Need help upgrading

Don Loong II
Go to solution Solved by flashiling,
1 minute ago, Don Loong II said:

It doesnt stay the power draw on the package it came with

does this mean you don't know how much W your psu has?

if you're talking about your storage device, then it usually doesn't say the power draw since it's not very much.

so you should have no issues using it in your pc

I want to upgrade my storage with a WB blue 240gb hdd but i dont know if the power supply is enough for the upgrade, i need help calculating the Wattage of the pc. If someone could do it for me, id be glad XD. (specs on my profile)

not sure how much I trust that PSU buuuuut to answer your question yes it'll be more than enough

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

4 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

not sure how much I trust that PSU buuuuut to answer your question yes it'll be more than enough

I agree but, ill wait more answers. Still unsure if i shld upgrade 

usually your storage devices aren't drawing an insane amount of power, so unless you're already doing daily coinflips with whether or not you get enough power to your system then i don't think you'll have issues

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

wut?

the only issue you might have is the right power cables.

But that might not be the issue, only the version of the PSU might be. Else so long you have an PSU with the common power cable for that SSD/HDD and SATA cable (SSD not HDD?). It should "just work", also you already have some storage and there shouldn't be much reason as for why you can't add more. If you had more GPU and CPU power draw or more plugged into the system, then it could be worse, but storage is not the first thing to really care about.

If the PSU is not up to the task, that would be more of a concern and if it would be a fire hazard or destroy some components.

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

wut?

the only issue you might have is the right power cables.

But that might not be the issue, only the version of the PSU might be. Else so long you have an PSU with the common power cable for that SSD/HDD and SATA cable (SSD not HDD?). It should "just work", also you already have some storage and there shouldn't be much reason as for why you can't add more. If you had more GPU and CPU power draw or more plugged into the system, then it could be worse, but storage is not the first thing to really care about.

If the PSU is not up to the task, that would be more of a concern and if it would be a fire hazard or destroy some components.

U made me confused, i wanna upgrade my storage cuz i need space for some files 

1 hour ago, flashiling said:

usually your storage devices aren't drawing an insane amount of power, so unless you're already doing daily coinflips with whether or not you get enough power to your system then i don't think you'll have issues

Wdym coinflips?

Wdym coinflips?

it was just something i made up to try and explain that if your current system uses 495W (just an example i don't know what your system uses) and you want to add a new drive that might use 10w more, then you'd be going over the 500W limit on your psu (again just using the 500W psu as an example), which isn't good.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

42 minutes ago, flashiling said:

it was just something i made up to try and explain that if your current system uses 495W (just an example i don't know what your system uses) and you want to add a new drive that might use 10w more, then you'd be going over the 500W limit on your psu (again just using the 500W psu as an example), which isn't good.

How do i calculate how many watts my pc uses?

How do i calculate how many watts my pc uses?

you look at the powerdraw of the individual components and add them up.

but if your current build is the same as what you've written on your profile system then you should have absolutely no issues.

650W is more than enough for your system

5 minutes ago, flashiling said:

you look at the powerdraw of the individual components and add them up.

but if your current build is the same as what you've written on your profile system then you should have absolutely no issues.

650W is more than enough for your system

if you're talking about your storage device, then it usually doesn't say the power draw since it's not very much.

3 minutes ago, flashiling said:

Okok ty, ive been debating with myself if the psu will blow up. Anyways thanks!

27 minutes ago, flashiling said:

Hey, i was gonna open my case then i got a small amount of electric shock thats kinda constant. Its at the tips of my fingers, what do i do?

Hey, i was gonna open my case then i got a small amount of electric shock thats kinda constant. Its at the tips of my fingers, what do i do?

first of DO NOT TOUCH your computer parts right now.

3 minutes ago, flashiling said:

first of DO NOT TOUCH your computer parts right now.

Im not touching them, im too scared HAHAHAHA

you seem to be charged and you risk shocking your components and destroying them.

Get a esd wrist band and make sure it's grounded.

if you don't have one here's a few ways you can do it.

also make sure that your psu is also turned off (flip the switch to 0) when touching the components inside your computer. (personally i also remove the power cable, people say it's not nessecary but i just do it to be certain that it's off).

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/186888/How+do+I+ground+myself

6 minutes ago, flashiling said:

you seem to be charged and you risk shocking your components and destroying them.

Get a esd wrist band and make sure it's grounded.

if you don't have one here's a few ways you can do it.

also make sure that your psu is also turned off (flip the switch to 0) when touching the components inside your computer. (personally i also remove the power cable, people say it's not nessecary but i just do it to be certain that it's off).

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/186888/How+do+I+ground+myself

I dont have an esd wrist band and cant buy one rn cuz my parents dont have their salary yet. But i have a voltage tester that has a ground and a red wire (i forgot the name)

I dont have an esd wrist band and cant buy one rn cuz my parents dont have their salary yet.

did you check the link i sent you with other ways of achieving similar effects?

4 minutes ago, flashiling said:

Yes, but they all say use an esd

band

I have a voltage tester tho

16119155366706468995864011476231.jpg

Reach over and touch the center screw of a wall electrical outlet, if the house is wired with a ground. Touching a radiator or gas pipe will also work. But do this every time you sit down as walking around on most carpets will generate a charge.

https://www.wikihow.com/Ground-Yourself
another way to do it.

Spoiler

16119155366706468995864011476231.jpg

personally i don't know how those work so i can't say how to use it 😄