HP Omen Gaming laptop advice.

Go to solution Solved by RAM555789,

Laptops normally run HOT. All your parts are packed close together so it makes it hard to vent heat. It pretty normal even in a gaming laptop to see temperatures get up into the 90C range. Your CPU you will notice has an H at the end that indicates its a laptop type CPU and has limitations that run it at a lower clock speed and less power than a comparable desktop CPU to reduce the heat. Your CPU will also start to thermal throttle when you get up into the 90C range so you may notice some performance loss as well.

The thermal jumps you see are likely a result of some background windows process momentarily using your CPU to do something causing it to start using more power for a moment hence the sudden spike in temps.

Morning/afternoon/evening, wherever you will be reading this post from.

im new to the forum and new to PCs and laptops and just after some general advice and hopefully to gain some computer knowledge along the way.

Here are my system specs.

HP OMEN Laptop

Processor - Intel® Core™ i7-10750H Processor
- Hexa-core
- 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz
- 12 MB cache
RAM 16 GB DDR4 (2933 MHz)
Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
- 6 GB GDDR6
Storage - 1 TB HDD (7200 rpm)
- 512 GB SSD
SCREEN
Touchscreen No
Screen size 17.3"
Screen type IPS LCD
Resolution Full HD 1920 x 1080
Screen features - 144 Hz display
- Anti-glare
- WLED backlit
- 300 nits

Now all of the above is completely jargon to me, but I asked for a gaming laptop to get started, this is what got recommended.

I have something on there called Omen control centre and I noticed the idle temperature is sitting between 29 - 35 degrees Celsius, now and again it will jump up to 65 - 69 degrees Celsius is there anything that warrants the jumps?

Also while gaming it hits anywhere from 69 -98 depending on game.

setting I’m running it on is generally low upto high, never tested on ultra.

The overall question I’m looking for is what temperatures are safe, is this normal for my system?

ive already got a cool pad and all that good stuff.

thank you for taking the time to view my post and look forward to your responses.

Laptops normally run HOT. All your parts are packed close together so it makes it hard to vent heat. It pretty normal even in a gaming laptop to see temperatures get up into the 90C range. Your CPU you will notice has an H at the end that indicates its a laptop type CPU and has limitations that run it at a lower clock speed and less power than a comparable desktop CPU to reduce the heat. Your CPU will also start to thermal throttle when you get up into the 90C range so you may notice some performance loss as well.

The thermal jumps you see are likely a result of some background windows process momentarily using your CPU to do something causing it to start using more power for a moment hence the sudden spike in temps.

Sorry, still getting used to this forum. Thank you for your reply. I’m so new to this and I feel like it’s something I’ll never learn haha.