Disk usage 100% when playing games

PaNDark

Hey
First of all, I'm playing on my Lenovo Ideapad 320-151kb laptop with these specs:
i5 8250U
Ram: 8Gb
Hard disk: ST1000LM035-1RK172
GPU: GeForce MX150

The problem is whenever I play games my hard disk usage goes 100% and the game begin to stutter so much I can't even play the game

I know it's not a high-end laptop but i don't play heavy games. For example, I play battlefield4, valorant, csgo, league of legends

I don't have an fps problem in any of these games and I have more than 100 in most of these, but the stuttering makes them unplayable

any toughts?

If I had to place an educated guess, I'd just say that the drive can't cope with Windows and the games streaming in assets. I've got the 2TB version of that drive and it's really only barely adequate as a dedicated game drive.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just now, Apemanonline said:

Tried defraging it? Windows options type defrag in the search, Then its select the correct drive etc.

Yeah actually i tried that

i even disabled harddisk related services like Superfetch

Also consider setting a minimum and maximum swapfile sizes, depending on current disk space and Windows swapfile size. Part of the problem might be swapfile resizing, which is creating a lot of disk/CPU activity.

512MB minimum and 8192MB(8GB)  maximum is a good place to start. If performance gets worse, increase the min to 2048MB or 4096MB (2GB and 4GB). If that's no good, you can always revert to Windows managed swapfile. None of this will deal with disk speed issues, but it might reduce the overhead of disk activity.

~ Gaming since 1980 ~

PassMark | UserBench

You may have to upgrade to ssd large spinners spec laptop drive that run slower than the larger 3.5 will take longer to spin up and seek to the file. I had a quick look and it there seems to be a M2 slot on your laptop this is only from a picture i found of the mobo and it wasnt clear if it was just for a wifi card. if you can a 250 gb just for the os and frequent games wouldnt break the bank. If not then its a direct replacement for a 2.5 ssd.but there not cheap 80 quid ish for a 1tb

4 minutes ago, camieabz said:

Also consider setting a minimum and maximum swapfile sizes, depending on current disk space and Windows swapfile size. Part of the problem might be swapfile resizing, which is creating a lot of disk/CPU activity.

512MB minimum and 8192MB(8GB)  maximum is a good place to start. If performance gets worse, increase the min to 2048MB or 4096MB (2GB and 4GB). If that's no good, you can always revert to Windows managed swapfile. None of this will deal with disk speed issues, but it might reduce the overhead of disk activity.

i'll try it thank you

3 minutes ago, Apemanonline said:

You may have to upgrade to ssd large spinners spec laptop drive that run slower than the larger 3.5 will take longer to spin up and seek to the file. I had a quick look and it there seems to be a M2 slot on your laptop this is only from a picture i found of the mobo and it wasnt clear if it was just for a wifi card. if you can a 250 gb just for the os and frequent games wouldnt break the bank. If not then its a direct replacement for a 2.5 ssd.but there not cheap 80 quid ish for a 1tb

SSD is the solution in most of the cases i know. But the thing is i just think my system spec is'nt that low that can't handle bf4 or similar medium games

it should definitely not do that, sounds like there's an issue with the disc drive itself somehow, or the connection to it. 

I have a very similar laptop, standard WD blue drive (which I recently exchanged to a Toshiba drive that I didn't even test yet) and no such problems, low resolution, but barely any stutters... 

So yeah a ssd might fix it, but the issue may be something else or another hard drive would fix it - I definitely didn't change the swap file - it's not something that should be done on modern windows, people only do this when they're desperate and know no other 'fix'. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

it should definitely not do that, sounds like there's an issue with the disc drive itself somehow, or the connection to it. 

I have a very similar laptop, standard WD blue drive (which I recently exchanged to a Toshiba drive that I didn't even test yet) and no such problems, low resolution, but barely any stutters... 

So yeah a ssd might fix it, but the issue may be something else or another hard drive would fix it - I definitely didn't change the swap file - it's not something that should be done on modern windows, people only do this when they're desperate and know no other 'fix'. 

Its really weird i monitored my disk usage while gaming and kinda nothing using it.

there is a process called System and it writes ALL THE TIME. Even when im just watching a movie or searching some stuff hdd goes 100%.

I Disabled windows update and stuff so i have no idea what is the problem