I need something like linux to dualboot.

Windows7User8653

Hello, I had an account but I forgot the password.

I need arch based or other linux for my laptop

Here are the specs:

Intel i-5 520m

5GB Ram

Built-in GPU

240GB SSD

I also need something like ubuntu. I have a question about PlayOnLinux too, will I be able to launch an app that requires Internet Explorer 6.0 or newer?

1 minute ago, Windows7User8653 said:

I have a question about PlayOnLinux too, will I be able to launch an app that requires Internet Explorer 6.0 or newer?

In my limited experience, the answer is "it depends" Most work fine, some go stupid. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

In my limited experience, the answer is "it depends" Most work fine, some go stupid. 

Ok, thank you!

2 minutes ago, Windows7User8653 said:

I need arch based or other linux for my laptop

Here are the specs:

Intel i-5 520m

5GB Ram

Built-in GPU

240GB SSD

I also need something like ubuntu. I have a question about PlayOnLinux too, will I be able to launch an app that requires Internet Explorer 6.0 or newer?

If you need something like Ubuntu, you could be happy with Pop OS, it is based on Ubuntu, but there are some additional niceties in Pop. If you need something like Arch, Manjaro is very stable, and it should be good. It's a rolling release, so all the more better.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

3 minutes ago, Windows7User8653 said:

Boot the system into recovery mode from an installer, chroot the existing partition then do "passwd username" (obviously change username to your UN).

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Boot the system into recovery mode from an installer, chroot the existing partition then do "passwd username" (obviously change username to your UN).

On the forum.

Ok, thank you!

You will also find that Steam works much better than PoL, especially with the Proton lib-files built-in to Steam.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, AnirbanG007 said:

If you need something like Ubuntu, you could be happy with Pop OS, it is based on Ubuntu, but there are some additional niceties in Pop. If you need something like Arch, Manjaro is very stable, and it should be good. It's a rolling release, so all the more better.

Ok, but can I install it without a usb?

Just now, Windows7User8653 said:

On the forum.

Nah, the account name on the Linux install you can't remember the password for.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Ok, but can I install it without a usb?

Umm nope? I guess? You need the ISO on a USB to install pretty much any OS nowadays...

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Nah, the account name on the Linux install you can't remember the password for.

I mean on the forum. I forgot it on the forum.

1 minute ago, AnirbanG007 said:

Umm nope? I guess? You need the ISO on a USB to install pretty much any OS nowadays...

I have a partition. Will I be able to install it from that partition using EasyBCD?

Ohh, my apologies 😄

3 minutes ago, Windows7User8653 said:

Do you remember the email you used?
If so, there's a "forgot password" function.

elephants

I have a partition. Will I be able to install it from that partition using EasyBCD?

No idea bruh. 😞 You can always install it on a partition. Idk about from a partition. IMO, it's probably not possible?

I'm confused, why do you need something Arch based but want something like Ubuntu? What draws you to both of those distros? If it's Ubuntu's DE, just throw that on Arch. If it's Ubuntu's package managment (no idea why you'd want apt with PPAs over pacman with the AUR, but whatever) then use Ubuntu.

I would just use Arch, or if following a guide and copy-pasting commands to install it scares you, Manjaro.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈