Building a PC stand/server rack questions.

EmoChipmonk

This is less of a PC Build and more of a server one... a SERVER RACK one that is. So small story time. IP was planning a stand that could handle my 100lb monster of a pc build when its done (a guess. Empty its around 60 somthing lb atm) And i figured i could use the area beneth the legs in to a storage space. Then i got the idea what if i stick a ups in there. Then what about a rackmount ups. Them some time later i got to wondering what if i made it the proper width to mount 4 rack rails. At first they were going to be 12 u but i think they will be more 16 u rails.

The idea is to use 4x4 as the corner posts to sort of keep the asthetic i originally envisioned but i was thinking of using 2x4 to be bracing posts between the left and right sets of posts. IDK how long i will make it. Mabey just 20 inches. But i do realise with 4x4 posts it ill be somthing like 27 inches wide.

The plan is to put casters on the bottom so it is moveable (because i cant move the case on top by my self). Idk if ill put sides on it. I will prob put a bottom and obviously a top on it.)

I plan on getting blank panels to ensure the spacing is proper for the rails.

While i know this is totally unessesary i love messing with pc server crap if i can so i would like to have a place to mount that that isnt an extra space in my vr ish area.
I plan on building a couple servers and having all my networking done in this rack. Also a few drawers that sit to server rails for pc crap i dont have room to store anyt where else/important info.
So my questions.

1. Would using mending plates between the 2x4 and the 4x4s be alright or should i just learn how to screw that shit together?

2. Should I just use all 2x4? Would the possible weight limit be fine with that?

3. If i plan on buying paint what kind should i get. The idea was to prime then paint black. Most likly when its all assembled as the paint will have to come later?

4. What tips do you have for a project like this?

5. Is plywood ok for the top and bottom or should i use planks?

As for why the pc will be do damn heavy.

Case: The tower 900 (60bl)
2 560 Radiators with 4x140mm fans.
2 500ml res pump combos.
All the water needed. 
prob 2 hard drives for LONG term storage at some point if i dont get a nas up any time soon.
Various pcie cards.
Gpu and CPu water block.

Corsair 1200hxi

Edited by EmoChipmonk
Added pc build

100lb! Building out of lead?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

3 minutes ago, brob said:

100lb! Building out of lead?

Its the tower 900. Its 60 lb base. I plan on maxing out its config which is ment for water cooling. It might reach 80lb but some leeway is always good,

I think you would be better off buying a used rack mount, they are usually affordable on the used market. Wood is a fire hazard, and servers / UPS are very heavy. Its best to stick with a rack made to hold that load.

1 minute ago, Retro_Unlimited said:

I think you would be better off buying a used rack mount, they are usually affordable on the used market. Wood is a fire hazard, and servers / UPS are very heavy. Its best to stick with a rack made to hold that load.

Cant really affrord that nore do i have the space for that. Any servers in there wouldnt be very heavy them selves for what i have planned. As for a ups, Even if i do get one i plan on sticking that thing on the bottom.

Here is a picture of a rack mount I had in 2011. I bought rack rails from ebay. Wood from home depot. I added wheels in the bottom. If you can calculate the weight and design it right, it will hold. I still recommend metal over wood, but if you must, it can be done.
I also completely agree about having the UPS at the bottom. Always heavy bottom to reduce risk of it falling over.

Rack.JPG

Just now, Retro_Unlimited said:

Here is a picture of a rack mount I had in 2011. I bought rack rails from ebay. Wood from home depot. I added wheels in the bottom. If you can calculate the weight and design it right, it will hold. I still recommend metal over wood, but if you must, it can be done.

Rack.JPG

I say this as a compliment..... HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

That is amazing.

Ya no i plan on having 2 or 3 drawers. And mabey 3 total 2u servers. One for a nas. One for a twitch transcoding machine. One for gaming servers .  A shelf for my ps4 .Evntually. And yes mabey a ups at some point.

Looks like just using 2x4 would work just fine for my needs.

On my rack, I used full solid sides. So its about 2 feet deep, 2 inches thick, and 48U tall, whatever that is. A few years later I cut the entire thing in half and made 2 racks, one for servers and the other for audio equipment. Rackmount shelving is amazing, I use them all the time. I now have an old google server (google mini) that I use as a rack shelf too haha.

1 minute ago, Retro_Unlimited said:

On my rack, I used full solid sides. So its about 2 feet deep, 2 inches thick, and 48U tall, whatever that is. A few years later I cut the entire thing in half and made 2 racks, one for servers and the other for audio equipment. Rackmount shelving is amazing, I use them all the time. I now have an old google server (google mini) that I use as a rack shelf too haha.

Full solid sides? Like thats not 2x4? Or you used plywood or somthing

Here is a picture from 2010 when I was wiring everything up. You can see the sides are solid all the way back. You can build it with 2x4 but make sure to support it VERY GOOD so it does not collapse.

rack back.JPG

As for wire management, I got hook/loop straps from home depot, made to hold extension cords and hoses, which worked perfectly to hold my wires up. I had power wires on one side and network wires on the other.

Cables Left.JPG

Cables Right.JPG

Hopefully I helped you get some good ideas, and best of luck making it. Here is a side view of how I had it.

Side view.JPG

Just now, Retro_Unlimited said:

Hopefully I helped you get some good ideas, and best of luck making it. Here is a side view of how I had it.

Side view.JPG

WHen i do the sides i think im just going to have a black mesh or somthing. might mount fans but  I wont decide that till later. IDK if i could find sides like that so ill prob just use 2x4s. Would mending plates work or should i just learn how to screw   things together?

You can use brackets, but think of how much force is on every screw. Screws can only take so much before they snap. Bolts would  be better, but still they only support so much. Rack mount equipment weights a lot, and I am sure over time you will be adding more and more to it.

5 hours ago, Retro_Unlimited said:

You can use brackets, but think of how much force is on every screw. Screws can only take so much before they snap. Bolts would  be better, but still they only support so much. Rack mount equipment weights a lot, and I am sure over time you will be adding more and more to it.

This paticular build is more for ME stuff. If i had more then whats already planned i would buy a rack and stick it i nthe living room. This is just a hobby of mine and other then some light content creation i dont have any huge goals. i moslty like to tinker with things.  If i had somthing that was a permenant deployment then it would not be in my room. (other then a nas