Password protect Windows 10 folders

steelo

Hi guys,

Does anybody know of a way to password protect folders in Win10? I have some log in .txt files that I want to make sure are protected if I was ever hacked. I've read a few guides that look like a pain in the butt, involving creating batch files to lock/unlock. Right now, I'm using 7zip to password protect which 'works', but is there a built in Windows function to do this?

Thanks!

Nothing built in but you can get folder encryption tools that not only lock the folder with a username/password but also encrypt everything contained within them.

Here's a top 10 list - https://www.techradar.com/uk/best/best-encryption-software#1-folder-lock

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

i don't belive windows has a built in feature to password protect files.

however i'm not entirely certain, and i cant find any way to do it on google.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, flashiling said:

i don't belive windows has a built in feature to password protect files.

however i'm not entirely certain, and i cant find any way to do it on google.

I found a few results which basically is creating a batch file within the folder, adding your password then clicking the 'unlock' or 'lock' .bat file. Looks like too much of a hassle tbh.

20 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Nothing built in but you can get folder encryption tools that not only lock the folder with a username/password but also encrypt everything contained within them.

Here's a top 10 list - https://www.techradar.com/uk/best/best-encryption-software#1-folder-lock

Thank you, I wasn't sure which encryption tool was best. I should also mention, this is a for a NAS drive for my home.

4 minutes ago, steelo said:

Yeah, this is what I was looking at yesterday. I was hoping there was an easier way =(

You can also use WINRAR to password protect a zip file. Or use a encryption program such as NordLocker.

2 minutes ago, Logical-Year-1236 said:

You can also use WINRAR to password protect a zip file.

I'm using 7zip right now.

I guess this is what I'll have to stick with. It works, I was just curious if there was any Windows built in function (which there apparently isn't)

2 minutes ago, steelo said:

I'm using 7zip right now.

I guess this is what I'll have to stick with. It works, I was just curious if there was any Windows built in function (which there apparently isn't)

There is a built in feature called EFS. This site can help you set it up. How to a Encrypt a Folder or File in Windows 10 with Encrypting File System (EFS) - WinBuzzer