SilverStone PSU Noise

Lito290

PSU: SilverStone SX750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Platinum Power Supply, SSTSX750-PT
Problem: Rhythmic "zap" or "buzz" noise that comes and goes

Solutions Attempted:

1. Re-mounting PSU
  2. Orienting PSU Vertically/Horizontally
  3. Checking for short-circuits
  4. Checking for cable failure/overuse
  5. Reseating cables on PSU & Components
  6. Using a different wall cable.
  7. Clearing CMOS

Details:

I'm running a Ryzen 7 5800X (undervolted) and a GTX 560 (I know, I know, I'm trying to find a 3080) inside of a CoolerMaster NR200 case. 750W should be plenty for both the CPU and GPU alongside all peripherals. The power supply is mounted to the back side panel with the fan out and should be able to draw air as necessary. The only time the PSU fan even spins up is when I'm running stress tests or gaming.

After having to tinker with the case some more to cable manage and mount/unmount the hard drive and AIO placement, the PSU started making a short, rhythmic buzzing noise, similar to dragging your finger along a plastic comb. It comes and goes without any warning; some days I don't hear it at all, other days it comes and goes every 5 minutes. The sound persists, even when the computer is fully shutdown and the power supply is switched off. I attempted to take a flashlight to look inside, but I didn't see anything that stuck out as "this shouldn't be here."

I then followed all of the solutions you see above. Currently (puns) I've sent an email to Silverstone stating the problem, but really can't deduce what's wrong with the thing, if anything, and I don't want to have to RMA this PSU if they're just going to send it back stating they can't find a problem with it, especially if they don't get the same sound I do on the day they decide to test it. Ambient temperature in my domicile is 20.6C, I'm not detecting any leaks from my AIO, all thermals/voltages/etc. appear normal on the 5 different monitors I've tried, and I haven't had the PSU surge and damage anything yet. At this point, I'm wondering if a friggin Mosquito got into the PSU and won't stop fighting. Anyone have any clue what it could be?

can you record the sound? A buzz makes me think about coil whine.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I Also agree with @HelpfulTechWizard your psu could also just be getting ready to die could you reply with possible video or the age and wattage of your psu.

Could be coil whine. My Silverstone SX500-LG does make a significant whine under load 

2 minutes ago, rykjohnson said:

I Also agree with @HelpfulTechWizard your psu could also just be getting ready to die could you reply with possible video or the age and wattage of your psu.

Coil whine can occur without being an indication that something is going to die. Many components emit coil whine and it is completely normal.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

1 minute ago, Analog said:

Coil whine can occur without being an indication that something is going to die. Many components emit coil whine and it is completely normal.

yeah i know mine does it to and of its under heavy load it could also be because the amount of power being pushed out under the load.  Also probably isn't this but your psu might not completely support the amount of power your pc is pulling.

1 minute ago, rykjohnson said:

Also probably isn't this but your psu might not completely support the amount of power your pc is pulling.

That SilverStone SX750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Platinum should be able to power a 5800X and a GTX 560 about 4-5 over. It certainly  provides more than enough power. 😉 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Just now, Analog said:

That SilverStone SX750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Platinum should be able to power a 5800X and a GTX 560 about 4-5 over. It certainly  provides more than enough power. 😉 

yeah i just realized what his specs were

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the delay! Work likes to take me away from fun things.

3 hours ago, light-v said:

Could be coil whine. My Silverstone SX500-LG does make a significant whine under load 

This sound occurs even when the system is turned off, so I don't think it's coil whine.

3 hours ago, rykjohnson said:

I hope it isn't getting ready to die, the PSU is only a month and a half from purchase date! It's the only reason I felt comfortable reaching out to SilverStone, I believe it's still under warranty

3 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

can you record the sound? A buzz makes me think about coil whine.

Recording is now attached.

A few notes: 

• This noise persists even when the entire system is off, including when the switch for the PSU is set to off.
  • I have tried plugging it directly into a wall instead of a power strip, and the noise still persists.
  • Upload limit had me compress the video to oblivion, sorry for potato quality.
  • Please ignore the anime background and crap cable management, I've been plugging and unplugging this thing so much I've just kinda given up.

48 minutes ago, Lito290 said:

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the delay! Work likes to take me away from fun things.

This sound occurs even when the system is turned off, so I don't think it's coil whine.

I hope it isn't getting ready to die, the PSU is only a month and a half from purchase date! It's the only reason I felt comfortable reaching out to SilverStone, I believe it's still under warranty

Recording is now attached.

A few notes: 

• This noise persists even when the entire system is off, including when the switch for the PSU is set to off.
  • I have tried plugging it directly into a wall instead of a power strip, and the noise still persists.
  • Upload limit had me compress the video to oblivion, sorry for potato quality.
  • Please ignore the anime background and crap cable management, I've been plugging and unplugging this thing so much I've just kinda given up.

Can you do one more step and unplug the system from the wall and see if that occurs still? The fact that the buzz still happen even when the switch on the Off position means it's unlikely to be an electrical issue but we need to test that still 

12 hours ago, light-v said:

Can you do one more step and unplug the system from the wall and see if that occurs still? The fact that the buzz still happen even when the switch on the Off position means it's unlikely to be an electrical issue but we need to test that still 

Once the system is no longer connected to the wall, the sound stops. I've tried 3 outlets in my apartment, but haven't had the chance to try at a different place yet.

Just to confirm: it could be an issue with my electricity delivery?