CPU reaches 99 degrees even after changing the thermal paste and cleaning the heat sink (Massive thermal throttling issues)

I have an ASUS Zephyrum M with a core i7-9750h (base clock: 2.6 GHz boost: 4.1 GHz) with a rtx 2060.

I was having a lot of thermal throttling issues which caused massive frame drops and stuttering in all games ultimately making the unplayable. Before servicing my laptop my cpu reached 97 degrees even on the base clock speeds. After changing the thermal paste and cleaning the heat sink and the fans I was able to get my base clock temps down to around 78-85 degrees which is still quite hot. However when I enable turbo the temps shoot up instantly, while gaming they reach temps of around 97-99 degrees. What could be causing this

Also when I try gaming on base clock speeds for stable performance I still get the same fps drops and stutter, I checked my gpu clock speeds and they are around 1600-1850 MHz. I don't know what's causing the stutter in games. I've had my laptop fully serviced by professionals and have even reinstalled a fresh windows 10 os. All of my drivers are also upto date.

Ps: I've already enabled max performance in the battery settings and nvidia control panel 

22 minutes ago, devesh2003 said:

I have an ASUS Zephyrum M with a core i7-9750h (base clock: 2.6 GHz boost: 4.1 GHz) with a rtx 2060.

I was having a lot of thermal throttling issues which caused massive frame drops and stuttering in all games ultimately making the unplayable. Before servicing my laptop my cpu reached 97 degrees even on the base clock speeds. After changing the thermal paste and cleaning the heat sink and the fans I was able to get my base clock temps down to around 78-85 degrees which is still quite hot. However when I enable turbo the temps shoot up instantly, while gaming they reach temps of around 97-99 degrees. What could be causing this

Also when I try gaming on base clock speeds for stable performance I still get the same fps drops and stutter, I checked my gpu clock speeds and they are around 1600-1850 MHz. I don't know what's causing the stutter in games. I've had my laptop fully serviced by professionals and have even reinstalled a fresh windows 10 os. All of my drivers are also upto date.

Ps: I've already enabled max performance in the battery settings and nvidia control panel 

is it still under warranty? if so Id ship it back to have it examined and they can tinker with it/send a replacement.

Well that CPU is famous for being hot, there's nothing you can do about it really.

9750 + 2060 is a very hot combo.

You can try to underclock it like 4 - 4.3 ghz so it doesn't reach thermal limit if you want stable gaming.

If it were a PC i'm probably gonna suggest a heatsink swap.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

29 minutes ago, devesh2003 said:

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Well that CPU is famous for being hot, there's nothing you can do about it really.

You can try to underclock it like 4 - 4.3 ghz so it doesn't reach thermal limit if you want stable gaming.

it wasnt a zeph like the OP but my buddy had a gaming laptop and it had similar issues they sent him a 3700x with 2070 super and 16gb 3200mhz with two nvme. He and I both were shocked and very happy with the whole ordeal. Its worth it to make contact with your manufacturer to see if you could RMA it and get a replacement desktop unless you have your heart set on a laptop.

6 minutes ago, Chris Greene said:

it wasnt a zeph like the OP but my buddy had a gaming laptop and it had similar issues they sent him a 3700x with 2070 super and 16gb 3200mhz with two nvme. He and I both were shocked and very happy with the whole ordeal. Its worth it to make contact with your manufacturer to see if you could RMA it and get a replacement desktop unless you have your heart set on a laptop.

They do that? wow, how generous. First time i ever heard of it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Yeah what happened was he never opened or altered it his throttling came in out of nowhere, it had him and I both stumped so we RMA'd it and they emailed us back saying its stumping them after around a week once it was with them, it wouldnt pass their QC (quality control) so they asked him since they didnt have many laptops close to the power of his so instead opted to build him a rig and ship him one they had on hand from their factory. We scrapped the case and put the guts in a LianLi II case

38 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

The bios doesn't allow to set custom clock speeds. It's either base clock or no base clock

7 hours ago, Nacht said:

Nephew had a laptop that idled at 99c would also shutdown at times, you would burn your fingers on the keyboard, altho he let it fall which made the air from fan not pass thru heatsink and instead leak out from side, laptops are designed differently in such way that it forces the air down in specific direction so it exits at the right places, perhaps something you changed while re applying thermal paste is effecting it, altho those temps look quite high even for a laptop

No I'm pretty sure everything was done right. My temps did get better than before but it's still not optimal for a laptop. Plus even on base clock speeds I only get around 30-40 fps in games like fortnite

First of all, laptops are designed to run a lot hotter in order to save weight and bulk. They also jump in heat a lot faster and further than any desktop would usually do. Laptops react a lot quicker to load changes. Google Chrome for example can easily make the temps go through the roof for a moment and then dial down again.

With laptops I'd make sure that there's nothing installed that might create higher loads in the background. Dropbox for example right after boot will put quite a load on the CPU during indexing. Sends the temps easily to the 90s range. Of course without those extra loads idle temps should ideally be more in the 50s. 

A 9750H is quite a beefy 6 core with 45W TDP. Most laptops with that CPU run very hot and will thermal throttle under extended loads.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!