommend Kingston's memory selector tool. Theoretically you should be able to upgrade to 2x 8 GB SO-DIMMs. Upgrading to a SSD would also improve day to day performance quite a bit, especially in windows. Once you have the laptop open, make sure to clean it and remove the old thermal paste and reapply new one. I use Noctua NT-H1 on my laptops but really any brand name paste is better than the old dried up stuff.

1 minute ago, Applefreak said:

No idea on the compatibility side on those Sandy Bridge mobile processors. Look at the manufacturers website and see if your model shipped with any of those cpus and then select the best one. Also make sure to have the bios updated to the latest revision. I would guess a dual core Core i5 would already be a significant upgrade as would a dual core i7. No idea if that laptop provides enough power for the quad core variants. Again, check what cpus were available for that model of laptop. As far as memory goes, I'd recommend Kingston's memory selector tool. Theoretically you should be able to upgrade to 2x 8 GB SO-DIMMs. Upgrading to a SSD would also improve day to day performance quite a bit, especially in windows. Once you have the laptop open, make sure to clean it and remove the old thermal paste and reapply new one. I use Noctua NT-H1 on my laptops but really any brand name paste is better than the old dried up stuff.

I want to max out this baby, also I don't use Windows, so SSD isn't even necessary, but because I wanna fully max out this, I'll install an SSD馃槉 Also thermal paste was 2 years ago replaced with Cooler Master's thermal paste. Thanks!

22 minutes ago, Mr. Veink said:

I want to max out this baby, also I don't use Windows, so SSD isn't even necessary, but because I wanna fully max out this, I'll install an SSD馃槉 Also thermal paste was 2 years ago replaced with Cooler Master's thermal paste. Thanks!

did you check if yoiur processor is soldered? (G2) or is it upgradable with a PGA Socket first?

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

8 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

did you check if yoiur processor is soldered? (G2) or is it upgradable with a PGA Socket first?

I checked and it has a socket

I read that someone got an i7-2670QM to work, so shouldn't an i7-2630QM work too? Both are quad core but it would be .2GHz lower clock so it wouldn't throttle as easily.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Veink said:

I read that someone got an i7-2670QM to work, so shouldn't an i7-2630QM work too? Both are quad core but it would be .2GHz lower clock so it wouldn't throttle as easily.

I think a noticable upgrade you can make assuming your laptop can make the cpu boost is going to be an i7 2960xm:

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core i7 Mobile Extreme Edition i7-2960XM.html

it boosts up to 3.7ghz and it's 4 cores 8 threads, which is pretty good in modern standards.

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

1 minute ago, GorujoCY said:

I think a noticable upgrade you can make assuming your laptop can make the cpu boost is going to be an i7 2960xm:

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core i7 Mobile Extreme Edition i7-2960XM.html

it boosts up to 3.7ghz, which is pretty good in modern standards.

Thanks, but two problems. The TDP is way too high, also I'm not sure if the BIOS accepts it.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Veink said:

Thanks, but two problems. The TDP is way too high, also I'm not sure if the BIOS accepts it.

just update the bios to the latest version and you should be fine
also tdp doesnt seem to be a huge concern or something, it depends on how the cooling works inside but if you want to ensure that it stays as cool as possible, use a 1 gram thermal grizzly kryonaut on it when you are repasting (the 1 gram version is like 10 bucks only and it saves alot of overheating laptops, im going to buy it too if my laptop someday starts overheating)

My PC