My computer throws BSOD with memory management and i dont know what to do

Go to solution Solved by Xenom Apperance,

Possible RAM or motherboard issue

So, my first (recent) BSOD happened when I was playing gmod and everything looked fine when suddenly the game freezes and familiar windows :(. appears. So, I thought it was because I was trying out linux on USB and it wasnt the latest version so I got "security certificate error". I quickly fixed that by turning off fast boot and secure boot. I tried linux ubuntu out (19.04. to be exact, I think). So, the same day I play the gmod and the BSOD appears with "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" error. So I thought "hm, lets turn on that fast and secure boot", so I did and a day later I am playing a game "Plague inc." on multiplayer while at the same time I am downloading a movie (around 150-200 KB/s + I am using the latest opera GX release) and again, suddenly "MEMORY MANAGEMENT" and a BSOD with WRONG COLOR (orange like background) and here we are. I did not overclock anything and I have laptop MSI GE60 using windows 10 64-bit version 20H2 build 19042.746.

Run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and see if that brings up any errors. It would also be helpful to check your BIOS and post what voltage and frequency your RAM is running at.

Also, is this a new build, or have you been using the PC for a while and this just recently started happening?

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

18 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and see if that brings up any errors. It would also be helpful to check your BIOS and post what voltage and frequency your RAM is running at.

Also, is this a new build, or have you been using the PC for a while and this just recently started happening?

It started recently and the laptop is quite old already (even has 760M GPU), but I am considering a new build already because it barely runs windows. And as for the diagnostics tool (just for my comfort of not having to google anything) where do I find that Windows memory diagnostic tool? And as for the voltage, I will post it tomorrow because I have GMT+ 1 so it is quite late now and I don’t have the time (sorry for the inconvenience, but it might help that it is running DDR3).

7 minutes ago, Xenom Apperance said:

It started recently and the laptop is quite old already (even has 760M GPU), but I am considering a new build already because it barely runs windows. And as for the diagnostics tool (just for my comfort of not having to google anything) where do I find that Windows memory diagnostic tool?

Oh, it's a laptop. In that case disregard the thing I said about ram voltage and frequency. As far as the memory diagnostic tool, just search "memory diagnostic" in start and it should come up. Once you start it will ask you to restart your PC, and when you do you'll be greeted by a screen that looks like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Just leave it on the default options which should be a standard test with 2 passes (if you want to be sure you can press F1 to go into the settings and make sure they're set to the right thing or change them). It may take an hour or two, so make sure to leave your laptop plugged in.

You can check to see if it's found errors at any point during the test by just looking at the status. If at any point it changes and says errors were found, you can check the diagnostic log in the windows event viewer afterwards to see if it gives any more specific details (it's somewhat complicated to do so I'll only give instructions if they're needed after you run the test).

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

2 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Oh, it's a laptop. In that case disregard the thing I said about ram voltage and frequency. As far as the memory diagnostic tool, just search "memory diagnostic" in start and it should come up. Once you start it will ask you to restart your PC, and when you do you'll be greeted by a screen that looks like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Just leave it on the default options which should be a standard test with 2 passes (if you want to be sure you can press F1 to go into the settings and make sure they're set to the right thing or change them). It may take an hour or two, so make sure to leave your laptop plugged in.

You can check to see if it's found errors at any point during the test by just looking at the status. If at any point it changes and says errors were found, you can check the diagnostic log in the windows event viewer afterwards (it's somewhat complicated to do so I'll only give instructions if they're needed after you run the test).

Oh, ok, I will first post the voltage and then run the diagnostics thing. But I am really starting to consider linux because it is more reliable and more suitable for my machine, but if it isn’t the problem with windows and if it is just ram problem, then I even don’t know right now xD

2 minutes ago, Xenom Apperance said:

Oh, ok, I will first post the voltage and then run the diagnostics thing. But I am really starting to consider linux because it is more reliable and more suitable for my machine, but if it isn’t the problem with windows and if it is just ram problem, then I even don’t know right now xD

I wasn't aware that this was a laptop you're using when I asked that. Laptop BIOS is usually locked down so that you can't change RAM voltage or frequency, so it probably won't even tell you what it's running at.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

8 hours ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

I wasn't aware that this was a laptop you're using when I asked that. Laptop BIOS is usually locked down so that you can't change RAM voltage or frequency, so it probably won't even tell you what it's running at.

Oh yea, I couldn’t find pretty much anything except for some system info :/.

42B2EFED-0FA5-4949-B8E1-4F5586EBC5D4.jpeg

I'd also advise downloading memtest86 and using the included utility to create a bootable USB drive to run it from. 

Let it run its course. If your memory is faulty, you'd see some errors propped up pretty quickly 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I have just ran the "Windows memory diagnostics tool" and right from the start it told me: "Byly zjištěny potíže s hardwarem. Chcete-li identifikovat a opravit tyto potíže, musíte se obrátit na výrobce počítače." (it is in my natural language: czech).

So it means: "Issues with hardware were found. If you want to identify and repair these issues, you have to contact manufacturer of your device."

After the standard 2 pass test, it booted up and showed me the screen that I attachted it says practically the same thing: "Windows memory diagnostics; Computer probably has issues with memory; Problems with memory can cause information loss or shutdown the computer (that is what it is meant to say, in word-to-word translation it says something like "end of computer´s function") If you want to identify and repair this problem, please contact the manufacturer of this computer".

So, I guess I am done, even though the machine works just fine (actually I AM writing this on that computer), however I think that it is better to outright build a new one instead of buying new RAM modules. I was thinking that I might save another 460 dollars to buy a better build, but I guess now that I have practically no other choice (or to take the risk and just use it now).

So, my last question is: should I buy a PC components in total worth of 640 dollars and throw this computer away OR take the risk and be on this computer for about half of a year (time that I think it will require to save that money) so I can build 1000 dollar PC.

I mean, if it runs for at least half of a day completly normal and these BSOD usually occur in the evening, I think I will hold onto it but any advice would be awesome.

Snímek obrazovky 2021-02-03 111541.png

2 hours ago, Xenom Apperance said:

So, my last question is: should I buy a PC components in total worth of 640 dollars and throw this computer away OR take the risk and be on this computer for about half of a year (time that I think it will require to save that money) so I can build 1000 dollar PC.

I mean, if it runs for at least half of a day completly normal and these BSOD usually occur in the evening, I think I will hold onto it but any advice would be awesome.

New ram for that computer shouldn't cost more than $50-60 depending on how much you want to get. It's possible it could be a fault with the motherboard as well, but if you want to take the chance on $50 to be able to get a better PC in the long run, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, you could still put together a decent PC for $640.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

3 hours ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

New ram for that computer shouldn't cost more than $50-60 depending on how much you want to get. It's possible it could be a fault with the motherboard as well, but if you want to take the chance on $50 to be able to get a better PC in the long run, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, you could still put together a decent PC for $640.

Well, if my PC was good enough I would actually buy those modules right away, but the problem is that my PC is pretty much comparable to potato. Windows takes 1-2 minutes to even boot up, then in total I spend about 4 minutes to enter the desktop and after that waiting another 2 minutes to even load up discord and initiate steam. Then I launch a game (like payday 2 that is NOT so heavy on resources) and I get about 30 FPS if I am lucky and not playin g with friends, but normally I get around 20 FPS. Even that gmod is kinda laggy.

To be exact my specs are:

1 TB WD hard drive

Intel core i7-4780MQ

nVidia GTX 760M with 2GB of VRAM (and iGPU from intel)

8 GB of DDR3 RAM

and thats about it....

I am not saying that for a regular work such as sheets or docs it is not good, but it REALLY SUCKS in gaming and more so in loading up even windows.

And sometimes it just freezes for a long time and I really had hard time to try not to throw it out of my window sometimes (xD)

It is also reason why I want that new PC. I recently played entire half life series and I am really intrested in VR (also playing hlaf life: alyx for that reason). I am intrested in shaders and realistic graphics and wanting to play the latest and greatest AAA games. Also, before buying a game, I am concerned that my PC wont even run it (and then sometimes leading to me not buying that game at all or just leaving it in my library). And for that matter, I think I will continue using this computer for everything until it becomes unusable so I will have to throw it out and even before that happens I will probably already have that new build so yea.

Thanks for helping me, btw, I wouldnt even figure out I have broken RAM and that would be an issue if I decided to sell it. So, yea, thanks :P.

13 minutes ago, Xenom Apperance said:

It is also reason why I want that new PC. I recently played entire half life series and I am really intrested in VR (also playing hlaf life: alyx for that reason). I am intrested in shaders and realistic graphics and wanting to play the latest and greatest AAA games. Also, before buying a game, I am concerned that my PC wont even run it (and then sometimes leading to me not buying that game at all or just leaving it in my library). And for that matter, I think I will continue using this computer for everything until it becomes unusable so I will have to throw it out and even before that happens I will probably already have that new build so yea.

If you really want to get into VR, I would definitely advise saving up at least $1000 for your build. A VR capable GPU would cost you at least $250 at MSRP, but with the current market it will be much harder and more expensive to get your hands on one.

If the long boot times for Windows are a pain, you could look into getting an SSD for your laptop in the meantime. And then once you build your PC you can take the SSD from your laptop and put it into your build. Just think of it as buying a part ahead of the time. And it will save you money on your build later.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

17 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

If you really want to get into VR, I would definitely advise saving up at least $1000 for your build. A VR capable GPU would cost you at least $250 at MSRP, but with the current market it will be much harder and more expensive to get your hands on one.

If the long boot times for Windows are a pain, you could look into getting an SSD for your laptop in the meantime. And then once you build your PC you can take the SSD from your laptop and put it into your build. Just think of it as buying a part ahead of the time. And it will save you money on your build later.

Well, I'd like to do that, but somehow (I don't even know how) the plastic bottom shield of my laptop, which is supposed to just unscrew and remove is holding onto something from the inside and I am afraid that I will break that cover (because obviously, it is just plastic) and I really don't want to mess with that, because once I break it, I probably won't find replacement (because it is REALLY old) and leaving it without it is a really big risk (and even if it was not, I really dont want to do it). 

So, that makes any modifying not possible. So, yeah, but I will try somehow to remove it and I don't think that it will not hold up to some light games and just routine work. But replacing it with SSD is not a bad idea, actually. But I don't think I have m.2 slot so I will have to go with sata SSD which is not supposed to be in my build (because I am going to go with 2TB WD Black).

13 hours ago, SGT-AMD said:

Is it possible to re-seat the ram? That is worth a try.

Once I'll figure out how to open a bloddy thing I will surely give it a try.

UPDATE

I have manager to open the laptop and it even has SSD slot (but it looks like m.2 for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth cards)

image.jpg

So, my question (actually 2 questions) are:

1. Does SSD match to the interface that is present on HDDs for latptop (i think they are called 2.5 inch HDDs), so that I can buy regular SSD for sata and just put it there.

2. is that m.2 interface (it is near that sign where it says "SSD" and that ruler that I put there just to give you a rough consideration of how long it is and it is in metric cm, btw, not in imperial inches or whatever it is called)

I know that I should post a completely new topic for this but still, I am too lazy xD