Asus ROG G752VY Overheating

JohnSmith2

I have an Asus ROG G752VY laptop (2015) that is almost always running at 95 degrees celsius when the CPU is under load. In fact, I think that it's throttling somewhat because Windows never reports it as running at 100% load even when I run Cinebench. Occasionally it even restarts itself (I assume it's hitting TJ max, sometimes it jumps to 100 degrees), but this is uncommon for the most part (maybe happened 3 or 4 times total over the past year). I disassembled it and found that the copper heat pipe is basically attached directly to the CPU with some extremely thin crust (it's barely visible) that I assume was thermal paste? It looks like it has all worn away, or maybe very little was applied in the first place. Cleaning out the dust didn't help thermals much.

is it worth attempting to apply new thermal paste? Is there any way to install stronger fans? I'm not sure how I could better cool this thing without underclocking the CPU (not desirable). I use it as part of my renderfarm, so I have the CPU running all core full load basically 24/7.

What would you do?

1 hour ago, JohnSmith2 said:

I have an Asus ROG G752VY laptop (2015) that is almost always running at 95 degrees celsius when the CPU is under load. In fact, I think that it's throttling somewhat because Windows never reports it as running at 100% load even when I run Cinebench. Occasionally it even restarts itself (I assume it's hitting TJ max, sometimes it jumps to 100 degrees), but this is uncommon for the most part (maybe happened 3 or 4 times total over the past year). I disassembled it and found that the copper heat pipe is basically attached directly to the CPU with some extremely thin crust (it's barely visible) that I assume was thermal paste? It looks like it has all worn away, or maybe very little was applied in the first place. Cleaning out the dust didn't help thermals much.

is it worth attempting to apply new thermal paste? Is there any way to install stronger fans? I'm not sure how I could better cool this thing without underclocking the CPU (not desirable). I use it as part of my renderfarm, so I have the CPU running all core full load basically 24/7.

What would you do?

wait you did not apply new thermal paste? that should be done for sure.

probably no way to put a beefy fan in there.

13 hours ago, narrdarr said:

wait you did not apply new thermal paste? that should be done for sure.

probably no way to put a beefy fan in there.

No, I've never owned thermal paste, so I'd have to go out and buy some. Do you think it's worth it (will it actually keep it cooler)?

1 hour ago, JohnSmith2 said:

No, I've never owned thermal paste, so I'd have to go out and buy some. Do you think it's worth it (will it actually keep it cooler)?

absolutely