Do you use Vsync?

Frestylezz

I've seen a fair amount of people over the year that always are like "Vsync, let's leave that turned off". I, for one, have always left it on (or enabled it when it was disabled) because I don't see the point in rendering more frames then my monitor can handle. I honestly can't think of a single reason to disable it (especially with Nvidia's Adaptive Vsync).

I was just wondering, do you guys turn Vsync on or off, and for what reason?

I left it off when I first built my gaming pc because I thought all the super high framerates were cool for some reason. Nowadays I leave it on because I noticed screen tearing on games and figured there is no point in working my video card than absolutely necessary.

I honestly don't know how anyone can deal with the tearing that occurs with Vsync disabled. It totally ruins the experience for me. Vsync definitely stays on when I game.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I keep it off unless there's tearing. Back in the day, turning on Vsync introduced mouse lag in some games. Me keeping it off is just a legacy habit of that phenomenon.

I keep it on most of the time, unless its a game where i rarely get up 60 FPS

3770K | GTX970 | 16GB DDR3 | Corsair RM750

Depends on the game, but usually yes. V-Sync / Adaptive V-Sync > Screen Tearing.

Any game that I get over 60 FPS I will turn it on because I just can't stand the screen tearing that happens.

I enable Adaptive V-Sync in pretty much all of my games, but I always make sure I have enabled Triple Buffering in the Nvidia control panel as well. I prefer the smooth 60fps with no screen tearing, and with Triple Buffering and Adaptive I don't notice any performance hit or input lag at all.

I tend to keep V-Sync on as often as possible.

However some games benefit more than others from having it on or off.

Best thing I can recommend is to try playing each game with it on and off to see which "feels" better. It has been posted before that, rarely you can get input lag while using V-Sync. Just like the rest of the video settings you need to adapt and change them to meet your specific needs in each game to get the best possible set up.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Coming from using a 60Hz monitor for years I always used v-sync off and on depending on the game type, but now that I've upgraded to a 120Hz monitor I need to get over 120fps in games to experience any tearing which is rare for new games.

So I don't use it anymore.

Since I got a 670 it's always on. On the 560ti I had I would try it without, any screen tearing and I'd turn it off.

The input lag used to annoy me with vsync but that's pretty much unnoticeable now with triple buffering. But I still find with rts style (including mobas), that the camera feels like it has a slight delay when moving it around, so I have it off in rts style games.

In single player games it depends if I notice and tearing.

No vsync is always off. 120Hz monitor and more fps the better for me.

it depends, on some games I keep it on and other games I keep it off.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT

MB: ASUS ROG Dark Hero VIII 570S

MEMORY: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 32GB (8GB x 4) @ 3200Mhz

CASE: Corsair 680x

STORAGE: 256GB M.2(PCIE) EVO 970 | 1TB Curcial M.2 (PCIE) SSD

PSU: Corsair RM850x

Im using Adpative V-Sync and it works great for the games that support it.

Otherwise I keep V-Sync on, I can't stand screen tearing.

I'm not sure I quite follow the thought process of turning off V-sync on a 120 Hz monitor. V-sync will allow up to 120 FPS so what is the point of turning it off? It's not like you're going to notice anything more than 120 frames if your monitor can only output 120 Hz.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

I leave it on. Screen tearing is bad m'kay.

i5 3570K - MSI GD65 z77 - 660ti 2gb SLI - Kingston HyperX Blu 8gb (4x2gb) - Corsair H100i - Corsair 500r - Corsair HX 850w - Kingston HyperX 120gb SSD

I am one of those people the author mentioned. I ALWAYS turn it off.

I've noticed that in a lot of games it causes a very slight stutter, which i find way more annoying than screen tearing.

Depends on the game. First Person shooter, I almost always leave it off, unless the game is really slow-pace. I can't stand mouse lag. However, third-person games are not too difficult with mouse lag.

I use Adaptive V-sync via the Nvidia control panel.

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 | CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k OC'd @ 4.5ghz | GPU: MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) | SDD: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | HDD: 3 Western Digital 1TB  Hard Drives | PSU:Corsair Professional AX750 ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply | Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Mid-Tower

Don't use vsync cuz I play all my games fullscreen windowed :P

Spoiler

Tantō

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
  • Central Processing Unit: Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • Random-Access Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Aorus GeForce 1080 Ti
  • Power Supply Unit: Corsair Professional Series AX750
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52
  • Storage: AData S599 60GB + AData SU650 500GB + WDC Blue 1TB +AData SU800 1TB
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Audio: Logitech 2.5 Speakers + Feenix Aria + Bose In-Ears
  • Monitors: 2x Acer Predator XB271HU
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

• Device Model: Samsung S20+
  • Operating System: Android 10
  • Read-Only Memory: One UI  2.1
  • Kernel: Stock

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide

I always turn it off cause I always notice mouse lag when I turn vsync on. Never experienced tearing thou.