5800X thermal throttling on full load.

LazyDev
Go to solution Solved by mr cheese,

If you'd like to stay air-cooled, NH-D15 would work great for you. If you like water, the LiquidFreezer 240 would work great as well. The weird temperature distribution makes me think you may need to fix your thermal paste or your mounting (there is a process to tightening those screws), so I would check that.

Hello,

I'm looking around for options, as my 5800x is thermal throttling under full load. I currently have a Deep Cool Gamaxx 240 installed.

Screenshot_212.png.086e9b1653cf7d378eec854fb308bf27.png

I'm interested in both AIO's and heatsinks, thanks.

Current Build

If you'd like to stay air-cooled, NH-D15 would work great for you. If you like water, the LiquidFreezer 240 would work great as well. The weird temperature distribution makes me think you may need to fix your thermal paste or your mounting (there is a process to tightening those screws), so I would check that.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

12 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

The mounting on the current AIO does not inspire confidence, I will say. I'll probably try another AIO brand. Not sure what the thermal paste I used is called, but I doubt that it's optimal, either.

Current Build

I would consider the idea of remounting the cooler. It should handle your cpu just fine.

For better recommendations tho... What case do you have?

9 hours ago, narrdarr said:

For better recommendations tho... What case do you have?

Thermaltake Level 20 GT

Current Build

2 hours ago, LazyDev said:

Thermaltake Level 20 GT

Again your mount should be tight.

But that case dude..... Has no airflow. As a test take the side panel off and top off. Then test you should see a big drop in temps. If so get a new case instead of an aio

According to the specs. I would consider a 360mm in top or (if possible) a 280mm on the side. The surface area difference between a 360mm and 280mm is only about 10% depending on thickness.

RADIATOR SUPPORT Front:
1 x 360mm, 1 x 420mm, 1 x 360mm(For 200mm fan)
Top:
1 x 360mm, 1 x 360mm(For 200mm fan)
Rear:
1 x 120mm, 1 x 140mm
Right:
1 x 360mm, 1 x 420mm (AIO: 1 x360mm, 1 x 280mm)
Bottom:
1 x 240mm

I've purchased and installed an Arctic Freezer 2 420. I've also used Cooler Master's master gel pro v2.

CPU under full load as follows. It's not thermal throttling.

Screenshot_214.png.137f927eaf41879a0b9126a555231487.png

Current Build