Microsoft Teams videoconference on i386 Linux system

Hi.

My son needs a computer for his homeschooling. The school got the best idea in using Microsoft Teams.

I want an 32bit slim Linux system to get the Job done.

(Btw i got it running on my 64bit i5 System wothout Problems)

So usualy one would Install an distribution and then follow the instruction unser which  can install an teamsforlinux pakage.

This i got running.... But without videocalls....  But i want it to work.

So this is the sport for us now.

I thought building an virtualmachine and running an 64bit Version in it running teams64 bit.....  But the needles eye would be the 1gb RAM sich ist available an the system to use...

The system:

Celeron m 420

L1 16kb

L2 1mb

RAM 1gb

(2*512mb ddr2 dimm)

20gb od freue HDD space

What would you suggest?

cYa

hAt

Running a 64-bit guest on a 32-bit host means no hardware acceleration, so it would be extremely slow and probably unusable for calls, especially if video is enabled, even if RAM was not the issue.

I would suggest using a 64-bit CPU and a 64-bit Linux distribution. Most modern distributions don't even support installation on a 32 bit CPU anymore. Getting it running on such an old 32-bit CPU would be a lot of work that is (most likely) ultimately pointless because the software would be too slow to use properly.

~edit: You could try running it in a browser (just sign in to https://teams.microsoft.com). You don't necessarily need the Teams client. But I'm not sure how far you'll get with just 1 GB of RAM and e.g. Chromium or Firefox. It runs fine on Firefox here, but I do have a 64 bit CPU and the latest Firefox on a system with 16 GB RAM.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Thanx for the Input.

As i said, i did allready  what u suggestet. And its running.

But i want it to run on a 32bit machine.

The Browser does the same what the teamsforlinux-app does. It worx without the function of videocalls.

Ford example U can use Zoom without a Problem....

3 hours ago, hatnixzuverlirn said:

But i want it to run on a 32bit machine.

The Browser does the same what the teamsforlinux-app does. It worx without the function of videocalls.

Looks like you need a supported browser for video and Firefox is not one of them:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/get-clients#web-client

Edge and Chrome should work, so for Linux you're somewhat limited to Chrome (and maybe Chromium?)

The page also contains a link to Microsoft's official Linux repositories for the desktop app.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/get-clients#install-teams-using-deb-package

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

-> Moved to Linux, macOS and Everything Not-Windows

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv