Running games off of external HDD?

Toni186
Go to solution Solved by zerocool1431,

It depends on your definition of Manageable.
If you want to have a quick snack while waiting then it's definitely manageable.
If the external HDD is still in it's return period, return it a and get at least a SATA SSD as there is hardly a big price difference as it used to be couple of years ago.

Running games off a external is never a good idea as it can get disconnected any time.

I had a 240 SSD in my pc and so it filled up pretty fast. That's why I bought an external HDD. Having moved a few games to it and noticing that they do load slower overall. I obviously knew that was going to happen, but I want to know if something like Star Wars The Old Republic which is taking up a lot of the space would have manageable waiting times on the loading screens. Given that the HDD is specced at 5400rpm and connected via USB 3.0. Thank you in advance.

It depends on your definition of Manageable.
If you want to have a quick snack while waiting then it's definitely manageable.
If the external HDD is still in it's return period, return it a and get at least a SATA SSD as there is hardly a big price difference as it used to be couple of years ago.

Running games off a external is never a good idea as it can get disconnected any time.