Potential fire hazard?

NLamki

I just bought some PC cable extensions from aliexpress (something similar to this) and was wondering what are the risks of using low quality cables?

Is it possible to destroy my pc with it or should it work just fine?

1 minute ago, NLamki said:

I just bought some PC cable extensions from aliexpress (something similar to this) and was wondering what are the risks of using low quality cables?

I got a mobo cable power adapter

it was £8 and killed my mobo

I would proceed with caution 

1 minute ago, NLamki said:

low quality cables

They can be a fire hazard,I recommend to use the cables that came with your power supply.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

If the cables are poorly made or use low gauge wiring, it could cause a fire as it can't handle the current going through it. @jonnyGURUalways recommends 16 gauge wiring. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

36 minutes ago, NLamki said:

Maybe not a fire hazard right away, the chances of damaging your components is very high though. I'd use them in a decorative way or cut open to make bracelets out of them, if you like that sort of thing. Worst case you start a fire in your pc that will burn down your home (could happen with the pc turned off if wires are shorted as well).

There is plenty of useful stuff on aliexpress like mouse switches, electric components, lcd screens for diy etc. Just for fun I bough a pack of cheap sata cables a couple of years ago when they first started to ship overseas. Checked the cables before using them, they looked a bit off from the start, checked the pin-out and it would have caused at least my drives to die instantly. Again, this was just for fun in a controlled environment. I would never use one of those cables in a working machine unless I wanted to sabotage it. 

-> Moved to Power Supplies

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

IMO realistically the risks are - damaged/burnt connectors with associated damage to components, worst case - a fire.

Fun fact - if, for example, your videocard is using 300W it is 25A at 12V. Looking at typical power outlets in a house, at least where I live, they are rated for 6A or 10A.

So playing around with extensions and whatnot you should remember that this wires actually carry pretty high current. This means certain requirements to the the wires themselves and the connectors. I'd honestly avoid using any extensions, because not only it reduces reliability but also inevitably causes voltage drops.

If you are going to use them anyway at least make absolutely sure that wires or connectors are not getting hot under load.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2021 at 11:35 AM, Skiiwee29 said:

If the cables are poorly made or use low gauge wiring, it could cause a fire as it can't handle the current going through it. @jonnyGURUalways recommends 16 gauge wiring. 

I checked with the seller and he's using UL1007 18awg. 18 guage wiring, would this be okay for my pc parts:

1- Mobo cable

2- 2x8 gpu

3- 8pin cpu cable

Would these be fine to run?
Ryzen 5 5600x on auto-OC

B550 ATX asrock pro4

3070 that runs at about 200-230w

1 hour ago, NLamki said:

I checked with the seller and he's using UL1007 18awg. 18 guage wiring, would this be okay for my pc parts:

1- Mobo cable

2- 2x8 gpu

3- 8pin cpu cable

Would these be fine to run?
Ryzen 5 5600x on auto-OC

B550 ATX asrock pro4

3070 that runs at about 200-230w

update: read on my stock cables that came with my psu that it is "1007 18AWG VW-1 80 degrees 300v" the extension I'm using should be compatible with my wires as they're both 1007 18AWG, would this assumption be correct?

I'm more concerned with the potentially cheapo pins in the connectors that they're are using. Yes, there is inherently a voltage drop because of parasitic resistances but the wire itself isn't going to heat up that much--the pins can and sometimes will burn. 

So how do you know if the pins are good or not.....Time to gamble.

1 hour ago, ForwardVoltage said:

I'm more concerned with the potentially cheapo pins in the connectors that they're are using. Yes, there is inherently a voltage drop because of parasitic resistances but the wire itself isn't going to heat up that much--the pins can and sometimes will burn. 

So how do you know if the pins are good or not.....Time to gamble.

What if I connect it to an old 10 year old system, it would be a good way to test the extension for the cpu and mobo..?

5 hours ago, NLamki said:

What if I connect it to an old 10 year old system, it would be a good way to test the extension for the cpu and mobo..?

No.