PC Performance vs Console Performance

MacSauce

I'm struggling to understand how consoles such as the PS5 and Xbox SX can kick out some games at 4k/60fps, while I read articles about how a 3060ti can't hit that in most modern games. How is it that a PC that can cost 2 to 4 times as much as a console can't blow them out of the water? What am I missing? 

18 minutes ago, camieabz said:

Ahh, but can the console be used to read this, reply to it, and calculate in Excel if it was all worth it? 🤪

My phone does all that though lol

18 minutes ago, MacSauce said:

I'm struggling to understand how consoles such as the PS5 and Xbox SX can kick out some games at 4k/60fps, while I read articles about how a 3060ti can't hit that in most modern games. How is it that a PC that can cost 2 to 4 times as much as a console can't blow them out of the water? What am I missing? 

Consoles don't run games at "max" settings by a long shot - in some cases, they run at lower graphical quality than the lowest settings preset on PC. The current gen consoles don't really compare to a 3060ti anyway - GN found that they typically hover in the range of a 1060-1080 depending on the game:

The PS5 also is probably sold at a loss expecting to recoup the cost on more expensive game sales, so their hardware price to performance tends not to be very representative of their actual value.

37 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

Consoles don't run games at "max" settings by a long shot - in some cases, they run at lower graphical quality than the lowest settings preset on PC. The current gen consoles don't really compare to a 3060ti anyway - GN found that they typically hover in the range of a 1060-1080 depending on the game:

The PS5 also is probably sold at a loss expecting to recoup the cost on more expensive game sales, so their hardware price to performance tends not to be very representative of their actual value.

This is exactly what I was hoping someone would share here. Super informative video, thanks! I had suspected that ps5 graphical settings are less than high, never expected it to be as low as he was showing though.