GTX 980 Founders Edition Thermal Paste Replacement

Jcr1991

Im looking for a guide on how to take apart my founders edition gtx980 to replace the thermal paste but i cant find anything online ,

there are allot of guides on the 980ti but it is slightly different with having no backplate like the 980 , this being my first attempt at changing the thermal paste and i need to get it right as all my local pc repair shops wont take on the job 

any helpful links or advice hugely appreciated  

gtx980.jpg

9 minutes ago, Jcr1991 said:

Im looking for a guide on how to take apart my founders edition gtx980 to replace the thermal paste but i cant find anything online ,

there are allot of guides on the 980ti but it is slightly different with having no backplate like the 980 , this being my first attempt at changing the thermal paste and i need to get it right as all my local pc repair shops wont take on the job 

any helpful links or advice hugely appreciated  

gtx980.jpg

I don't think there is going to be one specific to that card. The ti version should be very close. You can probably follow that one just being careful not to break any wires. Shouldn't be any different beyond that. 

More importantly, are you having problems? Why do you want to put new paste on it? If you aren't having problems and the card isn't overheating, I would not touch it. 

They will all be the same. If it’s the blower you can use the guide. 980ti, 780, even 1080 will be the same once the back plate is off. 
Plenty of videos, as any build video that shows the tear down to put a water block on will be more than enough information. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

im seeing idle temps rise into the low 40's and gaming temps into the late 80's , i bought the card about 3 years ago second hand and im almost certain its never been opened and cleaned properly or had a paste change from new , she's almost 7 years old now and im starting to think its time to give it a good refresh 

It could have used fresh tim prolly 2 years in with heavy gamer use. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

wanted to do it last year but was too scared to take it apart after all my local pc shops said they didn't want to do it , thought there must be a reason to do with the 980 but they probably just dont think its worth the time or something , will have a good study on some 980ti/ blower style cards to make sure i know what to do as i only have a gt710 as a backup card if things go tits up 😅