Kernel Power 41 - Tried Everything?

immagetchu

Hi all,

I could REALLY use some help here... I built a new PC back in December and ever since, I have been having random crashes where the computer goes black, and hard resets to the BIOS screen, no error messages or anything. From the system log I can see that the error code is Kernel Power 41, but from looking around on other threads and articles online it appears to be a pretty common and broad error code, not too useful for narrowing it down. It is extremely random, sometimes not happening for up to a week and sometimes multiple times a day. I can say it primarily happens during games (more specifically loading screens, no relation to how intensive the games are), but that is definitely not a rule. There are a few games that are almost guaranteed to cause a crash, which are helpful for testing, but I would definitely appreciate having them back in my playable library...

My specs are as follows:

• Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x

• Motherboard: Asus x570 Gaming

• GPU: EVGA XC3 3080

• RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4 3000mhz

• PSU: Thermaltake Gold 850w

I have been working on this issue for months now, and for the life of me just cant find a fix. Here are the things I can think of that I have tried so far:

• Separately re tested having replaced all my primary components: PSU (and cables), Motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM.

• Reapplied thermal paste, used heat tracking software with alerts to monitor heat. No signs of overheating prior to any crash.

• Moved the drives to alternate ports, double checked all connections.

• Stress testing software on the RAM, PSU, CPU, and GPU. No errors found.

• Reinstalled all software that was having issues. Tried on different drives and everything.

• Reinstalled windows.

• Changed system settings including turning off ai overclocking from the BIOS, turning off fast startup in Windows and BIOS.

• I even took it to a very well reviewed local PC repair shop, and after taking a look at it on two separate occasions they were just as stumped as I was, and even refunded my diagnostic fee...

I think that list is pretty exhaustive, but I still haven't made any progress in actually fixing the problem. Does anyone have any ideas of further things I can try? Thank you

That's a tough one. 

13 minutes ago, immagetchu said:

Separately re tested having replaced all my primary components: PSU (and cables), Motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM

You changed each part out individually and it still crashed everytime?

14 minutes ago, immagetchu said:

Tried on different drives and everything.

What are your installed drives? 

Yep, between myself borrowing parts or the PC shop testing, we have tested it with each of those parts individually swapped and it still crashes.

And the drives are an SSD that I run windows off of, a 1tb HDD and 1tb M.2 for programs.

@immagetchu 

When you say you replaced the motherboard, did you replace it with a different make & model, or did you replace it with the same one? What apps are you running in the background? Anti-virus system? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

I am not sure the models, because the swapping motherboard and CPU tests were done in the shop, but the repair guy did assure me he tried them both separately. I sent a message to see if he does have the specs though, if you think that could be relevant.

As for apps, pretty standard: Nvidia drivers, discord, steam for the games, default windows security, and malwarebytes for security as well.

1 minute ago, immagetchu said:

I am not sure the models, because the swapping motherboard and CPU tests were done in the shop, but the repair guy did assure me he tried them both separately. I sent a message to see if he does have the specs though, if you think that could be relevant.

As for apps, pretty standard: Nvidia drivers, discord, steam for the games, default windows security, and malwarebytes for security as well.

And you have updated the bios and O.S right?

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Have you thought about the sorce? Not the psu. But the power coming from the wall.  Are you using a power strip or have you tried a different outlet that routes from a different breaker?

58 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

And you have updated the bios and O.S right?

Yep, as far as I can tell all related drivers are up to date.

37 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Have you thought about the sorce? Not the psu. But the power coming from the wall.  Are you using a power strip or have you tried a different outlet that routes from a different breaker?

Definitely not the issue, considering we were able to replicate the error in the PC shop.

1 hour ago, immagetchu said:

Yep, between myself borrowing parts or the PC shop testing, we have tested it with each of those parts individually swapped and it still crashes.

And the drives are an SSD that I run windows off of, a 1tb HDD and 1tb M.2 for programs.

Did you try just with the m. 2 or just the ssd?  If your m.2 is nvme, I would put the os on that and try to get it stable there.  

36 minutes ago, immagetchu said:

Yep, as far as I can tell all related drivers are up to date.

Definitely not the issue, considering we were able to replicate the error in the PC shop.

Have you tried a higher wattage psu.

The system power spikes might be to much for your psu, causing it to shutdown even though it technically within spec. Also might happen if your using pigtail connectors on the GPU.

I haven't, and unfortunately don't know anyone who has one that high, I figured the 850W would be overkill enough to not be a concern...

Also definitely no aftermarket connectors or pigtails, so I don't believe those are the issue. Especially since I tried a separate GPU as well.

1 hour ago, immagetchu said:

I haven't, and unfortunately don't know anyone who has one that high, I figured the 850W would be overkill enough to not be a concern...

Also definitely no aftermarket connectors or pigtails, so I don't believe those are the issue. Especially since I tried a separate GPU as well.

What I'd do is ask that shop you took it to if they actually tested it with a different motherboard. And, just to be sure, I would run something called "SFC /Scannow" in the command prompt window. You should do it either in safe mode, or through the UEFI menu just to be safe, so that it doesn't make the issue worse. The O.S update might have been corrupted for all we know. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

• 2 months later...

Hi there! Have you found a solution already? I experienced the same issue, especially playing Warzone, but also Cyberpunk and Civ6. I sent my PC back to the shop now and they believe it is a GPU issue (AMD 5700 XT). But something interesting happened just yet. I had the same issue on my laptop that is connected to the same mouse/keyboard and monitor I used on the PC. Maybe it is a coincidence (it only happened once until now), but is it possible that the monitor causes the issues?