Help - Transferred used NVME from Old Mobo to New Mobo, detected by bios but can’t boot into Windows. See images

4 minutes ago, mahyar said:

first things first where were the file you want to recover?

second press  control+alt+t

then type

lsblk in the terminal that shows up

It is not detecting it. Maybe it has something to do with it being NVME? Is there a driver I should get? Here’s the picture:

image.jpg

Just now, mahyar said:

were those files an c drive? just to guide you correctly

Yes, and don't worry I appreciate your guidance

Just now, WilierRuby said:

It is not detecting it. Maybe it has something to do with it being NVME? Is there a driver I should get? Here’s the picture:

image.jpg

strange the drives are not being detected at all i though they just not mounted

i never had issues with nvme drives 

i suggest you reboot and boot to ubuntu again BUT this time select th "try ubuntu" options 

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

2 minutes ago, mahyar said:

strange the drives are not being detected at all i though they just not mounted

i never had issues with nvme drives 

i suggest you reboot and boot to ubuntu again BUT this time select th "try ubuntu" options 

Tried it, still couldn't detect :/. It is plugged in because BIOS is detecting it with the right storage, but it calls it "windows boot manager (500gb)"

Edited by WilierRuby
manager, not drive

Tried it, still couldn't detect :/. It is plugged in because BIOS is detecting it with the right storage, but it calls it "windows boot drive (500gb)"

i think your last hope is to install windows on another drive then mount the nvme drive there honest im out ideas

Just now, mahyar said:

i think your last hope is to install windows on another drive then mount the nvme drive there honest im out ideas

haha I hate to inform you but I tried that, had an SSD mounted to my MOBO, installed windows and booted, went to disk partitioner/management but it couldn't initialize the disk and I couldn't detect it. Weird stuff. I'm not sure if it is worth trying on the old motherboard it was previously on

haha I hate to inform you but I tried that, had an SSD mounted to my MOBO, installed windows and booted, went to disk partitioner/management but it couldn't initialize the disk and I couldn't detect it. Weird stuff. I'm not sure if it is worth trying on the old motherboard it was previously on

wait so it get recognized?

if yes try to image it

1 minute ago, mahyar said:

if yes try to image it

It did get recognized as Disk 0, but when I right clicked to initialize, it said "Disk does not exist" or something like that

if yes try to image it

I really don't know what went wrong in this. I thought switching mobos was fine and when it kept BSODing I safebooted, it logged me on, I installed latest drivers and then when it reset, BSOD non-stop and then recovery drive. Don't know how to repair it....

It did get recognized as Disk 0, but when I right clicked to initialize, it said "Disk does not exist" or something like that

use a software like paragon and try to image it 

it might work

Just now, mahyar said:

it might work

ok, I'll plug it in right now and try. Thank you

6 minutes ago, mahyar said:

it might work

Wait... you mind checking this? This is my NVME, is it possible to create a new partition to install windows without deleting anything? Please advise 🙂

image.jpg

Wait... you mind checking this? This is my NVME, is it possible to create a new partition to install windows without deleting anything? Please advise 🙂

image.jpg

if you got free space on a partition you can install without  formating

though i never tried it

though i never tried it

Yeah there's no partition, even if I try to extend it, it won't be enough. I'll download to SSD and try to recover from there

21 minutes ago, mahyar said:

though i never tried it

Um... this happened. I might shut down and reinstall? Cortana said she’s getting things ready and let’s just say.... they’re not ready. Waited for 5 min.

image.jpg

29 minutes ago, mahyar said:

though i never tried it

Going to download Paragon, but this is the problem

image.jpg

Get hirens boot CD, it's got a bunch of tools, there's a mini windows 10, that boots on the ram. It's also got some neat HDD tools. Like diskexporler, driveimage xml etc. 

It's never let me down grabbing things from a failed drive. diskexplorer should work. 

I don't think it's failing though, just had the same issue when upgrading my PC and tried using it in my sons PC in the meantime. 

Proud owner of a custom water cooled Ryzen 1400. 5800x  

1 hour ago, Npiet1 said:

Get hirens boot CD, it's got a bunch of tools, there's a mini windows 10, that boots on the ram. It's also got some neat HDD tools. Like diskexporler, driveimage xml etc. 

It's never let me down grabbing things from a failed drive. diskexplorer should work. 

I don't think it's failing though, just had the same issue when upgrading my PC and tried using it in my sons PC in the meantime. 

Thank you for the reply, I'll try this before saying screw it and deleting everything. I downloaded the ISO on my USB and will boot it from my PC, I'll let you know what happens. Thank you for your help 🙂

1 hour ago, Npiet1 said:

Got it, booted and this is weird. What does this mean for the drive? There’s no c: drive, only a boot drive labeled x: with 500MB (not GB like my hard drive) of storage. I attached photo: 

image.jpg

Yeah don't worry about "this PC" I didn't expect it to be in there. There's software built in that can (sometimes) force mount the drive.  Is it in your device manager and have a look in diskexplorer. It's an app built in. If not try partedMagic, though you'll have to boot in linux not windows 10. 

Proud owner of a custom water cooled Ryzen 1400. 5800x