Why does my integrated GPU do work when I have an add in card as well?

alexthealex

I am not troubleshooting as everything more or less works as it is supposed to but, I am curious:

(i7 4790 + Quadro p1000)

When I perform work inside  Photoshop I can clearly see that only the Quadro is being utilized in task manager. However, when I grab the Photoshop window and move that around I can see in task manager that the integrated graphics is doing the work (which is confirmed by the fact that moving the window around is jittery as the IGPU of this CPU is pretty slow). Interestingly as I move a browser window around for instance this does not happen and I in general have not noticed the IGPU being utilized anywhere else yet.

So I am wondering, why is my IGPU suddenly taking over when I move a Photoshop window around? I didn't explicitly disable it but displays are plugged into the Quadro and it is supposed to do all the work isn't it?

Is there anything plugged into the onboard?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

11 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Nope, two monitors are both plugged in the Quadro

some programs, maybe even windows, use the integrated gpu for some tasks... especially things like UI, aka moving windows around etc... 

as for why and if that even makes sense, that's up to debate and I suppose it could be changed, somehow, but in case of how the OS is programmed, probably difficult... 

you may be able to set those things in Nvidia control panel, give it a try! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I've never had an integrated one, always a card. But, I suppose you could try disabling it via the Device Manager. If it has the GPU one, I don't see why it wouldn't have the integrated CPU version.

the iGPU is used for 3 things:

-as your main GPU (not in this case)

-Low power GPU (For like, just the desktop)

-Acceleration of other tasks

The IG is used to reduce power consumption and load on your discrete GPU in this case, so that it can focus on what lines it's drawing and not moving a window.

Open a GPU-demanding program, open Task Manager. You'll see that Quadro's usage ramp up once the IG gets above 75% or so.

Edit: you prolly don't want to disable that iGPU. I did that once, ruined my laptop that used an integrated Radeon HD and had a Radeon r9 discrete. Had to boot in safe mode and reinstall drivers.

16 hours ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Edit: you prolly don't want to disable that iGPU. I did that once, ruined my laptop that used an integrated Radeon HD and had a Radeon r9 discrete. Had to boot in safe mode and reinstall drivers.

Would that apply for a desktop?  OP appears to be running a discrete desktop GPU:

On 2/10/2021 at 4:22 PM, Mick Naughty said:

On 2/11/2021 at 3:38 AM, a0l0e0x000 said:

Nope, two monitors are both plugged in the Quadro

7 hours ago, metaleggman said:

Would that apply for a desktop?  OP appears to be running a discrete desktop GPU:

On 2/11/2021 at 9:04 PM, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

the iGPU is used for 3 things:

-as your main GPU (not in this case)

-Low power GPU (For like, just the desktop)

-Acceleration of other tasks

The IG is used to reduce power consumption and load on your discrete GPU in this case, so that it can focus on what lines it's drawing and not moving a window.

Open a GPU-demanding program, open Task Manager. You'll see that Quadro's usage ramp up once the IG gets above 75% or so.

Yes, it is a desktop. And you are right, wat3rmelon_man2, I won't be taking chances trying to disable it as it is more of a weird quirk than an actual problem.