Ram sometimes disappears

justinebarrios99

So I just recently built a gaming pc, and sometimes, my ram suddenly goes from 16GB to 8GB. Every time it happens, I reseat it and it goes back to normal. I wonder what causes it to disappear. Help thanks.

1. Test a single stick in all the slots and boot to see if there is a slot failure.

2. if you're using 1 and 3, try the 2 and 4 slots.

3. the problem still persists check if the system gives you 3 beeps or  just doesn't post. (if it doesn't post, the cmos battery is showing signs of failure.)

4. If available, try those rams on a friends pc and let him use it for a few days while you use his rams.

If the problem still persists, RMA the ram.

Same thing happened with my friend's corsair vengeance 3000mhz 8gbx2 kit and he ended up getting new ram in warranty

4 minutes ago, Aree Soothsayer said:

Try updating the most recent Motherboard Bios.

I’ve sent my board to the seller once before I built my pc(back in January), cause I thought that It was broken so they updated it, and I’m assuming that the board now has the latest update. 

4 minutes ago, justinebarrios99 said:

I’ve sent my board to the seller once before I built my pc(back in January), cause I thought that It was broken so they updated it, and I’m assuming that the board now has the latest update. 

Depends which platform it uses. Most AMD boards have received a ton of BIOS updates recently becausee of the launch of the new Ryzen 5000 series. 

What are your complete PC specs?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

12 minutes ago, Analog said:

Depends which platform it uses. Most AMD boards have received a ton of BIOS updates recently becausee of the launch of the new Ryzen 5000 series. 

What are your complete PC specs?

Ryzen 5 2600 stock

B450 aorus elite

8x2 3200 mhz hyper x fury

Gigabyte rx 5600xt

860 evo 250gb sata m.2

(Old) 1tb sshd

silverstone viva 650 watts 80+ bronze

Edited by justinebarrios99

20 minutes ago, zerocool1431 said:

1. Test a single stick in all the slots and boot to see if there is a slot failure.

2. if you're using 1 and 3, try the 2 and 4 slots.

3. the problem still persists check if the system gives you 3 beeps or  just doesn't post. (if it doesn't post, the cmos battery is showing signs of failure.)

4. If available, try those rams on a friends pc and let him use it for a few days while you use his rams.

If the problem still persists, RMA the ram.

Same thing happened with my friend's corsair vengeance 3000mhz 8gbx2 kit and he ended up getting new ram in warranty

1. Tried all slots, it all booted normally. 
2. I’ve been using 2 and 4. 

3. My pc doesn’t beep on startup, it actually beeps while I’m browsing randomly or gaming. 1 beep followed by 2 consecutive beeps. Sometimes, it only beeps once. Then after a few days, I’ll only see 8GB of ram on my pc.

1 minute ago, justinebarrios99 said:

1. Tried all slots, it all booted normally. 
2. I’ve been using 2 and 4. 

3. My pc doesn’t beep on startup, it actually beeps while I’m browsing randomly or gaming. 1 beep followed by 2 consecutive beeps. Sometimes, it only beeps once. Then after a few days, I’ll only see 8GB of ram on my pc.

Made me laugh when you said it beeps while you are browsing or gaming 🤣 That is very weird. The only time when my mobo speaker was detected as an output speaker was back in the 2009s when I heard the old mario game using it for audio output. Never knew how that happened though.

However coming back to the topic, seeing only one stick of ram is also what happened with my friend.

He went in a hurry and ended up buying a new mobo thinking it was a slot fault but then realized it was a ram issue when i used it for some time.
Most likely it is one of the ram giving you an issue.

Try the first stick in all slots, boot and check.

remove the first stick and try with the second stick in all slots.

This is how we were able to evaluate that one of his ram is faulty.

If it still bugs you and you have it in warranty, RMA it. They usually just replace the kit when you mention that the problem occurs in between. (Act dumb and say it just doesn't work sometimes)

18 minutes ago, zerocool1431 said:

Made me laugh when you said it beeps while you are browsing or gaming 🤣 That is very weird. The only time when my mobo speaker was detected as an output speaker was back in the 2009s when I heard the old mario game using it for audio output. Never knew how that happened though.

However coming back to the topic, seeing only one stick of ram is also what happened with my friend.

He went in a hurry and ended up buying a new mobo thinking it was a slot fault but then realized it was a ram issue when i used it for some time.
Most likely it is one of the ram giving you an issue.

Try the first stick in all slots, boot and check.

remove the first stick and try with the second stick in all slots.

This is how we were able to evaluate that one of his ram is faulty.

If it still bugs you and you have it in warranty, RMA it. They usually just replace the kit when you mention that the problem occurs in between. (Act dumb and say it just doesn't work sometimes)

I wish I was joking about the beeps while browsing or gaming but no 😆. I've actually tried 2 sticks on all slots and it all booted normally but might try again. Thanks for answering!