Who is selling pure SLC NVMe SSD?

Chiyawa
44 minutes ago, kokosnh said:

So as far as I know (I mainly deal with NAND storage), there are SLC and TLC variants out there for optane (maybe there's more, and I'm just not aware of them), and I do not know if all SLC are pure, or pseudo ones. 

"3D XPoint uses different storage physics. Specifically, transistors are replaced by threshold switches as selectors in the memory cells. 3D XPoint developers indicate that it is based on changes in resistance of the bulk material"

soo as I understand it, in pure SLC they literally use just threshold switches, and in TLC , they measure resistance across it, to get analog data/response, that can be converted to multiple bits stored per cell.

SLC = single bit per cell. (single level cell)
MLC = 2 bits per channel
TLC = 3

PCM has multiple bits per cell from what I can tell which is achieved by having multiple levels for each cell. 

Optane has incredible endurance and performance irrespective though. In many ways it exceeds the endurance of SLC NAND, though there is some concern that if powered off for a long time that the cells in optane will lose their data. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

It would be nice if you could buy them.

Also  depending on the need, buy a cheap qlc drive and update the ifrmware to force slc only.  1/4 of the capacity of course.

Main Machine: CPU: 5800X3D  RAM: 32GB  GPU: RTX 3080  M/B: ASUS B550-E Storage: 2 x 256GB NVME boot, 1/2 TB NVME OS: Windows 10, Ubuntu 22.04

Server1:  M92p micro  CPU: i5-3470T  RAM: 8GB OS: Proxmox  Virtual Machines: Opnsense router, LXC containers: netboot server, download manager

Server2: CPU: 3600X  RAM: 64GB M/B MSI B450 Tomahawk  OS: Proxmox  Virtual machines: Windows 10, 3 x Ubuntu Linux, Truenas scale (16TB logical storage)

On 5/19/2021 at 7:39 AM, andrewmm said:

Im investigating SLC / T:C / MLC storage, 

In particular at temperature with no power on the M.2 

I'm getting shocking results, 

After a month at 55 degrees, with no power, all the MLC and the TLC flash chips have errors, 

The SLC are just fine. 

So there is a reason to go for SLC

My first 64 GB MLC SSD that I bought used 10 years ago is still going strong, but the first TLC one I bought new in like 2019 quickly failed within a year. It was probably a lemon, but I have since doubled down on MLC.

Did you scan for bad sectors or what? I've never seen a corrupted but working SSD of any bit depth.

3 hours ago, ianm_ozzy said:

It would be nice if you could buy them.

Also  depending on the need, buy a cheap qlc drive and update the ifrmware to force slc only.  1/4 of the capacity of course.

It would be so cool if QLC flash had the option of being able to be formatted to SLC/MLC/ or QLC. Kind of like how I vaguely remember 5.25" floppies being able to be formatted to various non-interoperable capacities.

Well unless it turned out to be a nightmare like putting a 110 MB file onto a zip250 and getting a certain click of death and turning that file forever unreadable...

Listens to WAN show while doing dishes. 😊 Living in 2024 with a tech attitude stuck in 2010.