infuriating stutter/throttling that makes no sense

Respaar

Sorry if I'm not posting this in the right place but i'm at my wits end with this PC problem I'm having.

Around late December 2020 i was playing a game and suddenly noticed my game kept stuttering really badly. yada yada with some help of someone on Reddit i downloaded HWiNFO and realized my cpu was thermal throttling. alright cool so out goes my stock CPU cooler and in comes a Noctua cooler.

got it installed and no more thermal throttling according to HWiNFO. well later on i noticed that my games are still doing that annoying immersion breaking stutter. it happens whenever i blow up 20 gas tanks or simply walk up some stairs. i reformatted my PC thinking it might be a windows/software issue but no luck, i even bought new ram and installed it and again no luck. this issue is driving me up the wall. help would be incredibly appreciated

This also happens with every game I play. The Hunter Call of the wild, Doom 2016, Elite Dangerous, Generation Zero. Far Cry 5, but I don't think it happens in Rocket League. Although it kinda happens in the main menu but the last time I played that game before now was a long time ago and I think the menu has always been a little laggy/stuttery

There is one game where i can make the stutter happen every time on a certain map. but on another map i'll do the same action and it doesn't happen. which really led me to believe it was ram since the other map is smaller thus needing less ram to play. but obviously that isn't the issue. i've updated every driver, reformatted my PC but chose to keep all my files updated BIOS version, deleted all old nvidia drivers and clean installed did a malware scan and nothing, although I'm not sure if it's just me but it seemed to very slightly help the stuttering? but then again not. it's all very confusing and i sound like a madman trying to explain everything lol. This is driving me absolutely nuts cause there's no reason why this should be happening. could my CPU have gotten damaged by the thermal throttling? i will admit i know very little about computers and thought it was the game and stuck with it for a bit so it was thermal throttling for a while.

my specs are

intel i7-7700k
GIGABYTE GTX 1080
Cougar VTX 700
ASUSTeK H110M-E/M.2
2 brand new (that i just put in thinking it was the issue)16GB G.Skill f4-3200c16-16GVK DDR4

Edited by Respaar

Pretty sure it's just the game at this point that spikes resource use in these particular scenarios.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Doesn't sound like a hardware issue based on what you describe. If you can't find anything online mentioning the issue and how to resolve it then you'll just have to try different in game graphics settings to see if any of them make a difference.

Other things like vsync, power settings, game modes etc. should be tried off/on to see if that helps.

Just out of interest, what is the CPU usage and GPU usage when the stuttering happens?

16 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Pretty sure it's just the game at this point that spikes resource use in these particular scenarios.

Sorry I edited my post. It happens in all games

12 minutes ago, Shabba said:

Doesn't sound like a hardware issue based on what you describe. If you can't find anything online mentioning the issue and how to resolve it then you'll just have to try different in game graphics settings to see if any of them make a difference.

Other things like vsync, power settings, game modes etc. should be tried off/on to see if that helps.

Just out of interest, what is the CPU usage and GPU usage when the stuttering happens?

Sorry I edited my post. It happens in all games. And for the usage neither spikes in usage other than normal ups and downs

Just now, Respaar said:

Sorry I edited my post. It happens in all games. And for the usage neither spikes in usage other than normal ups and downs

Are these games all online games? Perhaps packet loss is the culprit

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Are these games all online games? Perhaps packet loss is the culprit

No, single player and online. Elite dangerous is technically a online game but I play in solo alot but still happening

1 minute ago, Respaar said:

Okay well that rules out some game specific settings but it could still be a more general graphical, power or performance related setting.

Look in nvidia control panel and optimise it. this sort of stuff
Turn off windows game mode.

Try vsync/gsync on and off

Set windows power plan to max performance

Just now, Shabba said:

Okay well that rules out some game specific settings but it could still be a more general graphical, power or performance related setting.

Look in nvidia control panel and optimise it. this sort of stuff
Turn off windows game mode.

Try vsync/gsync on and off

Set windows power plan to max performance

Ok I will when I wake up. Thank you. But to throw out more information this happened at the drop of a hat during/right after I fixed my thermal throttling problem. So idk how my settings were wrong for 2 years but who knows 

4 minutes ago, Respaar said:

No, single player and online. Elite dangerous is technically a online game but I play in solo alot but still happening

What I mean is, are they still connected to the internet? Will they run if you disconnect your system from the internet?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

8 minutes ago, Respaar said:

Ok I will when I wake up. Thank you. But to throw out more information this happened at the drop of a hat during/right after I fixed my thermal throttling problem. So idk how my settings were wrong for 2 years but who knows 

don't know the answer to that but I suppose it's possible a driver update or a windows update at some point could have affected things

14 hours ago, Shabba said:

don't know the answer to that but I suppose it's possible a driver update or a windows update at some point could have affected things

did what that video told me to do. still having that problem ........ i'm getting so sick of this. i just want my pc to work like it did before i guess a damn ghost possessed my pc...... awesome.

15 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

What I mean is, are they still connected to the internet? Will they run if you disconnect your system from the internet?

just unplugged my modem and played a few games........ still happening ......

15 hours ago, Shabba said:

Could it be possible that i have lasting damage to my cpu/mobo from the thermal throttling that happened?

33 minutes ago, Respaar said:

Could it be possible that i have lasting damage to my cpu/mobo from the thermal throttling that happened?

CPU's usually have pretty high tolerances these days when it comes to thermals. They should shutdown your PC before any permanent damage occurs.

This is most likely a software issue. 

Did you try to download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and run it in safemode, to uninstall the GPU driver?

This is what i do, to troubleshoot GPU issues:

First download a fresh GPU driver, but dont install it yet. Just have it in folder somewhere.

Next download DDU. After you have DDU downloaded, disconnect your PC from the internet, take out the ethernet cable if you can, or disable WiFi if your using wifi. You need to disconnect the internet so windows update doesn't install a GPU driver automatically when you restart your PC.

Then restart your PC in safemode and run DDU. Select GPU, then select AMD or Nvidia, depending on what GPU driver you want to uninstall and click Clean and Restart.

After your PC restarts, and your at the desktop, install the GPU driver that you downloaded before you disconnected your internet.

After the driver is installed and you restarted your PC, connect your internet to your PC again, you should also check if windows needs any updates.

Also, make sure to install any chipset drivers for your motherboard if you haven't already. I see many people forget about chipset drivers.

Good luck.

3 hours ago, D3IM0S said:

CPU's usually have pretty high tolerances these days when it comes to thermals. They should shutdown your PC before any permanent damage occurs.

Did you try to download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and run it in safemode, to uninstall the GPU driver?

First download a fresh GPU driver, but dont install it yet. Just have it in folder somewhere.

Next download DDU. After you have DDU downloaded, disconnect your PC from the internet, take out the ethernet cable if you can, or disable WiFi if your using wifi. You need to disconnect the internet so windows update doesn't install a GPU driver automatically when you restart your PC.

Then restart your PC in safemode and run DDU. Select GPU, then select AMD or Nvidia, depending on what GPU driver you want to uninstall and click Clean and Restart.

After your PC restarts, and your at the desktop, install the GPU driver that you downloaded before you disconnected your internet.

After the driver is installed and you restarted your PC, connect your internet to your PC again, you should also check if windows needs any updates.

Also, make sure to install any chipset drivers for your motherboard if you haven't already. I see many people forget about chipset drivers.

Good luck.

I followed this video and did everything and still no luck. i even downloaded old drivers, although i didn't DDU it i just installed old drivers over the new one.

3 hours ago, D3IM0S said:

Good luck.

One person on Tomshardware.com said that my mobo was limiting my ram speed but i said that i had had this mobo for quite a while and it hadn't caused any problem till now he quickly stopped responding lol. idk if that statement hold any truth or what

5 hours ago, Respaar said:

I don't think so. Throttling itself is a damage prevention mechanism. It throttles to keep the temps from getting too high.

1 hour ago, Shabba said:

I don't think so. Throttling itself is a damage prevention mechanism. It throttles to keep the temps from getting too high.

yea but ...... there has to be a explanation other than a ghost is in my pc hell bent on tormenting me. 

12 minutes ago, Respaar said:

yea but ...... there has to be a explanation other than a ghost is in my pc hell bent on tormenting me. 

I understand what you're saying I just don't think the cpu could be damaged by high temps if it was throttling down as it should. I'd be more worried if for some reason it wasn't throttling and just letting temps soar.

Perhaps the CPU is in fact faulty and you just got really unlucky in the silicon lottery. Perhaps it worked fine for 2 yrs and then just went bad.

I think it's still more likely to be software related but unless you could try swapping in an identical CPU to see if the same thing happens then you might never know.

Maybe some nice person on here would have a spare 7700k sitting around that they could send you and you could send it back to them after you've tried it.

2 minutes ago, Shabba said:

I understand what you're saying I just don't think the cpu could be damaged by high temps if it was throttling down as it should. I'd be more worried if for some reason it wasn't throttling and just letting temps soar.

Perhaps the CPU is in fact faulty and you just got really unlucky in the silicon lottery. Perhaps it worked fine for 2 yrs and then just went bad.

I think it's still more likely to be software related but unless you could try swapping in an identical CPU to see if the same thing happens then you might never know.

Maybe some nice person on here would have a spare 7700k sitting around that they could send you and you could send it back to them after you've tried it.

hah i doubt it. but yeah it must be software/settings issue to. kinda seems like my pc "thinks" it's going to thermal throttle so it throttles by itsself. i've done everything in that video with the NVIDIA control panel and turned off windows gaming. still nothing. i have msi afterburner and hwinfo. i can play a game and make the stutter happen and play for about 10 min and tell me where to look and i'll read off the graphs?

1 hour ago, Respaar said:

hah i doubt it. but yeah it must be software/settings issue to. kinda seems like my pc "thinks" it's going to thermal throttle so it throttles by itsself. i've done everything in that video with the NVIDIA control panel and turned off windows gaming. still nothing. i have msi afterburner and hwinfo. i can play a game and make the stutter happen and play for about 10 min and tell me where to look and i'll read off the graphs?

I guess something you could try is to go back to older BIOS and Chipset Drivers and see if that makes any difference. You said it used to work fine, perhaps a newer BIOS or Chipset update caused the issue. Kinda clutching at straws here but it shouldn't be hard to do.

Just go to the motherboard support page and pick a BIOS from back when you are sure you had no poblem, also a Chipset drivers from the same time period.

If this (by some miracel) works then just don't update them again.

If it doesn't work, perhaps a newer motherboard??? I see your model hasn't had any updates since 2019.

11 minutes ago, Shabba said:

I guess something you could try is to go back to older BIOS and Chipset Drivers and see if that makes any difference. You said it used to work fine, perhaps a newer BIOS or Chipset update caused the issue. Kinda clutching at straws here but it shouldn't be hard to do.

Just go to the motherboard support page and pick a BIOS from back when you are sure you had no poblem, also a Chipset drivers from the same time period.

If it doesn't work, perhaps a newer motherboard??? I see your model hasn't had any updates since 2019.

i was using the same mobo version for the longest time and hadn't updated it....... i recently updated them to try and fix it ........ yeah i guess. i'm totally at a loss rn. guess i gotta spend some more money and a dice roll to see if it works.

15 minutes ago, Shabba said:

again i'm new and inexperienced in all this. but is updating BIOS the same as updating chipset? no right? i did the thing where i updated my bios through a usb drive in the bios. is updating the chipset something different?

26 minutes ago, Shabba said:

If you're talking about going into device manager i regularly scan for windows updates and they say doing that keeps them up to date.