IPS vs TN Panel

llamacarrots

So I've been doing a good amount of research, as I'm looking to buy a 144hz monitor, not too cheap, but also not burning my bank. I've pretty much settled on this one monitor, the Asus TUF VG249Q.

The one thing that's been worrying me is that it's ips display. Now, obviously it advertises 1ms response time, but I can't remember how many times people say IPS has super slow response times compared to TN.聽

Is it really that bad? Or am I overthinking. And as a side note, how does the monitor pair up against the VG24VQ. Pretty much the same monitor, but with a VA panel.

I appreciate anything! 馃檪

I wouldn't worry about it too much. RTINGS looks on it favorably聽and at this point, most IPS panels that aren't ass-cheap will have decent enough times. The worst one I've seen is a friends ViewSonic el cheapo 1440p panel which was genuinely horrible in games like FH4.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

so i own both a tn panel monitor and an ips panel monitor. the 1 ms ips response time is great. the compromise on color accuracy and viewing angles on tn is just really bad in my opinion. get ips

I own the exact monitor model and I can say it is amazing, the only thing that bothers me are a few stuck/dead subpixels on the monitor.

6 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. RTINGS looks on it favorably聽and at this point, most IPS panels that aren't ass-cheap will have decent enough times. The worst one I've seen is a friends ViewSonic el cheapo 1440p panel which was genuinely horrible in games like FH4.

Thank you so much! That's great to hear! I'll be picking up the monitor in a few days! Super pumped!!

7 minutes ago, Red_Fox_1293 said:

so i own both a tn panel monitor and an ips panel monitor. the 1 ms ips response time is great. the compromise on color accuracy and viewing angles on tn is just really bad in my opinion. get ips

That's exactly what I'll be doing! Thanks so much !! 馃檪

4 minutes ago, blackviking03 said:

I own the exact monitor model and I can say it is amazing, the only thing that bothers me are a few stuck/dead subpixels on the monitor.

That's is so so great to hear!! I just found it at a STEAL of a price, and I am beyond excited to get it very soon! Would've payed full price, but can't go wrong with some dollars off :)))

All the hours of perusing paid off B)

Regardless, glad to hear the kind words of the monitor!聽

Monitors have gotten to the point where IPS is fine in terms of response time, so I don't think you need to worry.聽

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT聽(1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

4 minutes ago, ProjectBox153 said:

Monitors have gotten to the point where IPS is fine in terms of response time, so I don't think you need to worry.聽

Great to hear!! Thanks !!聽

I went from an Asus PG279QR (1440p IPS 165Hz with 4ms delay) to a Asus PG258Q (1080p TN 240Hz with 1ms delay)...

I regret and wished I stick with the better screen. Honestly, faster response time and more frames isn't everything and that's coming from a guy that MOSTLY only plays competitive multiplayer games and the occasional single player. A nicer display will look better and you'll have a much better experience, plus as people have said above, IPS panels have got much faster.

Just ordered a Samsung G5 34" for myself anyway so I can now enjoy the best of both worlds! 馃槃

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4聽M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU:聽Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case:聽Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW聽175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"聽 + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

54 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

I went from an Asus PG279QR (1440p IPS 165Hz with 4ms delay) to a Asus PG258Q (1080p TN 240Hz with 1ms delay)...

I regret and wished I stick with the better screen. Honestly, faster response time and more frames isn't everything and that's coming from a guy that MOSTLY only plays competitive multiplayer games and the occasional single player. A nicer display will look better and you'll have a much better experience, plus as people have said above, IPS panels have got much faster.

Just ordered a Samsung G5 34" for myself anyway so I can now enjoy the best of both worlds! 馃槃

Thanks for the info!!聽

Yeah definitely skip VA one it's worse. While TN is the faster tech, modern fast IPS are very good so yeah get that one.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink |聽Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |聽Seasonic Focus GX-850 |聽Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver) |聽Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen)聽| Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah definitely skip VA one it's worse. While TN is the faster tech, modern fast IPS are very good so yeah get that one.

Great to hear! Hopefully going to pick it up today!! Fingers crossed 馃檪