RTX 3070 Poor Cyberpunk performance

Hello there,

I am new to the forum (but not to Linus YouTube channel, been following him since the days in NCIX). I recently bought a new GPU (EVGA XC3 ULTRA RTX 3070) to improve my gaming experience in Cyberpunk. But it seems that everything I have tried haven't improved my performance.  

I even tried to seek help in Nvidia reddit, but they removed my post (maybe they don't wish to admit the game is garbage or the GPU has some serious issues).

Maybe some of you could suggest a fair solution.

As title says. Can’t get steady 60fps. Average is 50FPS while in some places it drops to 35FPS. My settings are all High, except ray tracing is on Ultra and DLSS is on Quality. Sometimes while driving I am getting FPS drops.
According to monitoring, my CPU is between 70% to 90% while my GPU is constantly on 95%+. Temps are fine (on the 60 ~ degree). I am playing on 2K with GSync monitor.

Also Nvidia monitoring shows I have render latency of 30ms.  My game is running on SSD.

My PC Specs:

CPU: I7-7700

GPU: EVGA XC3 ULTRA RTX 3070

PSU: Corsair RM750 WATT GOLD

Motherboard: Asus Strix Z270H

Ram: Dual Channel 2400mhz DDR4 CL15 2x8GB

Storage: WD BLACK Nvme + SanDisk Ultra II SSD + WD Green SSD

Things I have tried:

Tried to overclock my RAM, got a stable overclock to 2933mhz but there was no difference all.

Tried to overclock my GPU, got +100mhz on GPU core, maybe a 2 fps difference? 

Things I commented on reddit which I am sure will be mentioned here:

For all those folks says "get a 3080" or buy a new CPU, it's not an option. I already spent enough $$$$$. (I bought my 3070 last month, in my country it cost 900 USD, and it was even considered "cheap" compared to the local market).

Also I don't think I deserve to lower my settings because according to CyberPunk official system requirements, for 2K resolution with ray tracing, I meet ALL OF THEM. The game is garbage or there is something with the drivers. 

For comparison, DOOM Eternal is running ABSOLUTELY AMAZING on my system, I am getting on 2K +200FPS while every setting is maxed!!!! (And much other games with maxed settings such as RDR2, BF5, Minecraft with ray tracing and much more)

Screenshot of performance inside Cyberpunk: https://imgur.com/a/qSig1vl

For all of you saying "your CPU is not good enough", go watch this, he also has RTX 3070 but with Ryzen 7 5800X, still he gets the same performance as I get (with the exact same settings). 

https://youtu.be/jyaKyiWKcd4?t=323

I am not saying my CPU is a monster according what we have these days, but according to my testing he not showing any sign of bottlenecks. And again, other users with far greater CPU's are getting similar performance as I am getting.

Please help me to solve this issue. 

My humble setup: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/T2hrW3

I dont think there is much to solve here, you're pretty in line with what performance you're supposed to get with high settings, an RTX 3070, and Ray Tracing on Ultra at 1440p. Sorry 😕

TLDR: Cyberpunk is really hard to run

3 minutes ago, justinaylmao said:

I dont think there is much to solve here, you're pretty in line with what performance you're supposed to get with high settings, an RTX 3070, and Ray Tracing on Ultra at 1440p. Sorry 😕

TLDR: Cyberpunk is really hard to run

Thanks man... your comment is appreciated ...

Nvidia recommends RTX 3070 for Cyberpunk 2K gameplay.... Are they recommending 40fps gameplay or the are just lying to their consumers? 

Just now, DisneyDriver said:

Thanks man... your comment is appreciated ...

Nvidia recommends RTX 3070 for Cyberpunk 2K gameplay.... Are they recommending 40fps gameplay or the are just lying to their consumers? 

I think theyre recommending it for 60 fps, but probably on high settings with Ray tracing set to a lower value or DLSS set to performance

2 minutes ago, justinaylmao said:

I think theyre recommending it for 60 fps, but probably on high settings with Ray tracing set to a lower value or DLSS set to performance

Look

image.thumb.png.12258c274ca44bca053f374bf19bea47.png

They Wish even to max my settings haha... with their settings I get maybe 5 fps more (cause of the dlss) but still the fps drops in the markets areas with all the lightning effects 

I know you said you didn't deserve lowering the settings, which I absolutely get but have you tried putting the game at 1080 and using dlss to get to 1440?

I'm not too knowledgeable on the 3000 series but if you can scale up to 4k or 8k then I don't see why 1440 from 1080 shouldn't work

Apparently it doesn't look too bad

:]

Look

image.thumb.png.12258c274ca44bca053f374bf19bea47.png

They Wish even to max my settings haha... with their settings I get maybe 5 fps more (cause of the dlss) but still the fps drops in the markets areas with all the lightning effects 

Yeah I mean every company tends to inflate their own performance numbers by around 5-10%, so I think the numbers that you are getting are reasonable. Only thing you could do to get higher FPS is lower some settings so its a smoother experience

Just now, Mounika said:

I know you said you didn't deserve lowering the settings, which I absolutely get but have you tried putting the game at 1080 and using dlss to get to 1440?

I'm not too knowledgeable on the 3000 series but if you can scale up to 4k or 8k then I don't see why 1440 from 1080 shouldn't work

Apparently it doesn't look too bad

Please see my previous comment my settings are event not maxed....

I am playing on 2K why to downscale to 1080p? 

1 minute ago, justinaylmao said:

Yeah I mean every company tends to inflate their own performance numbers by around 5-10%, so I think the numbers that you are getting are reasonable. Only thing you could do to get higher FPS is lower some settings so its a smoother experience

But again why Nvidia writes "get 3070 for 2K RAY TRACING ULTRA MOHAHAHA GIVE US YOUR MONEY" if it can't do the job at playable framerate 

if you are using dlss on quality you should be running in fact in 1080p and dlss upscaling at 1440p

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

But again why Nvidia writes "get 3070 for 2K RAY TRACING ULTRA MOHAHAHA GIVE US YOUR MONEY" if it can't do the job at playable framerate 

Gotta get that press somehow xD

2 minutes ago, DisneyDriver said:

From what I've seen, dlss upscaled to 4k and 8k look great without the performance hit

:]

1 minute ago, justinaylmao said:

Gotta get that press somehow xD

https://www.nvidia.com/en-eu/geforce/campaigns/cyberpunk-2077/

Please check my attached link, they are listing what GPU you need for each resolution.

1 minute ago, Mounika said:

From what I've seen, dlss upscaled to 4k and 8k look great without the performance hit

I am running at 2K...

1 minute ago, Dr0y said:

if you are using dlss on quality you should be running in fact in 1080p and dlss upscaling at 1440p

I don't understand, I need to set my resolution to 1080P? 

8 minutes ago, DisneyDriver said:

Because DLSS will upscale it for you. Also important to not is that DLSS is not "just" upscaling. From what I've seen DLSS 2.0 is pretty impressive when upscaling to e.g. 3840x2160 (which is in certain ways probably less difficult than upscaling 1080p->1440p, less pixels to worry about).

6 minutes ago, DisneyDriver said:

35-50 FPS are perfectly playable frame rates, and should be even more so with G-Sync on. That you personally don't consider this playable is your beef. Also you say you have ray tracing on ultra, that stuff is expensive.

Side note: 1440p is not 2k.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I don't understand, I need to set my resolution to 1080P? 

The way dlss works is that it renders at a lower resolution and upscale it to the resolution you're playing.  If you play at 2k with dlss on you render to 1080p or 720p depending of the dlss setting ... it makes it easier for the gpu than run it a native resolution. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

2 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

The way dlss works is that it renders at a lower resolution and upscale it to the resolution you're playing.  If you play at 2k with dlss on you render to 1080p or 720p depending of the dlss setting ... it makes it easier for the gpu than run it a native resolution. 

I don't understand man.... In nvidia geforce experince this is written

image.png.7eeef26860543c80ef163dbac42837a3.png

When I set apply in the game it says the display output resolution is 1440P. Should I change it? But my output will not be 1440P if so...

2 minutes ago, tikker said:

Because DLSS will upscale it for you. Also important to not is that DLSS is not "just" upscaling. From what I've seen DLSS 2.0 is pretty impressive when upscaling to e.g. 3840x2160.

35-50 FPS are perfectly playable frame rates, and should be even more so with G-Sync on. That you personally don't consider this playable is your beef. Also you say you have ray tracing on ultra, that stuff is expensive.

Side note: 1440p is not 2k.

so what is 2K haha 

And I have GSYNC on 

Look even Nvidia recommended raytracing is Ultra... 35 fps is pain in the eyes lol. I don't wish for 100FPS but constant 60FPS would be appreciated 

1 minute ago, DisneyDriver said:

I don't wish for 100FPS but constant 60FPS would be appreciated 

Then try it with dlss on performance and see how it performs

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

You have exactly the performance i'd expect from your hardware. My 3080 also only manages to hold 60-70 fps with all ultra + ray tracing + DLSS on quality. If you want more FPS, play around with the ray tracing settings. You can disable lighting and shadows for a slight drop in graphics quality. The RTX reflections is the setting were you will notice the biggest difference compared to rasterized reflections.

When i play on ultra without ray tracing i get around 100 fps. And the game still looks awesome without ray tracing.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

Then try it with dlss on performance and see how it performs

Of Course i'll get more fps with lower settings that's not the point here

2 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

You have exactly the performance i'd expect from your hardware. My 3080 also only manages to hold 60-70 fps with all ultra + ray tracing + DLSS on quality. If you want more FPS, play around with the ray tracing settings. You can disable lighting and shadows for a slight drop in graphics quality. The RTX reflections is the setting were you will notice the biggest difference compared to rasterized reflections.

And the 3080 is marked for ultra raytracing in 4K not 2K LOL 

My hardware is fine

The game is the problem here/The drivers 

Putting it on performance does not reduce the setting if you don't want to ... it reduce the resolution it's upscaling from

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

2 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

Putting it on performance does not reduce the setting if you don't want to ... it reduce the resolution it's upscaling from

The result is degradation in image quality 

Edit: Already tested, DLSS Quality looks the best

2 minutes ago, DisneyDriver said:

And the 3080 is marked for ultra raytracing in 4K not 2K LOL 

My hardware is fine

The game is the problem here/The drivers 

Yeah my 3080 can do 4K ultra with raytracing at 60 fps. But i can only achieve that when using DLSS on auto. So it's on "perfromance" most of the time, but when i get indoors or to less demanding areas it will set to "quality". But in 4K even the performance DLSS settings still looks very good. DLSS on lower settings is more "forgiving" at 4K or higher.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

Yeah my 3080 can do 4K ultra with raytracing at 60 fps. But i can only achieve that when using DLSS on auto. So it's on "perfromance" most of the time, but when i get indoors or to less demanding areas it will set to "quality". But in 4K even the performance DLSS settings still looks very good. DLSS on lower settings is more "forgiving" at 4K or higher.

So what are you suggesting? Putting on Auto? 

The result is degradation in image quality 

so you tested it ? ... how was the fps ?

It's either that or play at lower graphical setting

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

Just now, Dr0y said:

so you tested it ? ... how was the fps ?

It's either that or play at lower graphical setting

DLSS Balanced gave me more 5~7 fps than Quality

DLSS Performance gives 60+ fps (still drops in some parts of the city tough), but the image looks so bad  😞