Is it possible that my RAM speed is bottlenecking my system?

seban

Hello, ive been lately having an issue where my GPU usage is at 30% and has been underperfoming alot (never saw it reach 100%) and CPU usage at about 60-70% .. its a 1660S and a 3 3100.

I watched others play with this combo and they had 40% on the CPU and about 98% on the GPU, which brings me to two potential ideas of what this could be..

1) My resolution, which is 768p and is too low for my GPU, hence the GPU doesn't need to work that much.

2) My RAM speed, i was having some issues with my XMP profile for quite a while and i think i overthought that it could be causing my 0xc0000005 error. Is it true that Ryzen CPU's need fast ram to balance out the usage?

3) Both, or something else that i cant figure out.

Edit: I've been having this issue in all of my games (RDR2, MSFS2020, Warzone, GTAV, Assetto Corsa, Metro Exodus)

example in msfs

Screenshot_5.png.7f56c9faf34e448166ad027e6415bbe6.png

Thank you for any help ahead of time.

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

1 minute ago, 1ppOverheat said:

1) My resolution, which is 768p and is too low for my GPU, hence the GPU doesn't need to work that much.

Most likely that is why. Next time share what game it is in question.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

Most likely that is why. Next time share what game it is in question.

oops forgot to mention those.. i edited it in

22 minutes ago, 1ppOverheat said:

Hello, ive been lately having an issue where my GPU usage is at 30% and has been underperfoming alot (never saw it reach 100%) and CPU usage at about 60-70% .. its a 1660S and a 3 3100.

I watched others play with this combo and they had 40% on the CPU and about 98% on the GPU, which brings me to two potential ideas of what this could be..

2) My RAM speed, i was having some issues with my XMP profile for quite a while and i think i overthought that it could be causing my 0xc0000005 error. Is it true that Ryzen CPU's need fast ram to balance out the usage?

3) Both, or something else that i cant figure out.

Edit: I've been having this issue in all of my games (RDR2, MSFS2020, Warzone, GTAV, Assetto Corsa, Metro Exodus)

example in msfs

Screenshot_5.png.7f56c9faf34e448166ad027e6415bbe6.png

Thank you for any help ahead of time.

So what is the clock speed on the RAM? 

About me:  23 Year old Software Developer from Wales, UK.  PC gamer and occasional Xbox Series X gamer (fanboy in recovery lol).  I stream occasionally as a hobby. 

The Rigs/Specs

KONAN (Main Rig): 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core I7-10700K

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Digital Midi Tower Glass Gaming Case - Gunmetal Grey

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming (Socket LGA 1200) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card

RAM: Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 48GB (2x8GB & 2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz

PSU: Corsair HXi Series HX850i

Storage: M.2, SATA SSD, Array of 6TB HDDs, etc etc. 

CASWYN (Old Main Rig - Retired):

Spoiler

CASWYN (Main Rig):  i7 6700k @4.4Ghz, AsRock Z170 Pro4 Motherboard, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black Series (2133MHz, DDR4) Array of several Hard Drives totaling to 9TB, Samsung 840 120Gb SSD (Boot drive)  Ask for other stuff where relevant

CLESEK (Laptop):

Spoiler

Dell Inspiron 7559 Gaming Laptop - i7-6700HQ, 12GB DDR4 RAM, GeForce GTX 960m, ADATA 128GB SSD, 1TB Standard HDD

2 minutes ago, Baeger said:

So what is the clock speed on the RAM? 

2133mhz right now

3 minutes ago, 1ppOverheat said:

2133mhz right now

I'm no expert but from experience with other builds, I've seen FS2020 suffering from some stuttering with 2133MHz (could have been other things in that particular PC I was using but my money's on the RAM).  Not sure about CPU/GPU utilisation though.  Is it considerably worse in some games compared to others or is the difference pretty small/very similar experience across the board? 

About me:  23 Year old Software Developer from Wales, UK.  PC gamer and occasional Xbox Series X gamer (fanboy in recovery lol).  I stream occasionally as a hobby. 

The Rigs/Specs

KONAN (Main Rig): 

Spoiler

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Digital Midi Tower Glass Gaming Case - Gunmetal Grey

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming (Socket LGA 1200) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

RAM: Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 48GB (2x8GB & 2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz

Spoiler

CASWYN (Main Rig):  i7 6700k @4.4Ghz, AsRock Z170 Pro4 Motherboard, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black Series (2133MHz, DDR4) Array of several Hard Drives totaling to 9TB, Samsung 840 120Gb SSD (Boot drive)  Ask for other stuff where relevant

CLESEK (Laptop):

Spoiler

Dell Inspiron 7559 Gaming Laptop - i7-6700HQ, 12GB DDR4 RAM, GeForce GTX 960m, ADATA 128GB SSD, 1TB Standard HDD

3 minutes ago, Baeger said:

I'm no expert but from experience with other builds, I've seen FS2020 suffering from some stuttering with 2133MHz (could have been other things in that particular PC I was using but my money's on the RAM).  Not sure about CPU/GPU utilisation though.  Is it considerably worse in some games compared to others or is the difference pretty small/very similar experience across the board? 

The MSFS one was by far the worst, RDR2 as at about 70% gpu usage and 80% cpu usage and warzone was like 75% gpu usage and 80% cpu usage. Its just very frustrating because i legit never seen my card get to 100%, and im guessing that could be my poor, low resolution. (i really have to upgrade and plan to, i never experienced FHD which is crazy to me)

8 minutes ago, 1ppOverheat said:

The MSFS one was by far the worst, RDR2 as at about 70% gpu usage and 80% cpu usage and warzone was like 75% gpu usage and 80% cpu usage. Its just very frustrating because i legit never seen my card get to 100%, and im guessing that could be my poor, low resolution. (i really have to upgrade and plan to, i never experienced FHD which is crazy to me)

It is pretty crazy actually, you seem to have a pretty overkill machine for the resolution, not gunna lie.  still, doesn't hurt to future proof for your future upgrades 😄

The Rigs/Specs

KONAN (Main Rig): 

Spoiler

Spoiler

CLESEK (Laptop):

Spoiler

Just now, Baeger said:

It is pretty crazy actually, you seem to have a pretty overkill machine for the resolution, not gunna lie.  still, doesn't hurt to future proof for your future upgrades 😄

Yup, im thinking the same lol. Im gonna look at some monitors now. Do you have any to recommend?

Just now, 1ppOverheat said:

Yup, im thinking the same lol. Im gonna look at some monitors now. Do you have any to recommend?

What's the budget? If you're looking for 1080p, I'd recommend anything BenQ make from experience (144Hz).  I've had one of their 120Hz 1080p monitors for about 8 years now and it's still going strong (although there's much higher refresh rates available since then and the image quality of that TN panel hasn't aged too well).  Although for my main display, I actually picked up this monitor that ended up being an LTT video a few years back: 

The Rigs/Specs

KONAN (Main Rig): 

Spoiler

Spoiler

CLESEK (Laptop):

Spoiler

1 minute ago, 1ppOverheat said:

Just to add to this, you have a GTX1660 Super? In the Nvidia control panel try changing the DSR to 2x, this should allow you to render the game at 1080p but display at 720p still, should increase GPU usage and offload some CPU usage, but bear in mind that MS flight sim is very CPU intensive anyway.

1 minute ago, Baeger said:

What's the budget? If you're looking for 1080p, I'd recommend anything BenQ make from experience (144Hz).  I've had one of their 120Hz 1080p monitors for about 8 years now and it's still going strong (although there's much higher refresh rates available since then and the image quality of that TN panel hasn't aged too well).  Although for my main display, I actually picked up this monitor that ended up being an LTT video a few years back: 

Thank you, ill check the video out. The budget is around 100USD.

1 minute ago, DigitalGoat said:

Just to add to this, you have a GTX1660 Super? In the Nvidia control panel try changing the DSR to 2x, this should allow you to render the game at 1080p but display at 720p still, should increase GPU usage and offload some CPU usage, but bear in mind that MS flight sim is very CPU intensive anyway.

Oh thats a great tip.. im trying it out right now. Thank you

9 minutes ago, DigitalGoat said:

should i leave the dsr smoothness at 33%?

Just now, 1ppOverheat said:

should i leave the dsr smoothness at 33%?

I would, just use defaults except for resolution, try 1080p, then maybe 1440p, see which works best, if any difference at all.

43 minutes ago, DigitalGoat said:

I would, just use defaults except for resolution, try 1080p, then maybe 1440p, see which works best, if any difference at all.

that was my first time i ever seen the gpu reach 98%.. thank you.

5 hours ago, 1ppOverheat said:

that was my first time i ever seen the gpu reach 98%.. thank you.

Just keep in mind that now the GPU will run slightly hotter since it has more work to do.

36 minutes ago, DigitalGoat said:

Just keep in mind that now the GPU will run slightly hotter since it has more work to do.

yup, i noticed.. i think im just gonna save up for a 1080p monitor, because the game looks really bad and stutters alot. But thank you for the help.