GPU usage isn't being fully utilized

zilke

Hi !

I bought a 1080 ti msi gaming x

problem: gpus usage is only around 60% in games and it not using its full potential so I can have bigger fps in games (apex legends, Valorant), but only while in a match, while in a lobby or firing range its using its full potential

-in game settings are good

-v sync is off, there is nothing capping the framerate

-drivers were uninstalled with DDU multiple times without success 

-GPU is running good on benchmarks and on full load

How do I resolve this issue ?

EDIT: Playing without any drivers installed gave me a 35%-50% fps increase, so I am really confused here

16 minutes ago, zilke said:

Hi !

I bought a 1080 ti msi gaming x

problem: gpus usage is only around 60% in games and it not using its full potential so I can have bigger fps in games (apex legends, Valorant), but only while in a match, while in a lobby or firing range its using its full potential

-in game settings are good

-v sync is off, there is nothing capping the framerate

-drivers were uninstalled with DDU multiple times without success 

-GPU is running good on benchmarks and on full load

How do I resolve this issue ?

Do you have the GPU settings set to "High Performance Nvidia Device?" if so maybe test a different api such as VULCAN because VULCAN does a lot more GPU rendering. If you get the same results with a VULCAN game then I can try to help some more. Note that some games dont utilize a beasty GPU like the 1080 TI to its full capabilities. Like what Alex said, it could be a CPU bottleneck.

29 minutes ago, Alex Kovacs said:

What CPU do you have?

Is the CPU usage 100% when the GPU is only 60%, by chance?

Its not bottlenecking

CPU is always around 50 %, and the GPU is around 60 %

The cpu is r5 2600

Just now, zilke said:

Its not bottlenecking

The cpu is r5 2600

Try turning on high performance mode. Not sure if this will help but it very well could. To find that go to your Windows 10 Settings and click on gaming. Go to game mode and turn that on (Unless it has causes issues in the past) and click on Graphics settings. You should see your games there but if you dont, click on Browse and select your games install folder. Your game should then show up. Next click on the game and click options, then High performance. This has fixed this problem for me in the past and hope it helps you. When it says let windows decide it tries to make it power saving sometimes and its SOOOO annoying. Let me know what happens.

13 minutes ago, FlimbamafooFTMG said:

Try turning on high performance mode. Not sure if this will help but it very well could. To find that go to your Windows 10 Settings and click on gaming. Go to game mode and turn that on (Unless it has causes issues in the past) and click on Graphics settings. You should see your games there but if you dont, click on Browse and select your games install folder. Your game should then show up. Next click on the game and click options, then High performance. This has fixed this problem for me in the past and hope it helps you. When it says let windows decide it tries to make it power saving sometimes and its SOOOO annoying. Let me know what happens.

Didn't work 😞

Just now, zilke said:

Didn't work 😞

I'm sorry 😞. I will keep looking into that for you! tell me if you get it working! Best of luck!

15 minutes ago, FlimbamafooFTMG said:

I'm sorry 😞. I will keep looking into that for you! tell me if you get it working! Best of luck!

Thank you so much for sharing your time and trying to help, means a lot !

Hi !

I bought a 1080 ti, cleanly removed the previous drivers and installed new ones. But after playing games, my 1080 ti is only using around 60 % of its self.

After playing around I saw that with no drivers installed I get the desired FPS and GPU Usage which is almost perfect, it just isn't that stable and FPS drops sometimes.

But as soon as I install the newest drivers my GPU start to only use around 60 % and gives me almost 50 % less fps that it should.

-CPU isnt bottlenecking

-drivers are clean

-I tried many previous versions of drivers

How can I fix this and is it safe to use a GPU without drivers, because that is the only solution now for me ?

9 hours ago, Heliian said:

Sounds like multiple driver instances.  Did you use ddu? 

yes I did, but I always did it with internet, will try to do it now without internet trough the whole process

5 hours ago, zilke said:

yes I did, but I always did it with internet, will try to do it now without internet trough the whole process

So I did more research like I said I would, and everything keeps coming back to the CPU. Your CPU is more than good enough to run that GPU but what cooler does it have? A lot of the time In PC prebuilds you will see bad coolers in the system, and you might want to redo the thermal paste. One thing to do before that is use a software called quick CPU. This software will help remove as much bottlenecking as possible, and ill tell you how to use it. Before we start you will need to download the software right here. https://coderbag.com/product/quickcpu?fw=upd Open up the zip file and run the installer. Follow the prompts and when you open up quick CPU, you will be met with a confusing interface. So to make it easier copy the settings in the photo I sent with this message. Basically just put all of those sliders up. What this will do is make sure your CPU is boosting properly, and make sure there isn't any CPU issues. Don't mess with that software to much to avoid any future problems, and if you don't have it already, download MSI Afterburner, and Riva Statistics server. Set up an in game overlay with all of the needed info like FPS, CPU Utilization, GPU Utilization, CPU and GPU Temperatures. If your CPU is running at a high temp like 80 Degrees C or around 176 Degrees F then you need to replace your CPU cooler. Let me know what happens and have a good day!Capture.PNG.d9bd3701d8fa06b0858223465dac9bb9.PNG

On 2/20/2021 at 5:19 AM, zilke said:

Its not bottlenecking

The cpu is r5 2600

Is one core maxed out? Not all programs can use all of your cores.

For simplicity sake, lets say you have a 2 core CPU...

When task manager says 50%, that is across the whole cpu, so if one core is 100% and the other is 0%, task manager will show 50%.

On 2/20/2021 at 5:51 PM, FlimbamafooFTMG said:

So I did more research like I said I would, and everything keeps coming back to the CPU. Your CPU is more than good enough to run that GPU but what cooler does it have? A lot of the time In PC prebuilds you will see bad coolers in the system, and you might want to redo the thermal paste. One thing to do before that is use a software called quick CPU. This software will help remove as much bottlenecking as possible, and ill tell you how to use it. Before we start you will need to download the software right here. https://coderbag.com/product/quickcpu?fw=upd Open up the zip file and run the installer. Follow the prompts and when you open up quick CPU, you will be met with a confusing interface. So to make it easier copy the settings in the photo I sent with this message. Basically just put all of those sliders up. What this will do is make sure your CPU is boosting properly, and make sure there isn't any CPU issues. Don't mess with that software to much to avoid any future problems, and if you don't have it already, download MSI Afterburner, and Riva Statistics server. Set up an in game overlay with all of the needed info like FPS, CPU Utilization, GPU Utilization, CPU and GPU Temperatures. If your CPU is running at a high temp like 80 Degrees C or around 176 Degrees F then you need to replace your CPU cooler. Let me know what happens and have a good day!Capture.PNG.d9bd3701d8fa06b0858223465dac9bb9.PNG

Will try it out, this is so much research and it means the world to me, thank you so much ❤

On 2/21/2021 at 3:59 AM, Blue4130 said:

Is one core maxed out? Not all programs can use all of your cores.

For simplicity sake, lets say you have a 2 core CPU...

When task manager says 50%, that is across the whole cpu, so if one core is 100% and the other is 0%, task manager will show 50%.

I do not know that but I will check !