Need help selecting PSU

e22big
Go to solution Solved by ForwardVoltage,
On 2/10/2021 at 12:11 AM, e22big said:

nope they are all roughtly the same price, TT GF1 (gold though not platinum or titanium) is actually slightly cheaper than NZXT C, while RM is the chepest (by a lot)

money doesn't matter that much in this price range though, if RM is subpar compare with the rest I am more than willing to drop it

Sounds like a GF1 recommendation to me.

On 2/10/2021 at 12:13 AM, e22big said:

well, guess that's a deal breaker, I am looking for 750 watt PSU exactly because I have a pretty power hungry GPU (3080)

The thing is, Seasonic had a rebranding moment a little while ago. Their prior units (and still Prime Platinum/Titanium units) have OCP problems causing them not to be able to handle transients like on 1080TI, 2080TI, VEGA 64, and by extension, RDNA2/Ampere. You can check the tierlist notes, but those units have been phasing out of production since January of last year, and they should be shouldn't be a concern on what you get...

Worst comes to worst and you got old stock, the unit will just turn off during operation...Then, just return it.

I am innitially looking to buy either NZXT C750 or Cooler Master V750 SFX to replace my old 850 watt CM PSU, someone in my old post inform me that SFX just don't work with ATX case and NZXT C-series isn't ideal. I don't have a lot of good option available right now so I compile a few here and would like you guy opinion on which is the best to buy 

NZXT C750 (my innitial choise)

THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF1 750W 80 PLUS GOLD

Corsair RM750 Gold

ANTEC ANTEC HCG-750

ASUS 750W ROG STRIX 80 PLUS GOLD 

These are all having a 10 years warranty, cost the same except Corsair RM750 which is significantly cheaper than the others and Asus ROG which a bit more expensive than the rest. If there's significant flaws I am kind of like the look on NZXT C750 but I also value something that can run quietly or in semi-fanless mode. 

Any opinion are welcomed

2 hours ago, e22big said:

NZXT C-series isn't ideal.

that is pretty good psu.

if the RM is much cheaper get that. there are not really much difference between those other than the HCG having issues with high power gpus.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

7 hours ago, e22big said:

I am innitially looking to buy either NZXT C750 or Cooler Master V750 SFX to replace my old 850 watt CM PSU, someone in my old post inform me that SFX just don't work with ATX case and NZXT C-series isn't ideal. I don't have a lot of good option available right now so I compile a few here and would like you guy opinion on which is the best to buy 

NZXT C750 (my innitial choise)

THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF1 750W 80 PLUS GOLD

Corsair RM750 Gold

ANTEC ANTEC HCG-750

ASUS 750W ROG STRIX 80 PLUS GOLD 

These are all having a 10 years warranty, cost the same except Corsair RM750 which is significantly cheaper than the others and Asus ROG which a bit more expensive than the rest. If there's significant flaws I am kind of like the look on NZXT C750 but I also value something that can run quietly or in semi-fanless mode. 

Any opinion are welcomed

The NZXT C,  Antec High Current Gamer, Asus Strix are all built the same internally (Strix has bigger GAMER ROG heatsinks) other than the fan bearing used...

TT GF1 is the best of the list; however, if money is tight, then we can skip that option. Additionally, some SFX units work in ATX cases if you have an adapter. You just need the holes on where to secure the unit to match. However, CM's SFX units have been having fan problems. Their first revision had terrible fan tuning and whining, and a new batch of them still has the issue.

If the NZXT C is cheaper than the RM, I would pick it up. I am not very fond of the RM series given their cut-down component selection (capacitors, lackluster heatsinks leading to fan bursting at ~90w load, and while I think removal of in-line caps is acceptable for production cost reduction, ripple goes up.) I have seen $60 units with better bulk cap and secondary side output filtering capacitors...Needless to say, capacitors are only a single part of a unit, so NZXT C v RM v GF1 is up to you.

9 hours ago, ForwardVoltage said:

The NZXT C,  Antec High Current Gamer, Asus Strix are all built the same internally (Strix has bigger GAMER ROG heatsinks) other than the fan bearing used...

TT GF1 is the best of the list; however, if money is tight, then we can skip that option. Additionally, some SFX units work in ATX cases if you have an adapter. You just need the holes on where to secure the unit to match. However, CM's SFX units have been having fan problems. Their first revision had terrible fan tuning and whining, and a new batch of them still has the issue.

If the NZXT C is cheaper than the RM, I would pick it up. I am not very fond of the RM series given their cut-down component selection (capacitors, lackluster heatsinks leading to fan bursting at ~90w load, and while I think removal of in-line caps is acceptable for production cost reduction, ripple goes up.) I have seen $60 units with better bulk cap and secondary side output filtering capacitors...Needless to say, capacitors are only a single part of a unit, so NZXT C v RM v GF1 is up to you.

nope they are all roughtly the same price, TT GF1 (gold though not platinum or titanium) is actually slightly cheaper than NZXT C, while RM is the chepest (by a lot)

money doesn't matter that much in this price range though, if RM is subpar compare with the rest I am more than willing to drop it

14 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

that is pretty good psu.

if the RM is much cheaper get that. there are not really much difference between those other than the HCG having issues with high power gpus.

well, guess that's a deal breaker, I am looking for 750 watt PSU exactly because I have a pretty power hungry GPU (3080)

On 2/10/2021 at 12:11 AM, e22big said:

On 2/10/2021 at 12:13 AM, e22big said:

The thing is, Seasonic had a rebranding moment a little while ago. Their prior units (and still Prime Platinum/Titanium units) have OCP problems causing them not to be able to handle transients like on 1080TI, 2080TI, VEGA 64, and by extension, RDNA2/Ampere. You can check the tierlist notes, but those units have been phasing out of production since January of last year, and they should be shouldn't be a concern on what you get...

Worst comes to worst and you got old stock, the unit will just turn off during operation...Then, just return it.

6 minutes ago, ForwardVoltage said:

thanks guess I'll do that