Valheim dedicated server

StDragon

Anyone run a Valheim dedicated server? I'm looking to support up to 6 simultaneous players. I have an i7-3700 with 4GB of RAM to throw at it. Will that suffice?

It probably gonna be your bandwidth you gotta worry about, hardware should be no problem at all. It really doesn't take much to run dedicate servers in most cases, this game included. 

22 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Anyone run a Valheim dedicated server? I'm looking to support up to 6 simultaneous players. I have an i7-3700 with 4GB of RAM to throw at it. Will that suffice?

Did you look at the server requirements for the game? 

https://www.google.com/search?q=valheim+server+requirements&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS913US914&oq=valheim+server+requirements&aqs=chrome.0.0i324j0l3j0i22i30l4.4554j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

"Network: 100Mbps minimum (1Gbps recommended)"

Yeah, I'm thinking this is on the high-end of concurrent player activity. I don't see why this is required when playing online seems doable. I've got up to 12 mbp/s upload to provide, so I know there will be a limitation on concurrent activity. Granted, I think bandwidth will ultimately be more of an issue than CPU cycles and RAM.

What I ultimately want/need to know is how much bandwidth per player on average? Would be nice to have a formula to assess my own requirement and resources to provide.

• 3 weeks later...

The default limit in the server and client is set to 640 kb/sec so you don't need a large pipe.  If you do 0.64 * # of users, will give you your approximant upload speed in mbps.

I have modified the dedicated server to support up to 256KB/sec per user and with 7 users the highest usage we have seen is around 5 Mbps/sec upload.  With that said it only takes one person with a slow computer\internet connection to bring the game to a crawl.    The server is just a middle man that forwards traffic, so CPU\Ram is not really important on the server.  Most of the computing is done on the client computers (Whoever enters an area first controls that area (AI, door, chests etc).  

We have to make sure one of our players never goes to an area first (through a portal) as his system is really slow and can't handle running the AI\environment.

29 minutes ago, Allan B said:

The default limit in the server and client is set to 640 kb/sec so you don't need a large pipe.  If you do 0.64 * # of users, will give you your approximant upload speed in mbps.

Good info, thanks.

I was able to chat with a few mods on Discord and they echoed what you've said as well regarding how the the client/server functions.

I've always assumed it was hub and spoke configuration. It only is with regard to a central database of changes to the world map. But as you've correctly pointed out, the central hub of activity is wholly dependent on who holds the baton for originally being in a certain area. In a sense, that player becomes the "server" of activity and thus are the Alpha in maintaining real-time activity. But when it comes to syncing world data for permanent capture, that still goes over to the hosted server. Very interesting how the role of the server is abstracted between hosting the data and whom is actively the node for hosting activity; an abstraction by design.

IMHO, I'm not sure I'm ok with this. This paradigm in client/server does scale really well for 30+ players and beyond to a certain extent. But but the load segmentation is all predicated on everyone having a low-latency link with enough bandwidth. For 10 players and lower, I really think there should be a setting to force the server to also host all activity (AI, physics, motion, etc) as well.

Anyways, I was able to obtain a micro PC with an i3 running at 3.2Ghz. Apparently the server is more sensitive to CPU speed than raw core count; hence my decision to go with a box that I can host Linux on from a performance/price value.

• 3 weeks later...