New 27" Monitor

JWKelly99

I'm considering these two monitors at the minute (LG 27UL850 or LG 27 QN880, I'm not firm on these two so am open to options as well. My budget is around £400), but I'm unsure of which to go for. I want to mount the monitor on an arm, which is the appeal of the Ergo (27QN880), but I'm not sure whether its better to go for the 4K option instead. Is the LG arm worth sacrificing 4K for? Would I really notice the difference between the 4K monitor and the QHD monitor?

Background: I had an 27" iMac 5k for a while, but I returned it and I'm waiting for an M1 MacBook Pro to arrive at the minute. I'm studying for a masters degree, so will be using the monitor for usual student stuff (textbook reading, teams calls, advanced econometric regression analysis, Financial modelling in excel), as well as the occasional photo editing (hobby photography) and content consumption.

Why can't you use the 4k with an arm? 27" is in the range of most  standard desk vesa mounts.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

24 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

Why can't you use the 4k with an arm? 27" is in the range of most  standard desk vesa mounts.

I can. But I don’t know if the ergo arm is worth the 4K sacrifice is all

VESA arms are easy and low cost at amazon etc. so I'd put the arm as a consideration aside..or at least lower on the value of it as a factor.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎