Stuttering computer

tornados2111

Hey guys. A few months ago I made a thread about getting these strange stutters and occasional bluescreens. I was told that this was a problem with my old power supply, so I bought a new one. CX500. However, this didn't resolve the problem. The stutters are just some skipped frames with almost lagged sound for a brief second. I had realised that most of the time the computer would recover in about 1 second, however, if it didn't, it would go to a blue screen and just restart. These lags are completely random. Sometimes I may not get them for 2 weeks and other times it will happen constantly in one day making listening to music or playing a game unplayable. Since buying my new psu 2 month ago I only got 1 blue screen, leading me to believe it has helped but today in particular I am getting terrible stutters.

Another strange thing to note is that the seconds after and during the stutter, my ping in online games goes very very high. I have been trying to figure out, perhaps this stutter is due to my ping or bad internet WLAN card. Or perhaps this ping is caused by the stutter itself. i cannot figure out anything so any help is appreciated

I have 8gb red line memory

i5 3570K

cx500M

p8z77 asus mobo

I should also state that, especially before I bought the new psu, when i got more crashes, the crashes were a lot lot more likely in graphically intensive games unlike something like teamfortress 2. However, a couple of times it crashed on playing a youtube video. I can't tell if the new power supply really did help. I could have just been lucky the last couple of months

What's the code you're getting on the bluescreens? That's generally the easiest way to tell what's happening.

What's the code you're getting on the bluescreens? That's generally the easiest way to tell what's happening.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention this. There was some program I used a few months ago that allowed me to view a set of these bluescreen codes, can you remind me what it was?

Ah yes, I forgot to mention this. There was some program I used a few months ago that allowed me to view a set of these bluescreen codes, can you remind me what it was?

You can just post a link to the dump file, so people can easily take a butchers

CPU: i5 2500k (3.3 GH z) GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Seagate Barracuda Motherboard: MSI Z68A RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance (1600MHz) PSU: Seasonic M1211 750W Case: Corsair Carbide 300R Cooler: Intel Stock (For the mo)

You can just post a link to the dump file, so people can easily take a butchers

I'm sorry if this should be obvious but I actually have no idea where to get the dump file

Apologies for taking so long to reply

They seem to be caused by atikmpag.sys

It seems to be a driver issue, windows tried to rest the driver but a timeout happened;

So we need to look at your ATI drivers for your video card

CPU: i5 2500k (3.3 GH z) GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Seagate Barracuda Motherboard: MSI Z68A RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance (1600MHz) PSU: Seasonic M1211 750W Case: Corsair Carbide 300R Cooler: Intel Stock (For the mo)

No problem dude, thanks for the reply! Should I just go and download latest version? I'm not sure which ones I have installed, I don't remember. But I assume it's always just best to download the new ones?

No problem dude, thanks for the reply! Should I just go and download latest version? I'm not sure which ones I have installed, I don't remember. But I assume it's always just best to download the new ones?

You should quote me or type @Chaosbadger that way I will know you responded

Yes in most cases pick the newest. Best to do a clean driver install though.

Never mind, i found where the dump files are

ok, thanks for the tip and thanks for the help! I'm trying that now

Hi. Unfortunately this did not resolve the problem. I did a clean uninstall and then installed latest stable drivers for my 7870 but the problem with stuttering and possibly rarely a bluescreen crash has not been fixed. I can send more bluescreen bin files if you want me to

Hi. Unfortunately this did not resolve the problem. I did a clean uninstall and then installed latest stable drivers for my 7870 but the problem with stuttering and possibly rarely a bluescreen crash has not been fixed. I can send more bluescreen bin files if you want me to

Yeah, link the latest ones you've had.

Also @tornados2111 download and run memtest86, you will need a USB drive or a CD

Yeah, link the latest ones you've had.

Also @tornados2111 download and run memtest86, you will need a USB drive or a CD

Yeah, the newest crashes are there. Thanks for the quick reply!

I tried memtest86 twice, ran for 3.5 hours and both tests went fine with no errors. What should I do next?

@tornados2111 where are the latest files?

When you did the clean install for the drivers, how did you do it?

How are you connecting your GPU to your monitor? What is the resolution and refrsh rate?

Does it only happen when you are connected to the internet?

If you have a spare GPU could you try using that? If not could you try the integrated GPU and do all you can that would usually cause the stuttering?

My other thought, is that it could be your hard drive causing the issue.

How are you connecting your GPU to your monitor? What is the resolution and refrsh rate?

If you have a spare GPU could you try using that? If not could you try the integrated GPU and do all you can that would usually cause the stuttering?

Thanks for the reply again.

First off, I used the official uninstall software that is beside the driver download on amd's website. I rebooted and followed all the steps.

I use a 120hz monitor with a dvi cable. Since the problem started, I have actually switched monitor so this shouldn't be the issue. Especially that the sounds stops for a split second during the lag too.

I don't know if it is only online. Next time I have some more time to test things around I will try going offline and see if I can replicate it(not sure how easy it will be since it seems randomly to happen as in some days it just doesn't happen but I'll try my best). I can also try another gpu.

Is there anyway to test the hdd? Or would I just have to try a different one to test it?

Thanks for the reply again.

First off, I used the official uninstall software that is beside the driver download on amd's website. I rebooted and followed all the steps.

I use a 120hz monitor with a dvi cable. Since the problem started, I have actually switched monitor so this shouldn't be the issue. Especially that the sounds stops for a split second during the lag too.

I don't know if it is only online. Next time I have some more time to test things around I will try going offline and see if I can replicate it(not sure how easy it will be since it seems randomly to happen as in some days it just doesn't happen but I'll try my best). I can also try another gpu.

Is there anyway to test the hdd? Or would I just have to try a different one to test it?

Okay, while I check a few things.

First check that the refresh rate of the GPU is the same as the monitor.

Then if so, yes try another GPU.

Yes, you would need another HDD to it.

EDIT:

Also check if there are any AMD/ATI logs, I think there was a problem at one point with the drivers writing log files which upon reaching a certain size, it would cause stuttering upon writing.

ALSO:

Try a different port and/or cable

Okay, while I check a few things.

First check that the refresh rate of the GPU is the same as the monitor.

Then if so, yes try another GPU.

Yes, you would need another HDD to it.

EDIT:

Also check if there are any AMD/ATI logs, I think there was a problem at one point with the drivers writing log files which upon reaching a certain size, it would cause stuttering upon writing.

ALSO:

Try a different port and/or cable

Yes, the refresh rate is 120, as the monitor.

How can I check the logs? Can't seem to find it online because everyone just says that finding logs won't help in all forums...

I have changed cable since the problem first occured so it shouldn't be the problem and I'm not sure I have a 120hz compatible cable but I'll look into that too.

Anyways thanks for all the help. I have a good few things to test out now whenever I get the chance

I know you may not want to, but try a fresh install.  Its the only way to start fresh and easiest way to fix most software issues.  After reinstalling windows download the latest and correct drivers for all your hardware.  From the motherboard website, network card website, ATI/AMD website etc.  If you have any questions about what driver to get feel free to ask.  Hope this helps.  

I know you may not want to, but try a fresh install.  Its the only way to start fresh and easiest way to fix most software issues.  After reinstalling windows download the latest and correct drivers for all your hardware.  From the motherboard website, network card website, ATI/AMD website etc.  If you have any questions about what driver to get feel free to ask.  Hope this helps.  

I might do this after I do all the other things. I'm hoping it doesn't get to that

Today I tried using a different gpu, didn't help. Tried another harddrive with another windows, didn't help either. So I guess a new install of windows wouldn't help either. What can I do next to diagnose the issue?

Also, before I said that during freezes/stutters I would lose frames. Now I realise that's not true. I just lose sound for a brief second and get high ping for a few seconds. Other times I just get high ping, but often I get sound lag too.

Another thing to note is that whenever I join a server, I'll get high ping for the first 5 seconds. Not 100% of the time but very very often. Is this information helpful at all?

Hmm.

What GPU did you try?

What version of windows?

Does it also occur offline?

Hmm.

What GPU did you try?

What version of windows?

Does it also occur offline?

I tried a 9800gt instead of my 7870. I did download the newest stable drivers

I use windows 7, and when using my other hdd, it was a different installation of windows 7 too. The problem still occurred.

It seems like it still occurs offline but I will do some further thorough testing to make sure. However, in some cases I have lagged/freezed while listening to mp3 music. This doesn't mean I wasn't connected to the internet but the mp3 files were stored on the pc. This leads me to believe it's likely not the issue

If you over locked at all it might be unstable? Or ya I would do fresh instal I have had that happen to me before and it usually fixes it.