I look forward to WiFi 6E but is there any way to adopt it early? I have some Idea but don't think it's possible yet.

FoSchmizzle
Go to solution Solved by brwainer,

The reason why there’s only one WiFi 6E router right now and no APs is that in order to operate on 6GHz as an AP requires very specific rules. Just like operating in 5GHz carelessly interferes with existing users (weather and military radar), operating in 6GHz carelessly interferes with other licensed uses. Therefore anything operating in 6GHz without a license has to employ measures to detect if something non-WiFi is nearby, especially if the AP is in any way designed for outdoor use. The client side is easier because clients just follow and obey what the AP says.

I was researching my options for purchasing a new router as my current ASUS RT-ACRH13 is only able to run as a 2.4 GHz AP. I got to looking and it seems that all the WiFi 6 routers are decently expensive and why would I want one when WiFi 6E is coming later this year. I looked and it seems like the only 6E devices available are network cards so I got to thinking that if I slapped one into an old PC (Dell surplus or something) I could make an access point there. I looked into it and it turns out to do this you need a card with Master Mode or AP mode, but it seems most of the ones I can find are simply Client only (all Intel chips are). It'd be cool if someone with experience doing a Linux PC router could chime in, or even bet if LTT could make a video, I'd be stokes. Anyways, if anyone has any thoughts, please share them. (picture from broadcom.com)

wi-fi-6-frequency-bands.jpg

The reason why there’s only one WiFi 6E router right now and no APs is that in order to operate on 6GHz as an AP requires very specific rules. Just like operating in 5GHz carelessly interferes with existing users (weather and military radar), operating in 6GHz carelessly interferes with other licensed uses. Therefore anything operating in 6GHz without a license has to employ measures to detect if something non-WiFi is nearby, especially if the AP is in any way designed for outdoor use. The client side is easier because clients just follow and obey what the AP says.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: