Asus G531GU (Laptop) instability while running dual channel memory. Hey @ASUS, you here?

Sprcket
19 hours ago, Sprcket said:

Hmm, yes, I recall seeing something like that. Asus has made like 6 different stupid pieces of software for controlling fan speed and none of them worked when I tried them 😄

Nice! Hope to hear the same after a week 😄

Ahahahaha 😄 I use performance and turbo modes. They are working good i think. And also after 4 days no ram crash.

34 minutes ago, Sprcket said:

How's it going?

Everything is good. The laptop works well. After 1 week no crash. 😄

On 4/2/2021 at 3:11 PM, hmdszn said:

Everything is good. The laptop works well. After 1 week no crash. 😄

That's great to hear! Well, time to sell the Kingston RAM, I guess...

4 hours ago, Sprcket said:

That's great to hear! Well, time to sell the Kingston RAM, I guess...

Still no problem and no crash. I recommend to buy this corsair dual kit rams bro. If any problem happens i will tell you quickly.

On 4/5/2021 at 12:43 AM, hmdszn said:

Still no problem and no crash. I recommend to buy this corsair dual kit rams bro. If any problem happens i will tell you quickly.

That's great to hear. I need 32Gb of RAM, so I will have to find a 2*16Gb kit of SINGLE RANK memory. That's gonna be quite a hunt..

1 hour ago, Sprcket said:

That's great to hear. I need 32Gb of RAM, so I will have to find a 2*16Gb kit of SINGLE RANK memory. That's gonna be quite a hunt..

Why single rank bro? It should be dual kit. That's the key point. 2x16 dual kit should be work great. And also i haven't noticed any crash. I hope you gonna find best compatible ram kit for your laptop. Good hunting 😄 

13 hours ago, hmdszn said:

Why single rank bro? It should be dual kit.

RANK does not mean CHANNEL. A single RAM stick can be single, dual, or even quad RANK. CHANNELS refer to the physical connections between the memory controller and the ram sticks. This laptop doesn't support DUAL RANK memory, but does support dual CHANNEL. So you can have two single rank sticks in dual channel. I know, it's a bit confusing.

Okey bro thanks for information. As you said it's a little bit confusing but i understood. When you decided to buy new rams please text me. Good luck and also no crash until now.

On 4/7/2021 at 2:12 PM, hmdszn said:

Okey bro thanks for information. As you said it's a little bit confusing but i understood. When you decided to buy new rams please text me. Good luck and also no crash until now.

Every time I hear you saying "no crash" it gives me slightly more hope for being able to run a 30Gb Ansys simulation 😄

I will let you know when I get some new ram...might be a a couple of weeks though, waiting for paycheck.

18 hours ago, Sprcket said:

Every time I hear you saying "no crash" it gives me slightly more hope for being able to run a 30Gb Ansys simulation 😄

I will let you know when I get some new ram...might be a a couple of weeks though, waiting for paycheck.

Ahahahaha 😄 I am waiting bro. And also no crash until now. I think we solved this problem. Asus wants dual kit rams.

Got my paycheck!

Time to order a Corsair 32 Gb (2 x 16Gb) kit.

You're still good with your 16Gb?

2 hours ago, Sprcket said:

Got my paycheck!

Yes, i haven't noticed any problem yet. Everything works perfect. I am happy to hear this 😄 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 9:32 PM, Sprcket said:

Got my paycheck!

What did you do bro? Any problem?

3 hours ago, hazentr said:

What did you do bro? Any problem?

I got my 32Gb of Corsair Ram (Samsung Chips, just like yours) yesterday! They are Dual Rank, but I hope they're fine. 

I'll let you know if I have any issues, but so far 2 days without issues!

6 hours ago, Sprcket said:

I got my 32Gb of Corsair Ram (Samsung Chips, just like yours) yesterday! They are Dual Rank, but I hope they're fine. 

I'll let you know if I have any issues, but so far 2 days without issues!

I am so happy to hear it bro 😄 I hope we have found the solution.

6 hours ago, hazentr said:

I am so happy to hear it bro 😄 I hope we have found the solution.

Yeah. Now...what are we supposed to be doing with the Kingston RAM? 

They say that the models we used are compatible with our laptops, but obviously that's not true. I tried sending them back to the shop I got them from, but it's been 5 months since I purchased them. I'll send an e-mail to Kingston, maybe I can get my 100 bucks back.

Okey bro. I am very happy to hear this. When kingston answer your e-mail can you tell me please? What will they say i wonder. Maybe i will do same thing if it works.

On 4/25/2021 at 9:24 AM, Sprcket said:

Yeah. Now...what are we supposed to be doing with the Kingston RAM? 

They say that the models we used are compatible with our laptops, but obviously that's not true. I tried sending them back to the shop I got them from, but it's been 5 months since I purchased them. I'll send an e-mail to Kingston, maybe I can get my 100 bucks back.

Did kingston answer your message bro?

On 5/3/2021 at 5:57 PM, hazentr said:

Did kingston answer your message bro?

I didn't have the time to send a question yet, sorry. Been busy using the RAM 😄

image.thumb.png.cde42f5e07aea5fa54f569b9759f6064.png

9 hours ago, Sprcket said:

I didn't have the time to send a question yet, sorry. Been busy using the RAM 😄

I talked with them. They said the chipset of the ram maybe can occur the problem. They are not sure but we gonna try. My hyperx impact ram had a nanya chipset. And my corsair and yours have samsung chipset. They offered to find new hyperx impact rams which has samsung chipset. And i am waitİng for reply. They said we should look our stock. When they find what they gonna do i don't know but i will tell you. They have so good service really. And also thanks Kingston. I wanted to tell you this situation. Good luck on your job bro 😄 

On 5/7/2021 at 7:20 PM, hazentr said:

I talked with them. They said the chipset of the ram maybe can occur the problem. They are not sure but we gonna try. My hyperx impact ram had a nanya chipset. And my corsair and yours have samsung chipset. They offered to find new hyperx impact rams which has samsung chipset. And i am waitİng for reply. They said we should look our stock. When they find what they gonna do i don't know but i will tell you. They have so good service really. And also thanks Kingston. I wanted to tell you this situation. Good luck on your job bro 😄 

I understand. Thanks for the info mate, I'll look into it when I have some free time

• 1 month later...

You might wanna try using ONLY the newest Kingston 16gb stick you purchased?

PS: Although Hynix is a great dram brand, I feel like you got ripped because my stock module was a samsung 8gb...

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2021 at 3:11 PM, thekingofmonks said:

You might wanna try using ONLY the newest Kingston 16gb stick you purchased?

PS: Although Hynix is a great dram brand, I feel like you got ripped because my stock module was a samsung 8gb...

Sold both of them.  Tried every possible combination of Ram Stick and Slot, hence why it took me months to diagnose the issue. 

About the Hynix ram - Yeah, a lot of companies do this. My laptop, even though the same model as one sold in the USA, has worse ram and is missing some minor aesthetic features. Price of living in a not 1st world country, I guess.

And update on using the Corsair RAM: Still no issues after months of using it.

• 4 months later...

Hi, sorry for responding to an old thread, but this is quite important to me. I've had very similar issues since I installed 2 unmatched, though identical 16GB RAM cards from Kingston. I thought the culprit was the OS I'm using, but since OP uses Windows, it's probably not. And it gives me hope. For reference, here is a thread I started on linux mint forum: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=347531&hilit=crazy+crash. I just wanted to ask if everything still works after half a year. Especially those dual rank memories. I'm considering these modules https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Memory/Vengeance®-Series-32GB-(2x16GB)-DDR4-SODIMM-2666MHz-CL18-Memory-Kit/p/CMSX32GX4M2A2666C18#tab-tech-specs.

By the way, I also thought the computer only crashes when I use both RAM modules, but I recently found a way to make it crash with just one as well. 😄