Games Freezing, PSU suspending for unknown reason

jediguy3000

*Apology in advance for lack of proper protocol in this post, as it's my first time posting in any forum of any kind that I can recall.*

My issue is seemingly random freezing while in-game. Messages include: "The GPU will not respond to more commands, most likely because of an invalid command passed by the calling application," or, "The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action," or no message at all. Often the music and sounds of the game will continue, just the game screen itself is frozen. The rest of my PC seems unaffected, as I can always close out the application through task manager and start it back up again.

Games problem occurs in: Shadow of War, Shadow of Mordor, Mortal Shell, Raft. Games issue notably has not occurred in: Witcher 3 (max settings), Risk of Rain 2, Deep Rock Galactic, etc.

Going through WB Games support, they ended up saying that it was NVIDIA's more recent driver updates that caused the problems, and that potentially reverting back to older versions might help me. Having tried that, along with extensive in-game settings tweaks, verifying game file integrity & redownloading, tweaking Nvidia settings, running a DDU, re-inserting the GPU and ensuring nothing in the slot, tweaking drivers settings to optimize performance rather than quality, Updating the BIOS (I think?), and even doing a completely clean install of windows. I've even discovered the issue on other games, such as Mortal Shell and Raft (and other games that run fine, such as Risk of Rain 2, Deep Rock Galactic, etc).  So far, nothing has worked, and I'm getting kind of burnt out scouring the internet for solutions and only seeing the same things that I've already tried. I've also tried going through Nvidia support, to no avail yet.

Obligatory Specs:

- CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

- MOBO: ASUS TUF GAMING x570-PLUS (BIOS version 3001, latest non-beta)

- CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism

- RAM: 2x16GB  DDR4 OLOy

- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8gb

- Storage: Samsung 1TB SSD & Two 2TB HDD's

- PSU: Corsair CX650M

- Monitor: Dell AW3418DW (3440 x 1440)

Suspended.PNG

Did you by chance try limiting your fps with vsync or a 3rd party program like rivia tuner ? I had this issue a few years ago with games mostly running on the unreal engine . When your vsync is turned off it's sometimes possible that your gpu throttles and times out . It's also possible that the gpu is reaching the temp limit set by the manufacturer . I had a msi R9380 that would crash the moment it touched 72c even tho the R9380 was supposed to safely play at like 95 or something 

12 minutes ago, Leot1995 said:

Did you by chance try limiting your fps with vsync or a 3rd party program like rivia tuner ?

I typically have vsync turned on just to avoid screen tearing. The monitor is also G-sync enabled so I've tried turning that on and off as well, but no change.

12 minutes ago, Leot1995 said:

It's also possible that the gpu is reaching the temp limit set by the manufacturer . I had a msi R9380 that would crash the moment it touched 72c even tho the R9380 was supposed to safely play at like 95 or something 

I have CPUID HWMonitor and was watching for overheating or crazy power usage, but I never saw my GPU go over 75. Is there a way to check/adjust for that?