Coil Whine? Capacitor Screech? PSU Just getting old? All of the Above?

NiceNChrispy

First of all

Intel 8700k (Not OCed)

Asus Strix 2080Ti

ROG Maximus X Hero

HX1050w PSU (I know it’s overkill, but it was a Christmas present when I built this)

So yesterday my PC started making a weird noise under load playing games.

(See first video)

At first I thought it was my last remaining hard drive finally dying it’s loud death. I backed up, Unplugged and still the same noise, I also unplugged the fan case controller as I thought its coils might be whining when ramping up. They weren’t the issue (but that’s why my rear fan isn’t spinning in the rest of the videos)

Next I took out my GPU and put my CPU under load, still the high pitched noise, but not the horrible screech.

(See second video)

Next put the card back in, under no load

(See third vid)

Then GPU back in under heavy load (I was playing Spce Engineers when it started so I booted that back up High 1440p)

(See fourth video)

Now I want to assume that the card is causing the issue, but the Mobo sound is also new at the same time this started happening. Which makes me think it might be to do with power delivery/management or my PSU. No odd noises coming from it though. As I am self employed, working from home and need my PC for my job I would love to find the quickest and cheapest solution to this. I can’t get hardware from other people as we are in lockdown in the UK.

Thanks for slogging through this!

83A199FC-C81C-447C-BBD4-5B4AA18D8DD0.MOVFullSizeRender.movFullSizeRender.movFullSizeRender.mov

That does sound horrible.  Try stopping the fans on the GPU with your finger when you hear the noise.  If the noise stops, then it's a bad fan.  If you keep hearing it, then it is coil whine. 

If you are all of a sudden getting bad coil whine from the gpu and motherboard when you never did before, it's not crazy to think its the power supply.  Could also be your wall power.  Have you recently moved the computer to a new spot in your home?  Have you plugged in something else in your home that could be causing "noise" in your home power?  For example: I installed a dimmer switch in my office so I could turn down the brightness of my ceiling lights.  That dimmer switch was causing a horrible buzz and whine in the power supply of my computer.  I removed the dimmer switch and it solved the problem.   

I have troubleshooted the fans, they are running fine and don't stop the noise when held briefly. Its the fact the Mobo and GPU noises started seemingly the same time. Nothing new added in home or into the power strip. The PC has it's own dedicated power strip for it and monitors etc. I should hopefully have a power supply avaliable to me in the next couple of days to test to see if that is the issue. Time to get everything our of the case!

That would be my next suggestion. Buy a new power supply from someplace with an open return policy like Amazon. If the new power supply doesn’t fix the issue, return it for a refund and go back to the drawing board.