Will I need to upgrade my PSU?

PhilipAG

Okay.. this a long one. But I need some help if possible.

So I'm currently upgrading my PC from my previous build and I have bought an i9-10900k and an ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E gaming motherboard to go along with it. Right now I am saving up to buy an RTX 3080, but since none are in stock, I will be using my GTX 1080 from the previous build for a good while. Problem is, the z490-e from Asus has an 8(4+4) AND an additional 4 Pin connector, so 12 total. However, the PSU that I currently have is a 700w non-nodular from Thermaltake and only has a 4+4 EPS cable, so not enough to populate the additional 4 on the motherboard. I know that the i9 10900k is a power hungry CPU and since I intend to do overclocking, will I need to upgrade my PSU in order to be able to populate all the 12 pins AND provide enough wattage to the system? Again, I will be using the GTX 1080 from EVGA.

Thanks a lot!

I recommend getting a 850watt 80+ Gold but as long as you have the base connectors required for all the components, you should be fine at least for the meantime. Worst case scenario you can't run usage heavy applications until you upgrade.

8 minutes ago, NutronSe7en said:

I recommend getting a 850watt 80+ Gold but as long as you have the base connectors required for all the components, you should be fine at least for the meantime. Worst case scenario you can't run usage heavy applications until you upgrade.

Thank you for replying! So, say I don't upgrade my PSU for now, and only populate the 8-pin EPS and ignore the additional 4 on the mobo, what kind of issues could I run in? Could it possibly harm any components? Thanks again for taking some time to read these.

edit, I just re-read your reply. I definitely speed-read it the first time. Appreciate your quick response!