will a repair erase files?

iAsuno

so i found out i can't install sp1 because bcd can't be opened and configuration registry database is corrupt. and the windows support guide tells me to:

1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer using the computer's power button.

2. Do one of the following:

• If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

• If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.

3. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press Enter. If prompted, select the Windows 7 installation to be repaired, and then click Next.

4. Select the language and keyboard input method, and then click Next.

5. Select the user name of an administrator account, type the password, and then click OK.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

7. Carefully type Bootrec /rebuildbcd and then press Enter.

8. Restart the computer, and try reinstalling SP1.

now, will it delete some files i have downloaded?

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

No, it will only repair the PC and you shouldn't loose any files....

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

No, it will only repair the PC and you shouldn't loose any files....

thanks. and if you know, may i ask what certain features does sp1 bring?

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Not really but usually they say its bring some perfomance gains, better security and blah blah blah...

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

I don't think any features, but just major security tweaks and performance optimization

so i found out i can't install sp1 because bcd can't be opened and configuration registry database is corrupt. and the windows support guide tells me to:

1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer using the computer's power button.

2. Do one of the following:

• If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

• If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.

3. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press Enter. If prompted, select the Windows 7 installation to be repaired, and then click Next.

4. Select the language and keyboard input method, and then click Next.

5. Select the user name of an administrator account, type the password, and then click OK.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

7. Carefully type Bootrec /rebuildbcd and then press Enter.

8. Restart the computer, and try reinstalling SP1.

now, will it delete some files i have downloaded?

Like Mixzzz said. it will find the corrupt or infected files and fix them. and also restore the ones you may have lost. mind you they are fixing and restoring system files. if your worried than backing up can be your best friend

Game On :)

SP1 includes security, performance, and stability upgrades. also brings new improvements to features such as reliability when connecting to a HDMI audio device, printing using xps viewer, and restoring previous folders in windows explorer after restarting.

and thats it

Game On :)