System upgrade

Milky Karcher

My friend found a old system in his basemant and he's wondering if we can upgrade it on a budget. 

Specs:

-mobo: msi Z77A-G43

-CPU I5 3450

-GPU ASUS GTX 660

-RAM 12gb of patriot g2 1600mhz

I sugested to buy a it 3450k and a rx570 so he can play at descent frame rates. What is your opinion on this? 

p.s he dosent want to spend alot of money and understands that he cant play ultra 4k on a budget

Just get a 570 or a 580 and probably get a PSU upgrade since the upgrade to a 3450k is not worth it.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

5 minutes ago, The-One-Polish-Guy said:

Id recommend going with a lower tier ryzen and a new mobo to make it more modern and new, instead of buying an new-old cpu, if hes planning to actually use for main game machine. 

Just now, Prodigy_Smit said:

Just get a 570 or a 580 and probably get a PSU upgrade since the upgrade to a 3450k is not worth it.

I agree that the 3450k isnt worth it. 

Just now, Prodigy_Smit said:

Im thinking of a good overclock on the 3450k

Just now, The-One-Polish-Guy said:

3450k is not really worth it tho, i would just stay with the 3450 instead. That extra "k" isnt worth the price. 

21 minutes ago, The-One-Polish-Guy said:

just buy a 3770 if you had to upgrade the CPU, which you dont

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

1 minute ago, Downkey said:

just buy a 3770...

It's in the price range of a 2700x here in poland so thats a no

6 minutes ago, The-One-Polish-Guy said:

It's in the price range of a 2700x here in poland so thats a no

then dont upgrade the cpu. upgrading a cpu just too overclock is a very large waste of money

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

40 minutes ago, The-One-Polish-Guy said:

My friend found a old system in his basemant and he's wondering if we can upgrade it on a budget. 

Specs:

-mobo: msi Z77A-G43

-CPU I5 3450

-GPU ASUS GTX 660

-RAM 12gb of patriot g2 1600mhz

I sugested to buy a it 3450k and a rx570 so he can play at descent frame rates. What is your opinion on this? 

p.s he dosent want to spend alot of money and understands that he cant play ultra 4k on a budget

What is the budget?

The 3450k doesn't exist. I assume you meant a 3570k? Either way don't that cpu can't play modern games anymore even with a max oc it's still going to stutter and be a mess. Just get a low end ryzen like a 3100 or something that will be beyond better that and it will be able to play todays games.

For gpu a used rx470/570/480/580 or gtx 970/980/1060 would be good.

1 minute ago, Duckster said:

What is the budget?

As low as possible just to get descent framerates in cod in 1080p on med settings

11 minutes ago, The-One-Polish-Guy said:

As low as possible just to get descent framerates in cod in 1080p on med settings

Are you okay going over 300? 
Used RX 580 - 130
Ryzen 5 1600AF - 110
b450 pro4 + 2x8, 120

If you can only pay for a GPU thats okay 

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

15 minutes ago, Downkey said:

Are you okay going over 300? 
Used RX 580 - 130
Ryzen 5 1600AF - 110
b450 pro4 + 2x8, 120

If you can only pay for a GPU thats okay 

Im gonna ask my friend im probably gonna give him 2 of my old 8gb stick since i upgraded to am4 last year, and tell him to get a gpu

12 minutes ago, The-One-Polish-Guy said:

Im gonna ask my friend im probably gonna give him 2 of my old 8gb stick since i upgraded to am4 last year, and tell him to get a gpu

You need ddr4 for ryzen. What cod game? Warzone? Yeah you need at the lowest a 4c/8t cpu as that game does not work well on anything lower than a cpu with 8 threads.

19 hours ago, jaslion said:

You need ddr4 for ryzen. What cod game? Warzone? Yeah you need at the lowest a 4c/8t cpu as that game does not work well on anything lower than a cpu with 8 threads.

I used to play warozne on a 4570 and a gtx 760 last year and it wasn't that bad for him like 50 fps will be more than enough.

2 hours ago, The-One-Polish-Guy said:

I used to play warozne on a 4570 and a gtx 760 last year and it wasn't that bad for him like 50 fps will be more than enough.

I'm not talking about framerate here. I'm talking about stuttering and future games. Quad cores are done for simple as that. The new consoles have 8c/16t cpu's the only reason quad cores stayed relevant for so long is because of lack of innovation and competition. The moment ryzen dropped devs that ported from console stopped optimizing a game that used 7cores to run on 4. They just left the multi threading in tact as people were getting 6c/12t cpu's and then the stuttering and issues began on the i5's.

It's why a 2600k gives you a very pleasant gaming experience whilst a i5 7600k does not. Sure it has a higher average framerate but it's unstable as can be whilst the old i7 has a stable and good framerate.