Is a HDR400 monitor worth it?

MrDBD

Should I spend a bit more on HDR400 or just stay with SDR.

9 hours ago, MrDBD said:

Should I spend a bit more on HDR400 or just stay with SDR.

Generally all HDR is rubbish because implementation in Windows is total garbage. SDR content looks like a hairy ass when you're in HDR mode. Which means that's what you'll be in most of the time since there is so much SDR content and so little HDR content.

It does look better even at HDR400 when something supports it, but quite frankly I seem to have better results just using ReShade with FakeHDR shader which I apply to MPC HC player as well as most games. It turns output image from seemingly washed out image with pale colors into image with deep and punchy colors. Not in terms of just being bright but washed out bright green grass or trees becomes deep natural feeling green. Basically it entirely removes washed out grey-ish filter that's present in almost all games. There is slight issue with surfaces that are already very bright and tend to get even brighter, like looking at in-game sun or observing horizon around sun as well as direct light sources. But it's not too excessive in most cases so you still get beautiful colors in games and no weird colors on desktop.

At least that's my experience with HDR400 on my monitor. Bought it for other reasons, HDR400 just happened to be there so I tried it.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Generally all HDR is rubbish because implementation in Windows is total garbage. SDR content looks like a hairy ass when you're in HDR mode. Which means that's what you'll be in most of the time since there is so much SDR content and so little HDR content.

It does look better even at HDR400 when something supports it, but quite frankly I seem to have better results just using ReShade with FakeHDR shader which I apply to MPC HC player as well as most games. It turns output image from seemingly washed out image with pale colors into image with deep and punchy colors. Not in terms of just being bright but washed out bright green grass or trees becomes deep natural feeling green. Basically it entirely removes washed out grey-ish filter that's present in almost all games. There is slight issue with surfaces that are already very bright and tend to get even brighter, like looking at in-game sun or observing horizon around sun as well as direct light sources. But it's not too excessive in most cases so you still get beautiful colors in games and no weird colors on desktop.

At least that's my experience with HDR400 on my monitor. Bought it for other reasons, HDR400 just happened to be there so I tried it.

What about in games, videos and pictures that actually support HDR?