Upgrading CPU, can i keep windows?

Rayzioz
Go to solution Solved by Boyohan,

Some people say yes and some say no....

I have changed/upgraded hardware and kept my old Windows install several times.

It usually works fine but once or twice I have needed to do a full reinstall of Windows. 

Just do it

Doitpalpatine.jpg

Backup your important files before upgrading so you are safe. 

I'm finally upgrading my computer from it's current 4690k to the new 5600x tonight/this weekend and i'm wondering how this will work with windows.

ideally i don't want to try re-installing all of my applications as i fear some of them will lose the set up i've spent way too long optimizing.

i was going to follow this random guy's steps in trying to retain windows without doing a fresh install, but is there any known issues especially going from intel to AMD?

or should i just give up and do a fresh install, in which case i might as well buy the 980 pro nvme ssd and install the OS on there.

Upgrading your CPU is not the same as upgrading your entire platform, especially when moving from Intel to AMD. You can probably get away with it, but I would highly recommend doing a clean installation of Windows. Yes, it may take a while to get everything configured again, but it's worth it to avoid the random issues you can encounter with an old copy of Windows that you've moved from another platform. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

You should be fine, Linus have a video about this.

you will get an an idea about it after you watched it.

42 minutes ago, Damiru Sensith said:

You should be fine, Linus have a video about this.

you will get an an idea about it after you watched it.

That video is more specifically about Windows activation, not moving Windows between entirely different platforms. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I Would say no. Since you are moving to an entirely different platform that has its own specific chipset drivers it is always best practice to just reinstall completely and start from scratch. Otherwise you risk running into all sort of weird issues, performance loss and BSODs. 

Even if you are not upgrading, it is actually not a bad idea to reinstall Windows once in a while in order to keep everything running optimally. I personally reinstall my OS once a big new update is out. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

1 hour ago, lexusgamer05 said:

You're going to be switching to a different more up to date platform, I highly recommend reinstalling or you will encounter issues

nah its fine. ive upgraded from a 1700x to a 10900k and i didnt have any issues besides needing to reactivate windows

1 hour ago, ProjectBox153 said:

Upgrading your CPU is not the same as upgrading your entire platform, especially when moving from Intel to AMD. You can probably get away with it, but I would highly recommend doing a clean installation of Windows. Yes, it may take a while to get everything configured again, but it's worth it to avoid the random issues you can encounter with an old copy of Windows that you've moved from another platform. 

i moved from a 1700x to a 10900k and didnt have any issues besides needing to reactivate windows

1 hour ago, Rayzioz said:

I'm finally upgrading my computer from it's current 4690k to the new 5600x tonight/this weekend and i'm wondering how this will work with windows.

ideally i don't want to try re-installing all of my applications as i fear some of them will lose the set up i've spent way too long optimizing.

i was going to follow this random guy's steps in trying to retain windows without doing a fresh install, but is there any known issues especially going from intel to AMD?

or should i just give up and do a fresh install, in which case i might as well buy the 980 pro nvme ssd and install the OS on there.

chances are that it will be fine. i did the same. i moved from a amd 1700x to an intel 10900k. i only needed to reactivate windows. 

i would suggest that you remove any programms that are related to the motherboard etc

6 minutes ago, flo_306 said:

i moved from a 1700x to a 10900k and didnt have any issues besides needing to reactivate windows

A 1700X to a 10900K is a much smaller jump than what OP is making. My advice still stands: a fresh install is ALWAYS better in the long run. 

Some people say yes and some say no....

I have changed/upgraded hardware and kept my old Windows install several times.

It usually works fine but once or twice I have needed to do a full reinstall of Windows. 

Just do it

Doitpalpatine.jpg

Backup your important files before upgrading so you are safe. 

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

Thank you all

some mixed answers but i'll just try back up the important apps individually to keep any macros for them and do a clean new install on a brand new ssd.

seems to be the safest and potentially time saving option overall.

50 minutes ago, flo_306 said:

nah its fine. ive upgraded from a 1700x to a 10900k and i didnt have any issues besides needing to reactivate windows

We are not talking here about what you have personally done and ahs worked, but what the best practice is. The best practice is to reinstall in order to avoid potential issues, which might not present themselves immediately. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Doitpalpatine.jpg.e39df02dbe9ae45abafc402381183bbf.jpg

Like @Boyohansaid... JUST DO IT.
back it important files and try using the same windows on the new one.
if you're lucky it will adjust itself, if it fails, you can just reinstall.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w