Trying to discern if I have a PSU or a GPU problem...

SolvirAurelius

I have a FSP Hydro 700w. My rig is Ryzen 3 1200, Sapphire NITRO+ RX 580 4GB, 4GB + 8GB RAM (diff brands), three HDDs and one SSD. I used to have a VS450 over my Hydro 700w because that PSU led me to frequent black screens that lasted for 2-5 seconds and occasional shutdowns. Ever since I bought this PSU second hand, those shutdowns stopped happening but the black screens still occur though more seldom. I'm beginning to think this is a GPU problem. However, I noticed that this PSU started making odd buzzing sounds, lest this is coil whine? It's my first time encountering a buzzing sound or coil whine so I can't tell which is which. Though if you should know anything else, touching the thumb screws shock me a bit whenever the PSU starts buzzing.

Two PCI-e cables are plugged to my GPU instead of one. BIOS switch is right-ward, away from the video ports. Having it left-ward causes my games to have some pretty yucky lag spikes but keeping this right-ward fixes all of those performance issues at the expense of those occasional black screens. I did some research but the answers were never concrete and always varied. Some say it's PSU, some say it's GPU but some also say that it's the drivers. I'm currently 21.1.1 and this performs way better than older drivers I've tried, unless you know an old driver that works better. 

Because of this, I've been thinking if I should ditch my PSU and buy something new. I have my eyes on Segotep GP650G and costs 2,900php (roughly 60usd / 50eur). Problem is, there isn't enough information out there to push my decision to buy it. After all, it's Chinese and pretty unknown to me. Though some reviews and forums say that it's completely reputable. I absolutely cannot afford something like the RM650, it's twice as pricey and I also can't seem to accept the chance that my GPU could be borked or something. I'm just a student who earned money from allowance for 5 years to get where I am right now lol. I know this is farfetched, but I might try using a different cord to see if that helps or something. 

Would absolutely appreciate help... Let me know if I should bite the bullet and buy the Segotep GP650G.

16 minutes ago, camieabz said:

Have a listen to 'coil whine on psu' vids on Youtube to compare your noises. 

I found this, and it sounds pretty familiar. 

3 minutes ago, camieabz said:

Fairy nuff. You have your answer. 🙂

Does that also explain my intermittent black screens as well as mild shock from thumb screws? Some threads say that coil whine is not really harmful.

2 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

If you are getting zapped on the ground side of the case, I would check your outlet you are plugged into for correct polarity. It should never zap you.

I might have to call an electrician then. Also, I only get zapped whenever I hear my PSU make that buzzing sound/coil whine. As long as it doesn't make noise, it really doesn't zap me.

2 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

You can buy a ac polarity checker for about $10-20 dollars. Worth every penny

Thanks, I'll check out my local shop for one. Also, does my outlet being funny have to do something with my GPU acting up then?