Will my psu fry my gpu

SquiddyButler
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
6 minutes ago, SquiddyButler said:

is an overkill psu bad

No, a power supply will deliver the amount of watts asked for and no more (barring any major design flaws.) it's only bad for your wallet.

7 minutes ago, SquiddyButler said:

how often does a psu kill any parts

A power supply has to be extraordinarily bad to kill other components, a unit as quality as a Corsair RM is extremely unlikely to die and take other components with it.

I got a Corsair RM750w psu and my Zotac 3070 is shipping. But I have two questions, is an overkill psu bad and how often does a psu kill any parts mainly the gpu, because I won't be able to replace it.

An "overkill" PSU won't do anything... devices only use as much power as they ask for, a PSU is only "rated" for its maximum output, in your case 750W, which should be plenty enough for Zotac's lackluster under-performing 30 series cards. Corsair is a trustworthy PSU supply as well, of all the things in your system killing components I'd say it's the least of your concerns

Please tell me you didn't pay a scalper for that card though

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

6 minutes ago, SquiddyButler said:

is an overkill psu bad

No, a power supply will deliver the amount of watts asked for and no more (barring any major design flaws.) it's only bad for your wallet.

7 minutes ago, SquiddyButler said:

how often does a psu kill any parts

A power supply has to be extraordinarily bad to kill other components, a unit as quality as a Corsair RM is extremely unlikely to die and take other components with it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

Corsair is a trustworthy PSU supply as well, of all the things in your system killing components I'd say it's the least of your concerns

A bad power supply is the biggest risk you can take with a system, because unlike other components, when a power supply fails it can take the whole PC with it. 

Corsair is a brand. They've made plenty of shit power supplies. They've actually made shitty 750-watt power supplies, like the Green CX750 and the modular grey CX750M (the non-modular is fine). If you blindly trust Corsair or EVGA to always make good PSUs, you could end up with such a failure.

It's the model you'll want to note - the RM he's got is decent

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

Despite popular belief, components draw power, the PSU does't push it. There is no risk of killing your components with an overkill PSU. 

That's not to say that if you get a bad PSU it won't fry your system, but Corsair is a reliable manufacturer and it's very unlikely that you a defective one.

9 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

An "overkill" PSU won't do anything... devices only use as much power as they ask for, a PSU is only "rated" for its maximum output, in your case 750W, which should be plenty enough for Zotac's lackluster under-performing 30 series cards. Corsair is a trustworthy PSU supply as well, of all the things in your system killing components I'd say it's the least of your concerns

Please tell me you didn't pay a scalper for that card though

No, I got insanely lucky and got it from the Zotac website, also tax was a ton around 80 I think, plus 32 in shipping

I think you don't understand the meaning of the word 'Overkill'. Overkill doesn't mean 'it'll kill everything'. It means 'more than what's required'. 

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

Just now, Aereldor said:

I think you don't understand the meaning of the word 'Overkill'. Overkill doesn't mean 'it'll kill everything'. It means 'more than what's required'. 

Ik what it means lol

1 minute ago, SquiddyButler said:

No, I got insanely lucky and got it from the website, also tax was a ton around 80 I think think plus 32 in shipping

At least you have one and you didn't get it from a scalper.

Just now, CreativeName642 said:

At least you have one and you didn't get it from a scalper.

Yep

39 minutes ago, SquiddyButler said:

I got a Corsair RM750w psu and my Zotac 3070 is shipping. But I have two questions, is an overkill psu bad and how often does a psu kill any parts mainly the gpu, because I won't be able to replace it.

Depends on the model number, the old units made by Chicony Power Technology had issues. If you have a CWT unit, it should be fine.

BAD RM750 (75-001937 / CP-9020055)

GOOD RM750 (RPS0019 / CP-9020055)