Threadripper 3000 and ECC Ram

Hello everyone,

I turned my old gaming pc into an unraid server but it lasted a week and now the power supply died. I guess that's what you get when you try to ask an 9 year old psu to run 24/7. So now I'm debating going all out and building a new threadripper server instead of reviving my old system. I'm not sure that I really need ecc ram but I was wondering what support does threadripper 3000 series have for ecc? I've never looked at ecc before so I'm not sure what the difference between registered and unbuffered is or if that makes a difference to the cpu. 

Thanks

Threadripper only supoprts unregistered ecc, no registered ecc will work.

You might as well go ecc, as its not much more, and most boards support it.

What are you using it for? You might be better off with a am4 based system or a used server depending on your needs.

So if I go ecc I need unbuffered correct?

I'm going to use it for things like plex, nextcloud, bitwarden and possibly a minecraft server. I'm also going to run a few VMs on it which is why I was going to go threadripper.

Also, any recommendations for which brand or set of ram?

5 hours ago, Viper-694 said:

So if I go ecc I need unbuffered correct?

Yup.

5 hours ago, Viper-694 said:

'm going to use it for things like plex, nextcloud, bitwarden and possibly a minecraft server. I'm also going to run a few VMs on it which is why I was going to go threadripper.

What are those vms?

Im am doing all of that and more on a 3900x, with very little cpu usage, threadripper seems way overkill for you 

Thanks for the help.

Threadripper is likely overkill for me but I'm a bit of a nerd that likes to overspend on stuff too. The VMs I want to use to offload cad and video rendering from my main pc and a few other ideas I haven't fully  fleshed out yet.