GTX 670 wont boot with newer CPU/motherboard but works on an older board

Go to solution Solved by SandwichesANDMilk,
12 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Not sure if this would affect it or not, but it might.

I'm running 2 GTX 650 Ti BOOSTs, with an MBR Windows install (had 7 Home Premium originally), and CSM enabled.

Can you put the 1060 3GB in the top slot and the 670 in the second slot? I'd like to see what Device Manager reports.

A bios update did it! I am now in windows and the card is running! Thanks for your help

Recently I got a GTX 670 (gigabyte windforce x3 OC) off eBay as a spare card for testing shenanigans for only $40 and it works great with my older testing/spare system (I5-760, H55 motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 430w PSU, actually a solid rig for some gaming) but when I put it in my main computer (I5-9600K @5.1ghz, MSI z390 A-pro, 16gb DDR4 2133mhz, 600W PSU) the 670 boot loops. I hit the power button, the card's fans spin up and ramp up higher and higher but then the computer shuts off on the VGA testing LED with no video output then starts back up again, only way to stop it is to shut off the PSU.
my newer main PC works with all my other GPUs (GT 240, GTX 560, and GTX 1060 3gb). I know its not an issue with PSU size, what I have should be plenty.

Ive tried:
Disabling OC
Clearing CMOS

removing RAM

PCIE 2.0 mode

running with another GPU (booted but crashed on windows lock screen)
Different slots on motherboard

outputting from integrated when booting

I plan to try it in my brother's PC (ryzen 5 3600x & b550) but I have not done so yet

You have to enable CSM mode in bios. Older cards dont have required UEFI GOP drivers for non-csm boot process.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

You have to enable CSM mode in bios. Older cards dont have required UEFI GOP drivers for non-csm boot process.

how could I go about doing that?

Just now, SandwichesANDMilk said:

how could I go about doing that?

https://us.msi.com/support/technical_details/MB_BIOS_Manual

CTRL+F and search for CSM. Your BIOS layout should be identical.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 minutes ago, SandwichesANDMilk said:

Didn't work, any other ideas?

Do you have an MBR or GPT Windows install?

If you need to check, push Win+R, type diskmgmt.msc, select your C drive (not the partition, the drive - should say Disk 0 or 1 or something on the left side), click Properties, then Volumes. It will say MBR or GPT.

What does it say?

elephants

9 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Do you have an MBR or GPT Windows install?

If you need to check, push Win+R, type diskmgmt.msc, select your C drive (not the partition, the drive - should say Disk 0 or 1 or something on the left side), click Properties, then Volumes. It will say MBR or GPT.

What does it say?

It shouldn't matter because the card can't even get into bios. It's gpt though

1 minute ago, SandwichesANDMilk said:

It shouldn't matter because the card can't even get into bios. It's gpt though

I'm running 2 GTX 650 Ti BOOSTs, with an MBR Windows install (had 7 Home Premium originally), and CSM enabled.

Can you put the 1060 3GB in the top slot and the 670 in the second slot? I'd like to see what Device Manager reports.

elephants

Just now, FakeKGB said:

I would but I don't think my PSU has enough pcie but I do have a molex to 6 pin adapter I can use. I just updated bios so ima try that first, I will let you know how it goes

12 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

A bios update did it! I am now in windows and the card is running! Thanks for your help