Will HP Z420 upgrade with Ryzen 5 work?

Go to solution Solved by NTDaws,

No this is not possible at all. Intel and AMD are two different platforms and sockets. You would need to build a whole separate computer.

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  Video Editing, Multimedia Playout

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): i want to buy a HP Z420 or HP Z400 with a Xeon 2.8ghz processor then upgrade to a ryzen processor., PNY P1000 graphics card, 8GB RAM

9 minutes ago, Mista Alff said:

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  Video Editing, Multimedia Playout

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): i want to buy a HP Z4200 or HP Z400 with a Xeon 2.8ghz processor then upgrade to a ryzen processor., PNY P1000 graphics card, 8GB RAM

What does an HP Z400 with a Xeon processor has to do with AMD Ryzen ?

Just now, Biomecanoid said:

What does an HP Z400 with a Xeon processor has to do with AMD Ryzen ?

this is why i am here, i need help. i know not. Will i be able to upgrade or do i have to swap the board? be kind please

No this is not possible at all. Intel and AMD are two different platforms and sockets. You would need to build a whole separate computer.

The geek himself.

6 minutes ago, Mista Alff said:

this is why i am here, i need help. i know not. Will i be able to upgrade or do i have to swap the board? be kind please

This is my setup upgrading the Z400 to its max capabilities:

8 minutes ago, lexusgamer05 said:

I couldn't find anything about the Z4200 but I could find the HP Z400 which looks to be fairly standard inside

HP Z400 Workstation Review - SlashGear

Looks like you only need to buy a standard ATX Ryzen motherboard and your chosen processor

I also found this which you will probably find helpful, it goes over putting an ATX motherboard in the Z400 because it uses non-standard mounting hardwareand how to wire the front panel. I'd also recommend you swap out the PSU 

He means HP Z420

2 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

This is my setup upgrading the Z400 to its max capabilities:

thank you this definitely helps, but I now understand what you meant, they are incompatible