Removing my laptop cover to reduce HEAT

Hey, my ASUS FX505GD laptop cpu, heats astonishingly fast when gaming,like a minute after most of the games start it jumps to 87 C°,I tried thermal paste replacement,cleaning air vents,fans,but nothing seems to work,a friend proposed a solution, but I want to check,if its applicable? before doing it.the proposed solution is just to remove the back cover to enhance air flow circulation,so will that work?

you can see the proposed solution picture attached

Laptop specifications

Cpu:Intel Core I5 8300H

RAM:8GB

GPU: Nvidia Gtx 1050 

HDD:1 tera HDD+256 SSD

FB_IMG_1608275633272.jpg

Yeah if you remove the back panel it will have better thermals, however it would need to be propped up on something. As well as you'd have to me more careful to not short anything out on the mobo.

looks sketchy... I know I wouldn't be comfortable using my laptop with the motherboard and everything exposed.

i highly recommend looking into using Throttlestop to undervolt your CPU and maybe tone down turbo boost a bit. I have an Acer with the same CPU & GPU as you and got my temps down 15-20 degrees by doing just that.

Powerspec 1530 (Clevo PB50DF2) ~ i7 10875H ~ RTX 2070 Super 115W ~ 32GB DDR4 ~ 2x 1TB NVMe ~ 2TB 5400RPM ~ 1080P 240hz matte IPS

Gigabyte G1 GA-970-SLI ~ FX 8320 @ 3.3Ghz, 1212mV ~ 16GB DDR3 ~ Radeon 570 4GB ~ 512GB NVMe ~ 2x 1TB HGST 7200RPM

Xtras ~ Dell 22" 1680x1050 matte IPS monitor ~ Logi M705 mouse ~ PowerA Fusion Pro Xbox One controller ~ Sony XB950N1 headphones ~ Epson V700 film scanner

Streaming Setup ~ OBS Studio with AMF encoding ~ iVCam bridged to LG G6 ~ Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface ~ TONOR condenser cardioid mic

On 1/29/2021 at 2:29 AM, Natty Ice said:

looks sketchy... I know I wouldn't be comfortable using my laptop with the motherboard and everything exposed.

i highly recommend looking into using Throttlestop to undervolt your CPU and maybe tone down turbo boost a bit. I have an Acer with the same CPU & GPU as you and got my temps down 15-20 degrees by doing just that.

Well I have tried both the intel utility and throttlestop but they simply both don't work,I have taken down the volatage to -150 and nothing changed nor it crashed,thanks to ASUS bios update which is not supporting undervolting anymore.

• 1 year later...

How is this working out for you??

I am considering doing this myself, my laptop just hits 95+ even watching youtube videos.

Did you have any issues with this later? like any problem due to dust getting in or anything of that sorts?